Tiny spots on leaves during last phase

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by viamias, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have 1 Indica and 1 Sativa each in a 5 gallon container, soil is Fox Farm Ocean Forest Organic Potting Soil, under 430HPS, in a 8\' (height) x 4 (deep) x 5 (long) space with oscillating fan - temperature during day is 75-80 and at night is 70 (Fahrenheit), Botanicare feeding schedule/products (PureBlend Pro Grow 3-1.5-4 & Pure Blend Pro Bloom 1.5-4-5).
    Both are on their 6<SUP>th</SUP> week of flowering and Indica\"s pistils started to turn amber just a couple of days ago. Don\"t have ph readings for you (as I started this to see if I could get them to grow before dropping considerable $) but would like to get them through for the finished product.
    On Sept. 10<SUP>th</SUP> and on Sept. 27<SUP>th</SUP> I fed it Alaska Morbloom 0-10-10 (1 tsp/qt of H2O every 10-14 days is the feeding schedule on the bottle) ALONG with the usual ProBloom feeding.
    On Sept. 25 I fed it the molasses solution.
    I\"ve not treated it for Mg but will be doing this in the next day or so since it is now showing a lack of it (leave tips curling up).
    The problem appeared right after the 27<SUP>th</SUP> so I have been watering it with plain old H2O and, since, the Indica\"s soil has not dried out.
    **Problem is that about 1 week ago the Indica started to show tiny (salt granule size) brown spots on the upper to middle leaves (but not on these last-couple-days\" recent/new growth)
    Am concerned that it might be a fungus gnat problem since I first noticed them less than two weeks ago, though I\"ve been raking the soil and killing them \"manually\"-
    I will be treating it with the neem oil solution and garlic powder on soil surface with the sticky traps.
    Can fungus gnats cause such damage?
    Will the \"over-watering\" cause it?
    Should I wait until the soil dries out before I treat it for the Mg?
    \"Nute burn\"?
    I\'ve been reading just about every \"deficiency charts\" I\'ve come across but I think I\'m suffering from information overload because I\"ve been searching for the last few days but can\"t seem to pin-point the exact problem. :eek:
    As it only has about 9 more days (prior to the leeching time) to treat it, I would like to do it as soon as possible.
    (Would like to post pictures but , ha-ha, can\'t seem to focus on the downloading instructions juuussst yet.)

2. sounds like you have a ph issue

since you have no idea what the ph is then you certainly didnt ph balance the nutes that you fed the plant & Alaska Morbloom 0-10-10 is extremely acidic

no matter, since your in the last week or so , flush the plant for its final flush, & dont worry about the spots, as long as they dont continue after the flush

flush your plant with fresh water 3 times the volume of the pot

eg: 1 gal pot = 3 gal flush

3. Thanks for taking the time to read that long inquiry and thanks for the help (once again):wave:

4. I had a problem like that and it turned out to be spider mites. It began as a smattering of gold spots like someone had sprinkled dust on the leaves, and I made the mistake of ignoring it for a while and my plant got ravaged.

Neem oil works really well for that. Two treatments a week apart seems to have taken care of it, and I plan a few more just to be sure.

5. That\'s exactly what it looks like...like someone sprinkled gold dust on it. Aaaggghh! - spider mites!! = that won\'t do!! I\'ve checked the leaves for them and can\'t see any but (I think) it\'s not unusual to not be able to see them as they are quite tiny.

I thought that it could be \"rust\" but the color leans more towards gold than towards rust.

It\'s weird because the color of underneath the leaves is not gold, it\'s white - was that the same with yours?

Yeah, tomorrow I will treat it with neem oil and from thereon will start a flush treatment (taking into consideration that it will most likely need more than one neem oil application).

Thanks for your help.

6. That\'s exactly what it looks like...like someone sprinkled gold dust on it. Aaaggghh! - spider mites!! = that won\'t do!! I\'ve checked the leaves for them and can\'t see any but (I think) it\'s not unusual to not be able to see them as they are quite tiny.

I thought that it could be \"rust\" but the color leans more towards gold than towards rust.

It\'s weird because the color of underneath the leaves is not gold, it\'s white - was that the same with yours?

Yeah, tomorrow I will treat it with neem oil and from thereon will start a flush treatment (taking into consideration that it will most likely need more than one neem oil application) as previously suggested by GanjaGuerilla.

Thanks for your help - it is definitely appreciated.

7. Yep, just like mine. Gold dust on top, white spots on the bottom. At first I couldn\'t see the mites because I didn\'t know what I was looking for, but when the problem became more advanced I could see the webbing they leave behind and some tiny, tiny black dots crawling around on the under-side of the leaves.

I have three plants right now. Two are in veg right now and seem to be in full recovery, but another was deep into flower that just got ravaged to the point where I\'m thinking of just cutting it down and starting again.

Boy do I feel stupid for letting the \"dust\" go when I first saw it, but I learned the lesson. I hope you do a lot better than I did. :)

8. Often if you hold a pice of white paper under a leave and gently shake the leave the spider mites will drop off so you can see them on the paper.Spray with neem oil.Usually 3x a few days apart making sure to cover all the plant and the under side of the leaves also.

9. Before treating it with neem oil or flushing it I decided to leave it alone until the soil dried just to make sure I wasn\'t overloading it. Meanwhile, I did set the sticky traps and manually raked the soil/killed gnats. I did this for 3 days and then watered it with H20.
    I tried holding a piece of white paper underneath while gently shaking the leaves but got nothing out of it.
    Since then I have not noticed any more gnats and the new growth does not have any spots on them. I\'m hoping that it will remain this way because it has about 2 more days before leeching.
    I then treated it for Mg deficiency by foliar feeding it with epsom and by adding dissolved epsom to the water for one day.

However, while foliar feeding it I noticed that one of the lower, smaller branches turned \"yellow\" and I don\'t know why it did this. The branch is now cannabilizing its leaves but its new stem growth seems to be reverting back to green.

I am hoping that it\'s a sign of the plant\'s natural cannabilization of itself = ???

10. Before treating it with neem oil or flushing it I decided to leave it alone until the soil dried just to make sure I wasn\'t overloading it. Meanwhile, I did set the sticky traps and manually raked the soil/killed gnats. I did this for 3 days and then watered it with H20.
    I tried holding a piece of white paper underneath while gently shaking the leaves but got nothing out of it.
    Since then I have not noticed any more gnats and the new growth does not have any spots on them. I\'m hoping that it will remain this way because it has about 2 more days before leeching.
    I then treated it for Mg deficiency by foliar feeding it with epsom and by adding dissolved epsom to the water for one day.

However, while foliar feeding it I noticed that one of the lower, smaller branches turned \"yellow\" and I don\'t know why it did this. The branch is now cannabilizing its leaves but its new stem growth seems to be reverting back to green.

I am hoping that it\'s a sign of the plant\'s natural cannabilization of itself = ???

11. you spent all this time worrying about spider mites you dont have, and yet you have
    ignored my advice:rolleyes:

no wonder your plant is canabalizing itself, thats step 2 of what I suggest your problem is, any idea what your PH is yet?

12. Hmmm...I don\'t understand -- didn\'t you say to water flush with H20? Should I have used distilled water? (I let tap water sit for three days to get the chlorine to evaporate.) I\'ve read that the it should be \"leeched\" for the last 10 days = is that what you mean by \"final flush\". (Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but, what is meant by \"its final flush\"? I understand \"flush\".) Because the soil was soggy and I didn\'t want to drown it, I waited a couple of days to water it = should I have watered it prior to letting the soil dry up a bit?

\"no wonder your plant is canabalizing itself, thats step 2 of what I suggest your problem is, any idea what your PH is yet?\"

It\'s probably too early in the mornign for me because I\'m having problems interpretign this sentence (and I really want to learn) = would step 2 be getting the ph tester? I wish I could have gotten/could get a ph tester now but that won\'t happen for me until after this XMas holiday when, afterwhich, I\'ll restart a new \"patch\" with the correct tools. I\'ve read that the \"Truncheon\" is the way to go with ph testers and anything else would be a waste. Do you have any suggestions for a \"home made\" testing method or maybe a more attainable method for me at this time? Other than the Mg, I\'ve not fed it any nutes, especially since (as you mentioned) it\'s only got a short time to go.
    Like you said, (I now know that) the Alaska Morbloom disturbed the soil\'s ph (possibly causing a Ca deficiency possibly enhanced by the bug problem).
    In regards to the \"yellowing of the lower branch\", without a ph tester I see that I have no option but to let it take its course.

I am highly \"anti-bug\" and tried to target all the possible causes for the problems \"it\" was experiencing. The watering seemed to work because the new leaves are doing great (and I was also able to get rid of the bugs) due to the advice I got here = Thank you.

13. taking a ph soil run off reading and posting the readings is how you will know if this a PH issue.

the fact you used fish emulsion (highly acidic) without knowing about ph , your soil is most likely acidic

the only way to know your flush worked is to takes soil ph runoff readings

your just guessing without PH meters and 70% of the palnt issues that come thru here are PH related

14. -rep

these are ppl gg. not your dogs. you just berated a blade for doing what he wants instead of what you told them? who you think you are?

imo nothing gives you this right.

imo op...you did right for yourself. +rep
    [COLOR=\"Red\"]
    Dude, you need to leave everything to us otherwise you\'ll bury yourself. I asked you to put GG on your ignore list and have asked him to do the same now. Leave him alone. There\'s no need in any of it. *RMJL[/COLOR]

15. On the sauce again eh? ....mind your own business , dont start your shit again

go back and read ALL your bottle posts before you were banned, your the last person that should be talking about how to talk to people,

I havent berated anyone thats your job, I only pointed out he ignored my advice, he still has the same issues and he is back asking for additional help on the issue I merley continue to help the chap, because his issues wernt resolved

you can keep taking points off me , what a maroon!, you think those points mean anything to me? , & everytime you take the points away everyone runs in and builds it up IMMEDIATELY..........get it? ........... your not liked here

I only care about everyones plants being healthy, while you only care about telling everyone how many years youve been growing with your antiquated/beginner ideas & advice

YOU ARE TO HAVE ME ON IGNORE AS A CONDITION OF YOUR RETURN FROM BANNING

16. and there\'s nothing wrong w/what gg posted above?

l had him on ignore. i had to take him ofD to give -rep. i was lurking and read the post to the Op.

all this as started because of a post just like that.

gg...a least im old enough to by beer and all \"growers\" here know the deal.

oh, and if memory serves you were banned 1st becuse i felt like a rat pm rmjl and others. no need. tons of forums. just google 42O.

17. I\'m like switzerland on this matter, but have to agree with GG - I had the same spots on my leaves loads of them. I Did a PH flush and a week later its all stopped.

Lets just agree to dissagree... The ignor list on GC is there to stop outbursts and arguments. I sugest you use it, and i\'m not talking directly to either, just advice.

As for the problem of your plant, i would recomend getting a PH kit for what it costs, and it could save your plant.

I have really good water in my area and after a PH check, i ran my plant under the shower for a few minutes on cold.

Also a picture would be good fella ;)

Hope it all turns out good mate.

:smoke:

18. Having re-read your above post 420, any statement with \"At Least\" in the title is nothing more than a childish comment, yet you boast how old you are. I would have thought any person with a degree of age behind them would have figured peacefull resolutions to arguments before now.

Its Rude and Uncouth to talk to people in that mannor, not to mention your scaring away new people in this community.
    If anyone posts a problem and you have an issue with it send a Private message and leave everyone else out of it.

Again, good luck with Plant problem Viamias.

19. i went ahead and pmed rmjl dude.

thanx for the pm chaos.

gl op

did anyone besides me read post #15 of GG\'s.
    it would seem not.

20. Another thread down the drain because of immaturity and a refusal to put people on ignore. This is ridiculous. I\'m pretty sure we\'re all not in grade school!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.