Time: Our Greatest Enemy

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by METARON, Oct 22, 2012.

1. I don't understand why I work 8 hours a day. Why not 4 instead?

All in all, why do I even do the things I do for a specific amount of time?
    Man? How is that somebody else determines my rate of movement?

Coincidentally, I pay my bills every month. Why can't I pay every 2 months?
    Only if we could slow down and double our time times 2.
    One would only have to work 4 hours a day. 1 year would be 2 years.
    Look, I understand adaptation, but is time really an adaptation? Or a curse?

2. We all have to be on the same page to function in this society. 7:00 on friday the 8th, come work at 9:00, take a lunch around 1:00 and be done by 5:00... all while being paid 13 cents a minute.

Its just the way the world was when we were born into it

3. be your own boss
    and make your own hours....

4. Then let's say We all go on the "same page." We modify our clocks & everything.
    Yes, only question is: What is it exactly that ties us down to this method of agreeing/timekeeping? What possible variable can stop this idea?

Sigh/
    I know, it's just the way it is...sadly.
    Really though, why can't we all agree on a different time scale?

5. IDK man, I ask it everytime we fuck with the clocks and theres a 29th day in february.

6. Time is such an interesting concept. Its like some abstract intangible that we all seem to abide and live by, yet none of us can really explain it. Our society puts too much emphasis on time and order, just another stressor in our complex modern lives...

7. Time keeps our ant farm "productive"

8. The truth is, there are a lot of things We humans do that makes absolutely no sense.
    Yes, we are creatures of habit indeed.

Tell me about it.
    You are being screwed by something that has no real meaning or value: Time.

Yes, imagine living a life where everything went twice as slow.
    Everything related to time would be cut in half.
    Seriously, half the work hours, longer years, and more time to do what you want to do while still being a part of the system.

9. would the same amount of living happen from birth to death? in other words.. is death realative to our perceived idea of time or is time absolute disregarding values?

10. Time is absolute, the word is just an idea which we use to describe movement.

11. Time is fear and stress and is completely unnatural to us. When you're high does your body put stress on knowing the time? No, but you can walk and talk and eat. Time doesn't matter to dogs and they're the happiest things ever! They're always available to play and get a pat one the head. A dog always has time for you. They sleep when they want, they do these things when they feel like it. No bedtime just tiredness, no dinner time just hunger. Time is robotic. Were the only things that obey time.

12. this is because our society is shit. we're forced into a life without being able to think for ourselves. we have to obey the economy. we have to get a job. we need to get married and have children. it's wrong to be different. if i had a choice, i would live out in the woods and take unmentionables all day

13. uh.... you do have a choice

14. #14 KronicBoom, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
    LOL just about to say that. Believe it or not, to most people this "horrible modern system" we're born into is a hell of a lot better than any other time period. We have the freedom to choose between employment and wages, farming, being a business owner or even just wandering off into the woods and not being a part of the system (not recommended).

Seriously though, working 40 hours a week and being smart with my finances affords me so much freedom to do what I want and set some ambitious goals that will further improve my situation.

And to OP, if the time were to be skewed like that, your work schedule would still be adjusted to the same percentage of your available time.

15. Time is the measure of our experience in eternity. It is neither friend nor foe; how you occupy your personal slice of forever is up to you.

16. That would probably be why domesticated animals are, for the most part, very loving. If I had zero worries I would be, too.
    Yeah, domesticated animals got the good life.
    As for time being "robotic" I think the working class revolves around the global economy. What is that anchors us down to this specific rate of time??
    Is the working class being rushed to earn somebody a quick(er) buck?

Believe it or not, my life goal is to become self-sufficient. Live purely off the land. Preferably somewhere deep in the woods, high up in a mountain CAVE.
    It would cool to have a mountain community where everybody knows how to subsist in the woods.
    We would all bring our strongest talents to the table. Everybody would be dependent on each other, using goods and services as currency; the currency wouldn't have any set value.
    I will trade you a bag of roast beans for your barrel of sand!!
    Imagine having somebody on the team who knows how to grow, harvest and roast coffee beans!
    An individual skill like that would be amazing up in the mountains - especially when the nearest coffee shop is a few dozen miles away.

If sacrificing your time to somebody else, so that you can have your own time for yourself, to spend the money you earned by sacrificing your time to somebody else, so that you can have your own time for yourself to spend the money you earned by sacrificing your time to somebody else is your idea of "a lot better" then amen to you, my man - that loop is NOT for me.

Who would be adjusting this schedule? And to what percentage and why?
    The reason for twice long days is so that you would have to work less frequently, as not as long (half as long).
    We would get things done at at a slower rate, but free time would increase as a result.

17. You can call a year 2 years, and 8 hours 4 hours, but they're just gonna pay you a quarter of what you normally earn, or else quadruple the prices on products.

18. Time allows us to exist or does it?

19. That mountain community, what happens to people who aren't best at anything? The deaf? The dumb? The lame? Kill 'em all? Let them mooch? "Well, I know billy is blind, but I have hormonal dyslexic disturbia! Do my part as well!" Shit like that usually doesn't work cause people suck.

As for the time. You agree to work 8 hours for a certain pay. Agree to work less. It's callled part-time. Find someone to let you pay rent every 2 months. What's stopping you?

This is society. It was agreed upon before either of us we're even a thought.

20. Forget about society friend and rethink you :)