Time to visit the doctor for lung damage

Discussion in 'General' started by BigOrange2, Jul 11, 2008.

1. I'm sitting trying to figure out whether my lungs are trying to tell me I'm on the verge of something bad, or I am simply worried about nothing.. But these burning and/or sharp chest pains seem to happen EVERY day.

I'm a daily smoker, have been for about 5 continuous years, I grind all my weed I smoke, and the average toke I take is .4-.6 ground up, every hour to 2 hours.

I also suffer from mild to moderate asthma.

I used to smoke ciggs for about 1 and 1/2 years, after every bowl I smoked, I would light up a cigg, so I know there's got to be some cigg tobacco in with the bong resin in my lungs. I quit the ciggs about a year ago, and picked up chewing because I could barely breath in the morning.

The bong I primarily use has an ashcatcher, so it's filtered twice.

Are my lungs telling me with this pain that it's time to go have some kind of scan of my lungs?

I'd also like to note that I recently purchased a VaporBrothers vape, and it doesn't give me the kind of effects I'd like, if any at all, so vaporization is not an option for me.

2. Damn dude, your giving up on the vape? It really didnt work out for you? I'm really sorry about that, I wish I could have helped more.

If the lungs are hurting, get them checked out thats not something to be ignored.

Let us know what the doctor's verdict is, I wish you the best.

3. If you have any serious concerns... you should always consult a health professional... it's always better to be safe than sorry. It's worth the extra cash to make a trip to the Doc if you catch something early on and keep it from getting worse.

The worst thing that could happen is you go and get checked out - and you're fine... and even then, you win! So I'd just say if you're really worried - it couldn't hurt to have a look :smoke:

4. Well, that's sort of why I was asking, I'm not sure whether I should be worried, because I've talked with some of my friends who have similar smoking schedules, and they have chest pains too. Also, I don't have health insurance at this time, and I'm living paycheck to paycheck.

It's not a VERY severe pain, I can ignore it, but if I think about it, I feel like hmm.. this feels like something bad is going on in there.

and to Mwayles: I was able to get some kind of effect off of it finally, but only if I havent smoked anything on the day I try it, and I'm totally sober. Even then, the effect is so mild, I actually have to use more pot in the vape than I would in the bong to get the same effect.

5. Weed seems to be F'ing up my lungs as well. For a while now i wake up almost every morning around 5'ish and proceed to cough anywhere from 15-45 min (seems to be phlem building in my lungs, it goes into my throat and i start wheezing and cant breath, when i cough it goes away for about 30 seconds then comes back and i repeat). I dont smoke cigerettes or do anything i can think of that would be harmful to my lungs (except weed)... despite this i doubt i will ever stop smoking

Toke on....

6. I'm always paranoid anyway.... but I usually wait a week or two, depending on severity - and then go talk to the doc if whatever ailment bothering me has not ceased.

7. I think I should also note that I've been experiencing this for quite some time, almost a year now. Is that any indication that it's possibly just me being overly cautious?

8. vaporizers taste like absolute SHIT!

plus they never got me high either

9. Sure... you may be being overcautious... The mind has a funny way of doing things like that... causing physical symptoms... But then again - is being overly cautious necessarily a bad thing?

10. Ok well I deal with this kinda stuff on a mostly daily basis. Goto the doc first of all, that said, you're and adult and you'll do what you want.

A few things you can try are:
    Get some stuff called ephedrine, get it from bodybuilding(dot)com
    You can also get a product from pretty much any us pharmacy called bronkaid, it contains guaifenesin (lusually taken orally (by mouth) to assist the bringing up ("expectoration") of phlegm from the airways in acute respiratory tract infections.),
    and ephedrine (Ephedrine (EPH) is a sympathomimetic amine commonly used as a stimulant, appetite suppressant, concentration aid, decongestant, and to treat hypotension associated with anaesthesia)

Ephedrine is similar to derivatives amphetamine and methamphetamine, and as such may show up in drug tests.

Both of these work to help relieve symptoms of acute respiratory inflammation ie) bronchitis, asthma.

Still though, see a doc.

EDIT: Links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedrine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaifenesin

11. Wow.... I was thoroughly impressed by that post... +rep for that.

12. No, it's definitely not. Has kept my ass from getting busted more times than I can count.

I guess I'll try to scrape up some extra money to make a trip to the doctor... I was just hoping to get a bunch of people reporting similar things from smoking a shit load for extended periods of time, so that I wouldn't have to go in to the doctor..

Either way, I'm getting some much needed feedback on this subject. Searching for threads similar to mine didn't turn up much that's exactly like my situation. Lots of people wondering whether or not smoking like once a day will hurt them, and stupid questions like that.

13. I agree with DurbanPoison, very informative post.

My asthma isn't as much of a problem as it was before I started smoking the herb, so it's fairly controlled now.

The reason I mentioned that I have asthma is that I heard people with asthma are more at risk to lung disease.

14. Maybe you can get financial aid from the hospital? I mean, I had a regular checkup (it was supposed to be before my insurance ran out, but it ran out earlier than my mom thought) and I applied for financial aid and got it all covered cos I didn't make very much money at that point.

15. Well THC is an expectorant as well, and as such, may be exacerbating your existing asthma. But chest pain is never good, so get it checked out, eh? ;)

16. You really think it could be making my asthma worse? I'm not sure if its the fact that I'm older now, or the fact that I puff the herb so often, but I never really have bad asthma attacks anymore where I need the inhaler deal.

17. if its chest pain could be its growing pains (when your bones grow ) does inside your chest feel like its cold or reminds you of cold?

18. Sort of. It's more of the feeling of a burn. Almost like a scorched torn up feeling. I pull those ridiculous milkshots everytime, otherwise I barely get stoned.

I'm 20, so I guess it's possible it's growing pains, but I havent really changed in height or weight for a few years.

19. You could always make edibles.

20. That is indeed an option.

I personally don't like edibles because of the amount of middies I have to use because of my tolerance... takes all the cost-efficiency out of making firecrackers. :(