Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tinfoil - Safe?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sophus00, Feb 9, 2009.

1. I recently made a makeshift pipe out of a cardboard tube and some tinfoil, but I'm not entirely sold on the safety of tinfoil as bowl material. Anyone have a definitive answer for me and anyone else who isn't sure? :D

Thanks for your time.

2. tin foil is not safe. tin foil is safe up to 600f degrees and a lighter burns at around 1200f degrees. cardboard is also not safe to use. i would make one from metal or glass. acrylic works well too

3. Alright, thanks for the tip. I'll go hunt down something else. :)

4. Yea like he said you dont want to use tinfoil. Its fine for once in a while if you dont have a piece, but dont get into the habbit of using it. My advice would be to make a waterbottle bong or something similar.

5. My advice, either use glass, brass or stainless steel bowl pieces and stems. Brass contains lead, but can be soaked in a solution of hydrogen peroxide, salt and water, and it will remove all the contaminates. Once the water stops turning green all the lead should be gone. Stainless and glass are the best though.

6. My advice is to go to a gas station and get a grinder and bowl for 20$

7. your lighter is no where near hot enough to release the chemicals inside aluminum foil... dont worry

8. better to just stay away from tin-foil. but if it's the last resort... lol

9. You are probably talking Aluminum foil right?
    The MELTING point of aluminum foil is 1200 F
    the BOILING point of aluminum is 4500 F
    good luck finding a lighter that can vaporize aluminum.

If you are actually using TIN foil:
    the MELTING point of tin foil is 450 F
    the BOILING point is again upwards of 4500 F.

Either way it is so incredibly unlikely that you will be able to vaporize the metal.
    100% HEALTHY!!!!!

10. where can you actually buy tin foil anymore? i seem to only find aluminum foil. sure it can give it a crappy taste but it gets the job done when you dont have a piece.

11. well would you look at that....facts, gotta love em!

12. I dont think its melting that were worried about, its the chemicals that come off of it.

13. People have been using foil to make bowls from for a long time, just grow a pair and smoke from it. Its perfectly fine to use when your in a jam, because you would need to smoke from the foil for a long time to see any effects. I probably use a foil bowl 1-2 times a year and I havent had any negitive effects from doing so.

14. Right, because 100% aluminum foil has chemicals on it.

JUST KIDDING, it doesn't. That's why it's 100% aluminum foil.

15. technnicallyyy its 99.9, not many shit is 100%

and tin foil was phased out like half a decade ago..

16. wait, i made a makeshift bong, its real nice so were keeping it. but the piece has a REAL big hole, so we just put tin foil (or aluminum w/e) over it to use as a screen. Is that safe???

The piece is a trumpet mouth piece btw :smoking:

17. #17 sophus00, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
    Okay, so I never thought about the difference between tinfoil and aluminum foil, I call the stuff you wrap sandwiches in (and make MacGyver bowls out of) either one and people usually understand.

Edit: Oh, it is aluminum foil then, officially, and not tinfoil. Is it weird I never really knew there was a difference? :p

18. Just make a gb

You can make a nice functioning gravity bong from a 2 liter bottle, slider from bong(like 1 dollar at headshop), and a 5 gallon bucket.

19. I would stay away from Tin Foil.

Go google the harmful effects of smoking something that requires using Tin Foil

20. It can also cause Alzheimer's