Tin Foil Bad?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DopeMan460365, May 28, 2007.

1. I'v been told Tin Foil is bad to use as a reflector as it may burn the plant, fact or faux?

2. Fact. Tinfoil will create hot spots, and thus burn.

3. what would be the best alternate? My Idea is this, I'm going to take a 20inch by 10 inch by 12 inch fish tank and turn it into a grow box kinda, and just use the regular tank lights holder for the flo's, I'd cover the glass with reflectors. Think this'll work?

4. tin foil absorbs heat like someone said, and does not reflect light.

mylar will reflect light on the other hand

5. Flat white paint reflects more light then tin-foil.

6. Mylar is more reflective than flat bright white.

Flat bright white is more reflective than tin foil.

7. Unless you have the air flow sorted out, the fish tank isn't the greatest growing medium. I've tried different sizes and there are better ways.

8. what about mirrors?

9. about the worse you can do to the plants. Will burn them for sure. If you have to use something and you can't use mylar, use the matt side of the tin foil. But i believe it keeps the heat in the area, much like cooking with tin foil, thats why it's used for keeping heat in when cooking.

I would do away with the fish tank, and use an old wardrobe or something similar. Then just paint the inside with a white paint.

10. If you cant use a closet or convert something into a grow box I would suggest purchasing a cabinent from walmart or home depot. These can be had for $40+.

11. Mirrors actually absorb a lot of light and are not very reflective of light, believe it or not.

Yes foil is made to hold in heat.

12. well there you go, i didn't know that.... but i still don't think they are all that good, unless you want to make your grow space look twice it's actual size.

13. You're right, mirrors not not good.

The choices really are simple:

1) Flat (matte) bright white is basically the 2nd most reflective surface available. Since it is cheap, easy, and abundant, it should be your baseline consideration.

2) If you want to upgrade from there go with mylar.

No need to consider anything else.