Time To Quit?

Discussion in 'General' started by Krimble, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Hey fellow stoners. :) I started smoking Around 3 years ago. At first it was only once every couple weeks, then once a week, and in the past year, multiple times daily. 

I was never the smartest at school, but passed with grades a little above passing, even though everyone, including myself, knew that I was capable of so much more.

I did pretty good for my first year of college as a Machinist and held decent grades, because I had an interest in what I was doing. This past summer I started smoking quite a bit of wax, around 1 gram a week, but towards the end and the start of this school year I was smoking anywhere between .5 to 1g of wax every day.

My classes this year are a bit harder, but I have a harder time concentrating, my memory is really bad and I don't feel motivated at all when I'm high, and when I'm not It's worst. I just found out I flunked this semester and have to retake it, thankfully last year and this year are two separate course, so I still have a certificate of graduating last year.

This has really gotten me thinking that I should quit smoking and that weed is not for me. I'm wondering if my memory and motivation should recover over time after stopping. I would still like to light up a blunt with my buddies on a Friday night, maybe only once every few weeks, but don't want to if that brings me back to where I am as of now.

Question is, do you believe I will eventually return to my past memory and motivation? I'm just so confused right now and don't know what to think anymore. :confused:

2. I know there is so many variables, but from past experience or stories, what is your opinion? Thanks! I really appreciate any positive comments. :)

3. Take a break and start again slowly with flowers. I recommend a vape, it helped with my energy level and motivation tremendously.

You're in machining school? I'm a machinist myself.

4. Seems like right now anyway. Listen to urself though

5. If you don't think you can be at your best when you're high, then it might be time for a little bit of a break. I took one last year for six or seven months, when my life was at it's utmost worst. I had no job, no qualifications or prospects and was teetering on the edge of getting kicked out of home. 

Sorted my shit out real quick once I stopped smoking, and now that I'm back on track I can safely smoke again everyday without worrying about the little things. Still got a bunch of small debt that I've yet to pay off, but that's a work in progress.

6. I'm definitely taking a break, I'm not sure how long though, but if I do start smoking again. It will be flowers, smallers amounts, and longer interval between sessions, since I did not have this problem when I was doing just that. 

And yes, I took Manual Machining last school year and started CNC this past September. Although I do like both manual and CNC, I really procrastinated this year and I regret it so much, which is why I believe I realize there is a problem.

Are you mostly a manual Machinist yourself? Thanks for the tips bud! :)

Sorry, but what exactly do you mean? I don't know which way to take that. 

Thanks, it helps hearing from someone who went trough somewhat of a similar situation than mine. Hopefully that's what I will do. I believe this event really made me realize the problem. Thanks! Appreciate your time to help out bro.

You may be suffering from self-delusion. Perhaps you should accept the way you are, keep toking, and find a job that you can live with.

8. #8 Theone_N_onlyslater, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
    Dude im in the same position as you. Im on a one month break i smoked heavy and my memory is shot to shit you can tell me something important and like and hour passes by and i can forget we even had a canvo. Its really bad it gets me into hella trouble thTs why i decided to stop for a bit and cath up on school and read a shit tom of books to help memory

9. Just smoke through it. I had a period of time where I was not all that functional while high so I started really going at it, smoking all day dabbing hard as fuck... now I can do all my shit high and not give it a second thought. I dont know if its a tolerance thing or just kind of a mental re-wiring thing, because I had a strong held belief that it was possible to do anything at any level of high, since my friends dad is a self made millionaire and blows down and dabs at work all day

10. Well, you are smoking a hell of a lot, and it's probably playing a role, especially with the memory. But honestly I think you have a motivation problem, not a weed problem. I very much doubt weed was the deciding factor here with your lack of academic performance. 

Don't get me wrong, you should totally stop, at least for a while, especially if you're having memory problems. I just don't want you to come away from this thinking that stopping smoking is gonna be a magic fix, and suddenly you'll want to try hard in school or something. That simply may not be the case. You may need to work on that problem beyond quitting weed, so be prepared for that. 

11. #11 SlightlyStonedSD, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
    Sounds like you've got a good plan. I'm sure it's all that wax that's fucking with you. I'll bet after a week you won't notice memory problems. Consider trying vaporizing when you start again, it honestly solved a lot of problems I had with smoking.

I did a lot of manual machining in school and it's more fun but the industry is mostly CNC unless you're doing R & D or prototype work. I'm a CNC Mill Machinist now but planning on going back to school for CNC programing.

12. Ehhh I'd say way longer than a week for complete normality to return. I stopped the winter of junior year in high school and didn't smoke again until the summer I graduated and even then I smoked a 1/4 over the entire summer. Anyway I think it took until some point in the summer before senior year to feel 100% normal (mostly memory) again. I'd say I was about 90% back to normal a month after I stopped though. I'm back to feeling dumb from weed again but I'm forcing myself to deal with it

13. It's not delusion, I just never study. And when there is a class I'm about to fail, I always studied for a test, passed it with a mark in the 90% range, which then brought my grade back to passing.

Altough this year when I realized I was failing one of my classes I just smoked more. Weed deffinitively messed up my memory, but my grades might of dropped because of seshing with buddies at night instead of studying for that test I had the next day.

14. Really the key is moderation, obviously. I myself have smoked for about 3 years, and I smoke about a g of shatter a week. I also do just well enough (I'm a senior I'm high school) to pass and then some, or excel in a couple classes.
    I think what keeps me in moderation is the aspect of how much money I'm spending vs how much I could be saving or spending on food lmao.
    But really though, if being a machinist is your passion and you really enjoy it, take a break. Don't even smoke that blunt on a Friday night for a while. Give yourself at least a month to recover and evaluate what's going on. If you think you could still do better, then do it. The first few days - a week are always the worst. Find other things to occupy your time while you're taking a break too. Whenever I've smoked during what was supposed to be a tolerance break it's typically been boredom to make me do so.
    Just stay strong man and prioritize your life according to what your goals are.

"A Dab'll Do Ya!"
    "When in doubt wiggle it out"