Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tiny bugs (prob spider mites) in my QP. What to do?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by lithiga, Mar 31, 2014.

1. I need some help. I bought a QP brick about a month back. Haven't touched it and it has been sealed away in a CVault. I opened it up for the first time and peeled off some buds, to grind up for my vape, and put them on a white piece of paper.

I noticed a few tiny black dots start moving rapidly from the buds. When I say tiny, I mean so tiny my camphone was unable to get a picture of them, but these little bugs moved pretty fast. I dumped the bud back into the Cvault and freaked the fuck out for a while.

Been googling and it seems like they are probably spider mites but I have no clue. I assume, since my Cvault is airtight, that the bugs can't get out, but I also don't know that for sure, so I probably need to do something ASAP. The Cvault is not new but I did put some new boveda humidipacks in there before putting in the QP, however, I don't think it's the cause.

What do I do? I can't toss it, it was expensive. I did some research but I have no access to everclear or 91% ISO or anything like that (where I live is strict). So trying to do an extraction is a non-starter.

Can I freeze it all in the Cvault (because I am not opening that up again till I have a solution)? Will that kill the bugs and not harm the buds?

If I go ahead and use it (just thinking of it creeps me out, so this is an academic question), will vaporization temperature be enough to kill the bugs if it is a spidermite, or do I have to go buy a bong and combust the stuff?

Any ideas at all?

Thanks!

2. Get a ton a ladybugs..they will eat them up if not just look up spider mite killer for pot plants lol and eww I wouldn't smoke/vape till datt shit gone

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. How's the sound of roasting spiders and smoking them lol :yummmie:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Is either have my dealer give me my money back, but you said you've had it a while, so just go down to the local grocery store or pharmacy, and get some isopropyl alcohol and just soak it or something. I've never dealt with mold or mites though.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Collect them all, mash them up, cook them on oil, and rub them on your eyebrows for sexual satisfaction.

6. #6 cball, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014

strict... as in PARENTS?
    (you do know ISO alcohol is legal in all the USA?)

best idea for kids living with parents that are not allowed near iso alcohol yet can buy spidermite infested qp's of expensive shwag...

edit: make some cannabutter with that qp...the bugs won't hurt it anymore then the bugs in all the other boxed store bought food you eat.... :bongin:

7. burn them with fire

8. #8 mikevick, Mar 31, 2014
    I had some mites in my own personal grow last time. They were invisible with the naked eye bt you could see them well with jewlers loupe. If you had actually mites crawling from the bud, that sounds disgusting. That being said, let them crawl off the bud because the less the better.

I smoked my mite bud, it tasted a lil funny and crackled some.

mites also leave webbing and mite shit on the bud which is more prevelant and nastier looking than the mites themselves, probably can't noticed the webbing on a mashed up qp.

9. cball is right on point with this one.

10. #10 lithiga, Mar 31, 2014
    Thanks for the help!

There are no ladybugs where I live now. Its just not native to this country. That said, I am not sure I won't just create the mongoose problem (you know have rats, get snakes, too many snakes, get mongoose).

If I had choices, I would buy better weed, but in the choice of better life/better money vs staying in the US for better weed, I would make same the choice I made 15 years ago to get out, every time. I am not recreational, I only picked this up few months ago (last time I used this stuff was in my undergrad) because I can't take pain pharmas.

Humm, what I have is small but I was able to see a tiny black dot moving with my naked eye. I wouldn't have seen it if it wasn't on white paper and moving. Would that mean this is not spider mites?

It freaked me the fuck out, that is for sure! Ha, true but they won't all just crawl off by themselves. I really want them all dead.

I couldn't see any webbing but I have not looked. After discovering the bugs, haven't opened the Cvault again. Can you tell me though, what does the mite shit look like? Is it any specific color?

I was lucky to find the dealer I have and its only thanks to my doctor, as its a death sentence to sell. That sounds like a good idea. Would 70% ISO (all that is available) work to kill off the bugs? If so, is that safe to use as I really don't want to be inhaling ISO fumes.

I also saw it suggested elsewhere to bake my weed in an oven for 15 minutes. This was to kill off mold, but does anyone know if it would kill off bugs?

Edit: The canabutter idea sounds good, but the few methods I found needs high ISO or 190 proof to extract. Again, that is simply not available to standard consumers here. Can you link me to another method that doesn't require those things and maintains a medicinal level of potency? Also, does eating still give medicinal pain relief and nausea suppression? I have never eaten this stuff before.

11. Order some ISO alcohol over the Internet.

12. Pshhh.. Didn't even reply to my wonderful suggestion. Gratitude? Fuck that. I'll keep my mites to my eyebrows then, son.

13. lmao thats sux man, and gross. Don't smoke that chit.

I would try and get all of them out and make edibles outta it. Still gross tho...

you grind up the bud, mix it into clarified butter, let heat for awhile (crock pot is perfect), hour is good enough and strain off the butter..squeeze the remaining plant matter with cheese clothe to get all you can out of it. freeze overnight.

♪ taa daa ♫ - cannabutter.

15. THIS is the reason I started growin....

Id make hash, wax,or cannabutter with a crockpot. Cballs spot on.

16. #16 Phil N. Bowls, Mar 31, 2014
    Ya well on low heat you need to go at  least 3-5 hours cooking time.

Anyone who has made chicken or beef stock know that extractions take time.

Slow and low.

17. I think bubble hash would sift out the mites and the mite shit. The mites are either smaller or larger than the kief hopefully.

18. #18 mikevick, Mar 31, 2014
    If you have mites:

Don't heat your buds in the oven!
    If that kills the mites before it kills the thc, then you are just going to be smoking roasted mites,

which you would be doing anyway if you simply smoked the bud as-is.

i've probably smoke a 1,000,000 mites on low-grade outdoor in my lifetime, simply because it's uncared for.

probably better for you than cigs still

19. make iso hash and youll filter all the bugs out

20. lol gross as f