time travel...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by adamBC, Dec 17, 2003.

1. what are all your thoughts on the possibilty of time travel..? or just any thoughts on the subject at all. its very interesting to me...

theres so much that can go along with it. like for example, think, you could NEVER go back in time in your life and murder hitler while hes still a child, because he died how he did, and history will always be like that...

from how time should work... anyone that was to come back in time from the future would do so AS time was unfolding for the first time ever, as history couldnt be changed, so the person coming back would just be a natural part of the cycle, and the history that would of happened had they not have come back would never exist...

(^^^^ wooo, lets take a breather...^^^^)

but this brings up another interesting idea. if they come back as time is unfolding, then that should mean the future is happening as the past is happening... which would lead you to believe every instant in time since the very beginning to the very end happens all at once... and happens never at all perhaps... very wierd thought. maybe it only makes sense to me. but it would seem to me that life, and time itself, is just a bunch of jumbled messages that your brain is just able to take in and descramble, just a big mess of static, and it picks up what it can. that in the constant blur of molecular motion, and possibly the superstring theories 11 dimensions of shaking... could lead time to be a very strange concept indeed....

(^^^ did i lose you yet???^^^)

back in about 2001, some scientist developed a sort of teleportation channel, but it has yet to work with matter, but they WERE able to teleport a beam of light. very differant from any sort of matter, but nonetheless cool. But thats not the least of it. The beams of light tested came OUT the otherside BEFORE they went IN. now we're talking millionths of a second, but that is still a VERY interesting idea. if passage back intime cannot happen due to an unchanging history, then maybe one could travel into the future...??

2. Tell me more about this teleportation device.

As for the time travel; time is not real time is just a convenience for humans so we can keep a schedule. Time is like a calendar.

3. i heard about that teleportation thing. i'm sure it was before 2001 though. it was in australia, and they managed to teleport it from one side of the room to the other.

but the other day i read this news article.. some scientists managed to freeze a photon (particle of light) and hold it in one spot for like.... half a second. wierdness.

as for time travel.... i wouldn't rule it out. but if it did happen i think it should only be used to observe the past. not the change it.

4. www.johntitor.com

This guy claims that he is a time traveler from the future. A little far fetched but some of the things he predicted for us are beginning to come true. Check it out

5. my friend was telling me about that machine with the light. He said that they could possibly eventually build machines large enough to travel through, but you have to have a machine on each end, the time you're going to as well as from. This would give us a limited time travel ability, but as soon as we turn it on we could expect to recieve something from the future if it works, whether it be a person or instruction on how to better build the time machine.

6. I would go back in time and teach the cavemen to break dance.

7. yea you would think the second it was turned on, people from the future would already come back... bringing us back to the whole every moment happens at once deal... cool stuff.

8. ok ..so if you travle in time alone...even 20 minuts...and you will be out in space ...or inside the moon or something very unplesent like that....

everything is moveing all the time...so my desk is "cosmiclyspeaking"not where it was a few min ago

so in order to leave this time and comeinto another one ...you would also have to travil in space at the same time...

just to stay in the same room would be very difficult.....and requier alot of math!

9. Man, that site was kinda creepy. I had a hard time getting to sleep after I read all that. I didn't understand a lot of it, but what I did was freaky!

10. yea really. that john titor guy says that his time travel machine had to lock on to an object, such as a cinderblock, so that he could return to the same space....

imagine going back intime and being plopped down over the ocean... or even just comming out 100 feet in the air... that wouldnt be so fun...

unless they did the whole portal idea, where you have an entrance and an exit, but then you could only go back intime as far as the last portal was... so 100 years after it was built, you could go back 100 years... sort ofpointless... although the ability to bring back future technology may lead to alot faster development...

11. wouldn't alot of it highly depend upon metaphysics.... and then that bring in the whole argument about the mind body problem, where as there will be another copy of you somewhere in time, same body, mind ect.... So then, who's the real you... the one who was in the past, or the current you traveling through time...would you really be you if an exact clone was there to also represent you... or would you jn fact be the copy and just be oblivious to the fact.

even if the time travel would work... what would happen to you, thats the question.....

this is some higher up shit that makes my brain hurt if i think abot it to long....

12. Time travel is for people with regrets, or people who want to get rich quick. It's not possible and it's quite silly. Still, I wish I could go back in time...

13. if i could go back ...like realy far...

i would go and spend some time with betovin...

and socrates...

fuck now that i think of it there are alot of people i would like to sepend a little time with...

14. but would they want to spend time with you is the question...

id go and find out what was going on on easter island... find where the mayas went... get the lowdown on the egyptians...

and then possible give some farming techniques to some really distand past people and see how better our technology is in the future.

15. Gee Thanks. :(

I have a tendency to latch on to these things. I'm not
    looking forward to 2004 anyway because I once saw a show
    that shoveled out a prediction that humanity wipes itself out
    that year. And now you've got me worried that the next civil
    war starts next year. Shit.

Oh well, at least if this John Titor fellow is telling the truth, I
    have a chance of surviving. Not sure if I want to, but anyway,
    it made for interesting reading.

16. one good question is how did everything come to be? the big banf theory only explains out universe, but what was before the big bang, and how did it get there? we will never know

We can try to figure out time, life, and whatever else for an eternity, but we will never find the answer. we dont have the capacity to even slightly understand what makes everything go round. and some questions will never have answers, and there isnt a mathmatical reason behind everything. existence doesnt have a rule book, and things are just because they are.

ahhh... stoned philosophy...gotta love it

17. ok . . . . this is what i think but if u listen it kinda makes sense. the universe is basically millions and millions of galaxies and stars and what not. the big bang theory is flawed because the big band did not create the universe but merely our solar system which is the sun and the 9 planets. when our sun was created the planets came with it, so when the sun eventually burns out, it will first expand to a size millions of times as it is now, destroying most of our planets, and when it does indeed burn out it will implode,creating a black hole and taking everything thats left in our solar system, so basically existense is as long as the lifespan of our sun, and the only way to reach a further existence is to develop a device to travel through space to a nearby galaxy.

18. That was a very trippy post. Think of this. Which is harder; to build a house, or to bring life into something? Obviously building a house would be the correct choice. Now, can a house ever build itself? Even if given millions of years a house can never build itself. We already agreed that building a house is harder than bringing life, so it must also be true that giving something life cannot happen without a creator, even if given millions of years. This is what we see as god.

19. if your theory is true...everything that is was created by something before it. such as you where created by your parents, and they where created by there parents etc etc. if this is so, what created god?

20. ok . . .well if u look at my post, i guess i forgot to mention that in my theory god is the sun, because if god created earth, and the earth was created by the sun with the big bang, then gods spirit lives with in the core of the sun, and if jesus was our messiah and hes to overlooking our planet, where does jesus exist? if gods spirit is within the sun, then i think that jesus spirit lies with in the moon, because in a way, the moon is sort of overlooking our planet. this may not be entirely what i beleive cuz frankly i dont know what to believe, but its just a thought. if this is true, then at one point or another, possibly now, there was life on other planets, for god to send a messiah to each of them, and the planet with the most moons would likely be the planet with the highest population, and the greater conflicts for it to need so many messiahs. how can anyone say there isnt life on another planet when all weve seen are pictures of the surface, if u look at a picture of earth from space, its not easy to see that life exists on the planet. its possible for there to be life on every planet in our solar system, mainly because the species on each planet wont be the same so theyre made up of different particles which can sustain life in conjunction with other chemicals unknown to our world. make sense?