Timers

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by daoneied, Aug 25, 2016.

1. The timer that came with my grow package says do not use with digital ballast. But you have to to control the lighting correct?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2. Is it a basic 24hr timer? Ive used those with my digital balast with no problems.

3. Unless you have autos, then absolutely you have to control the photo period.

My setup didn't come with one. I just use a timed digital surge protection strip.

Be kind. Learn your craft. We are one family.

4. what else would you use a timer for, that comes with a grow package????

• Like Like x 1
  5. maybe its cuz the pull at the wall is so much? everyone uses a timer wth.

6. I also use a timed surge protection strip. It doesn't say anything one way or the other.
    I'd contact the vendor and ask for a replacement. I doubt that you'll experience any problems using the one they sent, but if something does happen with your ballast while controlled by this timer, the warranty will likely be invalid.

• Like Like x 1
  7. uploadfromtaptalk1472175043961.jpg

8. 24hr i'll give it a shot

9. True, just wasnt trying to burn my house down

10. It's your call, but digital ballasts aren't cheap and their warranties are in the 3 - 5 yr range. I wouldn't want to invalidate it. Generally when a manufacturer puts a statement like that on the label it's because consumers have sued them and they're letting you know that you're on your own if badness occurs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah I think that'll work. It says 15 amps unless your using like 1800watts I think you'll be fine

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah im looking into a power strip with a timer they dont seem to be unreasonably priced. Thanks for the help!

13. The timer states not to use it with digital ballasts so I'd definitely not use it with a digital ballast. They don't put warnings on the front like that without good reason.

However, it does then beg the question why you received it in a grow package. I have no idea why you shouldn't use it with a digital ballast. If it said magnetic ballast it would make more sense as they do cause a very big spike on start up but digital ballasts are much softer starting

14. but 15 amps?? that light would have to pull 1800+ if even close to jumping the breaker.

15. i use timer to an electrical strip, and have 1000w, and 3 fans pluged in

16. its on a 15 ampere breaker too

17. Why are you assuming the warning has anything to do with the amperage?
    Like I said, it specifies "digital" ballasts, the old magnetic ballasts draw more power in start up than the digital ones so I doubt it has anything to do with power

18. I have my 600w digital ballast on a standard mechanical timer. But the timer's packaging did not state to not use it with digital ballasts

19. because the package says 15 ampere sir.... go up and look plz

20. 15 amps can handle up to prob 2000w in a burst, even, but 1400w if on long term, but just the startup would jolt, then the logical wattage would be used