time travel...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by adamBC, Dec 17, 2003.

1. . . . . . . ok, when a star dies, it ends in an implosion, creating a black hole, therefore when it is born it causes an explosion. hence the big bang.

u know how jon tittor said that there would be a 3rd world war in 2015? is it strange that the mayans predicted something big would happen in 2014? cuz thats when theyre calender ends . . . . 2014. kinda creepy. someone posted something about this a while back . . . . let me find it . . . .

2. Sorry everyone, i have been quite busy over the last few days...not much time to get on here and post.

Let me ask everyone a question... What is it about time travel do you find so imposible..

And is time travel imposible....or improbable.

i would be more willing to agree with someone that it is improbbable but still a possble reality.

However I could never agree with the impossible.

hmmm...

Think of it this way... We as a society believe mostly what we are told. We have been told that time travel is nothing more that science fiction and that the movies is really the only place for it.

What about before man realized the earth was round... For years, man was told by those powers that be that the world was flat, so this is what the population thought. I bet sailors were scared to death when they went on trips... Even after the world was found to be round...how long do you think it took to convince all those people who had never even seen the ocean before...

there will always be non believers... Case in point. How many of you know that there are still people today that believe that there never wasa holucost... That all those jews that died, was just a hoax bu the government.

Me personaly, i believe it is those people who believe that anything is possible that make our future. Why are we so closed minded.

Bull

3. I'm not saying time travel is impossible. I'm just saying he
    didn't travel back in time in the machine that he described.

I'll post the paragraph again.

But do be careful if you start offering too many specifics. Not only might someone steal your plans and build a time machine decades too soon, but you might even slip up and end up with egg on your face. Just look at John Titor, who completely forgot to read up on Hawking radiation. His two-black-hole time machine was supposed to weigh 500 pounds. But even assuming that each of the black holes weighed 100 kg (220 lbs) - leaving only 60 lbs for the rest of the device - both of those puppies would have had to have been radiating energy at about 3 x 10e29 Watts (the equivalent of over a thousand suns), at a temperature of 1.2 x 10e21 Kelvin (twelve orders of magnitude more than the core of a supernova). And their lifetime would have been just eight trillionths of a second.

Whoops! Not a lot of time to hit the big red button.

In other words, if he tried to use the machine he described,
    he'd be flash fried instantly.

4. He did say that he could not give us all the details of his machine. Heck, it could have been made from unobtanium. I don't know. And I cannot say that I understand everything about Hawking's theory's. But remember...They are just theory's.

Of course the: I can not give out all details... could be a big copout.

This is johns words:

Also here's a post by jon titor on 3/14/01:

(Question from another poster) The faulty part of your description for your device involves Hawking Radiation. Its not the size of the singularity that matters, its the mass involved that determines the temperature of the radiation.

(Johns answer) You seem to be quite upset and I understand your argument. I do however
    think it is important to gather the facts and probabilities before expelling
    emotional energy on them. Please keep in mind that I have not shared all the
    technical details of the machine with you. So an easy out would be for me to
    just make something up.

However, and as I'm sure you are aware, Stephen Hawking admits that his own
    equations support the "possibility" that microsingularities may not totally
    disappear as they evaporate in a sea of virtual particles and in fact may
    leave behind a very stable naked singularity. I'm sure you can look that up.
    I suppose the difficult part is believing that we've taken advantage of it,
    not that it's impossible.

Well, that is all I have on this...

Please please keep posting. I am enjoying this conversation very much. It is really making us all think isn't it.

Well, smoke on and have a good evening.

Bull

5. A black hole and the big bang are two different things. The big bang happened when small particles became extremely hot and pressurized and got to the point where it just exploded...plus our sun can't become a black hole because it's not massive enough. It has to be, I believe, seven times the mass that it is now (otherwise it's gravitational pull won't be enough for the star to "suck itself in").

7. try a search in google for john titor its bull shit there are so many sites about him all differnt chek it out.

8. fuck!!!

i just made a long ass reply

and lost it ....

so what my point was ....

i dont disbelieve the posability of time travil ...i do disbelieve the posability that this guy has expereeanced it

if they have this tec...in his time that by his own warnings and the apparant reality of how fast tec grows...

in a few yrs from his time the tec to travil time would have become more powerful and easyer to use

and within no time at all they would bejin to become available to everyone with enuff money

so where are all the travilers...?

becouse we all uinderstand human natuer enuff to know there is no law we will not break

so we would have to here about and meet theses people all over the place woudlent you think?

and even before alll that

if he was real the government would have already shut him down ...

becouse who has all tec before we do ...the government

and they would surely be sending people back to help the present gov deal with the impending wars and crissis....

unless of corse the government is accualy orcistrateing the civil wars to come in order to cut back the population wich is fast consuming its resorses....

so i got alot of thoughts on this shit

9. i see it as why?? why would anyone want to come back to this time...???

time travelers arent around because they dont care about us!! if time travel ever does get inventer, we can be assured that the present time when it is will be FANTASTIC!! good enough noone would ever want to come back to now, otherwise they would have, as dingus said.

I still think the pyramids were built by people from the future. ..

10. hahaha look at what i've started. On a serious note, the civil war is supposedly coming very soon so we can see if this guy is for real or not.

11. I read that John Titor stuff and pretty much discounted it at first, but now it kinda seems feasible. Especially with the way the government is hell bent on taking our rights away with legislature such as the Patriot Act. I've had serious discussions with friends before about what we would need to overthrow the gov't and set it back up in a more traditional Republican form in which the main government has little power and individual governments have main control of what's going on. Now, he talks about the things that we've wanted to do and it's kinda creepy. I don't know how much credit to give this guy. I guess I'll sit back and watch, and if nothing happens by the end of 2004, then I'll have to go to work on my reformation.

12. i live in jacksonville :( that got me irked but like dirty said

if this world war 3 thing is going to happen
    and time travel is possible...who would want a world war 3? a nuclear holoucaust
    i dont
    so the existing governtment would obviously send as many people back as needed to change this course of history
    now i know he said that you cant change it but if you could fix or eliminate all the major players in this war why wouldnt u? 3 billion people is alot and there is a good chance that you would be affected by this drastic loss so i think everyone would be doing everything in their power to stop it

and you may say "well this cant be changed because the events are inevitable you wouldnt exist to change it if you did change it etc etc" well i see this as just faulty logic
    this is saying something like (a) cant be (b) becasue if (a) was (b) then (b) would already be (a) it looks right but you really dont know what it means it just sounds convincing

im not sure if you can follow that so if its too busted then just ignore it

13. i think i get what you were saying...

cant come back and change something, because itll be getting changed the very first time it comes about... so there will have never been a true change because the alter possiblilty will have never taken place....?? haha woah.

anything that has ever been done by someone comming back in time has happened already, or will inevitably happen as it comes to the time.

14. if i tell you next yr we will have alot more hurracains tyhan useual and next yr it happens to happen....will you believe i am from the future?

any body with some real understanding can make believeable predictions

and some of them will come true

this guy is only useing the future deal to help promote himself...look at what a celb he has become here!

look the fact remains the gov would be sending there own people back ....and maybe the reason they are comeing back is to start this civil war?

in a few short generation we all know are resorses are dwindleing..and our population is growing...

one cannot keep up with the other

so the future
    government is setting us up for a fall ...one that will eliminate a large enuff part of the population so that we will once again have enuff resorses to go arround...

some thing has to happen to thin out the populous...

like the plage in days of old

affter the torment of the plage had passed ...life became much better than it had been for generations....

there was food to go arround as well as work for any man who was willing to do a job..

so if the "natural "distrucction of the plage helped man so much....why wouldent the "unnatural "distruction of man do the same?

if all those billons die

you can bet it was set up by the future gov to help them prosper....

15. The reason we don't see travelers from fat into the future is explained by john somewhere on the site. He says the farther you go back the more things are different from your own "world". He said hes noticed some things are different in our life-line than his. Different teams winning games than in his, minor news events happening here that didn't happen there. He said that Y2k DID happen on this life-line but as we all know it didn't happen here. I think this covers why we dont see time travelers from the far future.

16. A massive world war and extra hurricanes are hardly comparable. I see what your saying though, your point is valid. Maybe a mass wipeout would be good for us.

17. I have never been a person that believed in fate. I believed every person have always had a free will and THAT determined their future - they didn't have a destined future. So if time travel does exist, how can we not have a fate? If we can go in the future, how could we have free will if we are supposed to turn out the way we do in the future?

Ugh.

18. ok sorry if i sound like im coming down on you ...im not ....

but i still think its crap....i mean so what about the differences?

if people could do it ...they would be doing it

we ignor warning lables all the time ....and we would at least see a few accidental appeances....from expairementation i just cant buy the fact that this is possable and only one guy has done it .....this does nopt sound fucked up to you ...

i mean all if all i have to do is tell you ....your not allowed to know the whole story .....but i want you to believe me even tho the part of the story i give you is full of holes...

come on man ...i think this guy rote a cool story ....

but it is still a story...

19. I see what your saying and this is just a discussion, nothing personal and i know that. Back to titor, How do we know that he is the only one to do it? Maybe he is the only one who let it be known that he is a time traveler, i'm sure there is more out there and they are just unknown to us. If i read what im saying a year ago i would have though i was crazy but his predictions.... are frightening, and chillingly coming true.

20. despite what titor has said, i have always beleived we are our own worst enemy, and that our stupidity would lead to our downfall. i guess that WWIII is inevitable.