Time Travel

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by grass man420, Nov 5, 2011.

1. #1 grass man420, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
    :rolleyes:does anyone have any insight into this? i always thought the biggest problem of time travel would be rematterializing into the new space time. because if theres matter occupying the space you rematterialize in i could foresee some nasty medical conditions lol.
    as far as paradoxes go i don't think the universe would have a problem with it. for example if i traveled forward in time 2 years there would essentialy be me at my current age, as i skipped over the 2 years then the me 2 years older who actually experienced those 2 years. and also i think we would be able to be room mates without one us dying in a freak accident like shown in Futurama.
    this is a thought provoking video even if its fake
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUpdrkz0xgE[/ame]
    12 parts, about 10minutes each.

Attached Files:

2. #2 PeruvianDank, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X02WMNoHSm8]Is Time Travel Possible? - YouTube[/ame]

If you have any hope of humanity discovering how to time travel in the distant (perhaps not so distant) future and you might like to visit the future (or past):

http://www.timetravelfund.com/

3. I can't see it happening. I'm sure if it was possible, we'd be having future people coming back, we have witnessed no such events.

4. "Stephen Hawking once suggested that the absence of tourists from the future constitutes an argument against the existence of time travel - a variant of the Fermi paradox. Of course this would not prove that time travel is physically impossible, since it might be that time travel is physically possible but that it is never in fact developed (or is cautiously never used); and even if it is developed, Hawking notes elsewhere that time travel might only be possible in a region of spacetime that is warped in the correct way, and that if we cannot create such a region until the future, then time travelers would not be able to travel back before that date, so "This picture would explain why we haven't been over run by tourists from the future." Carl Sagan also once suggested the possibility that time travelers could be here, but are disguising their existence or are not recognized as time travelers."

As a bonus:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lodi61U0-To&feature=related]CNN: PROOF TIME TRAVEL EXIST - YouTube[/ame]

5. I've always thought about this... If you could travel faster then the speed of light. Let's just say 10x the speed for 25 years away from earth. You could use a giant telescope to look back on earth and you would be looking 250 years into the past :bongin: you would just be seeing the light from those objects in the past. So, not sure if this would be time travel or not.

6. lol that cnn video was posted here a couple months ago.

There was a very normal explanation for the device she was holding but i cant remember what it was.

7. Random: lol @ the end of the CNN video: "Money and politics!!" ? :smoking:

But if time travel were possible, I would go forward in the future just go get a glimpse of what 2060 would look like (around the time I would be 67 years old). Flying cars? Deep space exploration? The possibilities are endless in a world where anything is possible.

Stay lifted. :smoke:

8. Yes I read this before too. If you had a giant telescope you could look back on earth and see the past if you were far away, the farther you go away from earth means you can see more of the past because it depends on when light will reach your telescope. So imagine if you away enough and had a giant telescope, you could see Jesus, if you went even farther, you could see the ancient Egyptians and farther, the cavemen. But you could only observe anything because of the light reaching you, but it wouldn't be the same as time travel. It would be very similar but not quite.

9. can't be a cell phone. they don't just magic your voice from one place to another, they depend on cell towers and satellites that didn't exist yet. also, in 2011 we have bluetooth headsets, in the future would anyone really still need to hold a phone to their ear?

10. #10 grass man420, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
    oh yea lmao i saw that on the news last night. o no on youtube actually. i was laughing postal just debunked it good lol no doubt if we have time travel we probably moved past cellphones

edit/ lmao i saw it in here after all

11. heh, it is kinda like someone from the 70s saying "holy crap its time travelers from the future just look at that eight track player"

12. Time travel in either direction is not forbidden under our current understanding of physics. In fact, the bidirectionality of observable physical events serves as evidence that we are making accurate observations.

Several theoretical machines exist on paper. However, most of them do not allow time travel to times before or after the machine's existence. And they only allow a connection between two points. Usually, they only allow the passage of information, too. Michio Kaku wrote an entertaining book where various time travel schemes were proposed.

13. insane in the membrane!! yo wouldn't sleeping be considered time travel? lol, because you sleep at 11pm and wake up at 11am. you traveled 12 hours into the future!! ... I'm high as fuck

and technically, day light saving makes us all time travelers.. going one hour ahead or one hour behind

14. Not true bro we just move back the time so we save light, were moving back in our own time irrespective of real time. It'll be considered time travel when we move past the speed of light and then this world would be obsolete wouldn't it?

There is a delay to our perception so in that sense we would be overwhelmed by the immense magnification if our filters are taken away, which i would assume what moving passed the speed of light is like.

15. My take on time travel is that the change in time has to be on infinant repeat, i will try to explain.

If something (anything) were to be changed (past or future) it would take an infinant looped impact on the perception of the fabric of time.

Heres an example, if i change the something, not every aspect of the situations impact on life can be undetstood at one time, therefore this must be repeated or altered through the new reality.