Time is an illusion

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by swich, Jan 10, 2009.

1. There is no time like the present. There is no other time but this time. There is no moment but this moment. "Now" is all there is.

When can you say you have existed in the past or future...you haven't its impossible because when that was taking place you were existing in only the present...

Yesterday and tomorrow are just figments of the imagination, constructions of the mind, nonexistent in ultimate reality. Time, the way we constructed it, is just a way to measure how fast one particle travel from one point in space to another. In short, time is just an attempt to measure of how much space there is to cover.

Time is not a continuum. It is an element of relativity that exists vertically, instead of horizontally. It is not a left-to-right thing, not a time line that runs from birth to death for each individual, and from some finite point to some finite point for the universe.

It is us who are moving through space, not time. Time has no movement.

Einstein illustrated that if you get into a spaceship and fly far enough fast enough, you could swing back around towards Earth and watch yourself taking off. This shows that time is not a movement but a field through which we move. Einstein then theorized that if this is the case, all he had to do was change the amount of space between objects or change the rate of speed with which he moved through space from one object to another in order for him to alter time...and thus "time travel".

Because in truth, time is an up and down thing. Like a spindle representing the eternal moment of now.

Now imagine leafs of paper on the spindle, one atop the other. These are the elements of time. Each element is separate and distinct but simultaneous with the other. All the paper on the spindle at once...as much as there will ever be...as much as there ever was.

There is only one moment. It is right now that everything is happening. "There is no beginning and there is no end."

2. We think Time exist because of the interplay between the two hemispheres of our brains. There's a delay in communicating information back and forth and we interpret this delay as Time. That is why we can not see nor hear Time. We plot it in space but what we're really doing is using matter (light, measuring stick, etc.) to plot distance. So when we use Time to cut Matter, we're really using Matter to cut Matter.

3. I agree to a certain extent.
    But, I believe that age is an affiliate of time.
    Everything ages, and due to aging, time exists.
    How we measure time is all perception.
    How we move forward in time is, as well.
    The only reason we are "NOW" is because we, as organisms, started perceiving time from our conception and recording it into our mind.

But indeed, time does not exist as far as the universe is concerned.

4. Good essay: http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/essays/chapter6.html

Audio version: http://www.learnoutloud.com/podcasts/TPP-020608.mp3

5. I think all mater is vibration - thaoughts are electricity - electricity is vibration.

to me a dream or a memory is as real as anything in the present.

6. we are stuck in the here and now

the present moment is 0

coming from the past at the speed of light >0<

going into the future at the speed of light

theres always a future but its up to what u do now

7. This jives with string theory I think... all matter is just vibrations of superstrings. Maybe. I don't really understand string theory.

But shit man, my shroom trips have convinced me that the only meaningful thing, the absolute essence of reality, the quintessence at the root of every molecule, is RHYTHM.

everything is rhythm.

ΡΥΘΜΟΣ

8. If time does not exist then we do not exist, the universe does not exist, was never created, will never be. If time does not exist M Theory is garbage. If time does not exist, then nothing can happen. So, does time exist or is it illusion?

9. im down with god source

its alot shit that goes into it but its like everything that has to do with anything

but one and one make two

10. Another interesting thought is how we use time as currency, our work at the end of the month is judged by how many hours we've worked, not how much work we've done.... interesting. :rolleyes:

11. People love reduction and simplification. It's amazing that their love for them is so deep that they with first standardize complexity.