time for my organic adventure

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by igotagun, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Fist of all I just thank everyone in this section for the knowledge I've soaked up or last couple of day's

I just about ready to mix my first soil mix. On hand I have got- alfalfa meal, crab meal, kelp meal, lime, tomato~tone,

I still need to get peat moss, some sort of aeration( I have grow stones on hand not sure how well they would be though), rock dust, humus( I found Alaska humus I hope its quality), and neem meal but have trouble finding it

I almost added seabird guano to the mix but was sure

If there's anything I should add or subtract please let me know.

Let me just say this will be my first soil grow been a hydro guy for 8 years.

One more thing I know need to cook for 5 week or so and my clone's are 2 weeks away would it be fine to just get a bag of ocean forest for now then transplant into the mix when there ready

thanks again

2. Igotagun - welcome to the forum.

The seabird guano is fine to use.

I wouldn't bother using or spending your loot on ocean forest - overrated overpriced as it is. One thing I do not see that you are sorely missing is a QUALITY vermicompost and/or QUALITY compost; these two items are the heart and soul of any successful organic garden - search carefully for the very best.

Just make up a very light mix to use for a few weeks while your soil is cycling - 2/3 peat or ProMix (I like the ProMix product as its already pH balanced), the other third compost/vermicompost. Add a little kelp/crab/neem or similar and you'll be fine while your soil cycles. Maybe just use one cup per CF (7.5 gallons) of a mix of those items and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Next time try an plan ahead - I honestly feel a proper cycling time is very important.

Kudos for dropping the chemical fertilizers - you will not regret this decision.

J

3. I'm pretty new to GC, but I'll be following to get a better understanding on organic growing to apply to next years outdoor season.

4. I'm honestly not sure what "humified compost" is, and I've never seen a commercial? compost manufacturer use an "innoculant" as it's not necessary and an added expense, but it looks like it is good compost. Give them a call, see how much it costs. Is it local to you?

I would still see if you can get some worm castings/vermicompost to mix in. Worm castings are really a "must have".

Neem cake is in a class by itself. When I first started organic gardening I made soil without neem that worked very well but I guess I like it in my mix. It's good for its pesticide benefits plus it will work as a fertilizer. You can order it at neemresource.com or neem tree farms.

Nothing is set in stone with an organic garden by any means. Chicken manure is also great, the list goes on and on. Most plant based fertilizers are fantastic.

Make sure you have good compost/vermicompost and a few basic amendments and you can't go wrong. Those are the important items.

J

5. thanks for your help

It is local but it seems there closed until next summer but there bagged product is available at local retailers

and I think I've found some vermicompost at a local feed store hopefully this will get me by and I can start making my own

6. I'm subbing up man, best of luck to you!

7. This should b a good learning experience for me. Not only am I trying soil for first time but LED's as well but I will be putting one of them in the hps room for a comparison

I just ordered some neem cake  and since I should wait for the soil to cook ill just donate my clones and make a new set

8. Where did you order your neem cake from? Neem! Neem is an almost magical soil amendment, in fact it is used as a matter of course in India (where it abounds) for both agricultural uses as well as animal fodder. It is mixed with manures to make "super fertilizer". Take a little time and check out this thread by one of our old organic gurus, Lumperdawgz. As a matter of fact, use the GC search engine and read almost anything that Lumperdawgz/Lumperdawgz2 had to say - if there was ever a true organic teacher here, it was he. Drink in the knowledge he gave us - you'll be very glad you took the time to do so.

Anyhow - regarding Neem - http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/982164-whats-neem.html

Here's another tidbit that will help show you how and why organic gardening works, and works just ridiculously crazy like it can under the right circumstances and environment - a very simple soil amendment that has really shown its true colors only in the last few years - Rock Dust/Flour.

Rock dust. Simple rock dust added to an organic soil mix can completely change everything. Take a little time (once you've read about neem cake lol) and read through this thread that I put together some time ago - again, based on information taught to me by Lumperdawgz.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1111289-rock-dust.html

Rock dust. Simple as it gets, very finely ground/shattered rock. Wow. Just wow.

An eye-opener to be sure... This will keep you busy for a little while and I guarantee that when you're done with those two threads you will have a much, much better understanding of the magic that is organic gardening.

J

9. Thanks for posting those, I just read through both of them. A lot of great information that really gives a deeper understanding than "just use this because," and i'm all about deeper understanding. I love to know how something works.

10. been a busy weekend anyhow I ordered the neem from neemresource.com  I read you rockdust thread a few days ago it  was a great read  I give the neem thread a good read thanks again you've helped a bunch

11. Welcome......to the never ending road. :)

I don't mean to confuse anyone about the issue of nutrient cycling, just wondering out loud.

Why do you think my 2nd soil mix was able to be used a week after I made it, even though I had loaded it up with raw s. nettle leaves on top of my expansive list of amendments? The only thing this one has a bit differently is more humus content, less aeration.

Igotagun - take Jerry's advice and run with it; you will not be disappointed. Lumperdawgz/Lumperdawgz2/Comfrey Query and (when you get done absorbing the basics) do more searches using Clackamas Cootz....He was/is the go-to guy for knowledge and wisdom about plant enzymes, hormones, worm bins, soil building, etc. He pretty much blazed the trail in a way that others, like you and myself, could follow and more importantly, understand.

Jerry is one of his oldest 'proteges', lol. Chunk and Jerry both continue to do the same thing he did (as in inform others) and are very experienced with these practices.

StayLowGrows - I prefer the rabbit hole analogy... :laughing:

13. I like that one too. But to fall endlessly into a hole kind of implies y
    our going nowhere (but down a hole). :) I need to smoke.

14. #15 GiMiK, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    Not endlessly, just falling into the abyss, or unknown. Alice did end up in Wonderland after a while....

Gotta love smoke breaks. :hippie:

15. "Alice did end up in Wonderland after awhile"

Good one! Lol

J

16. Looks like ill be re ordering from neem tree farms  neemsource returned my money to my account so im guessing they canceled my order they probably just hate alaska

17. Nice...

I almost moved to Alaska once.

18. got my worm bin started today and re ordered my neem cake. Anyone have any idea how long it would take to get about 5 gallons of castings. ill be picking up a coffee can size of worms for 10$ said about 50-100 worms I can always get more if needed. I tried to buy some castings off them as well but no luck said he didn't save them lol he meant he uses them

19. "I can always get more if needed."

Get more. A lot more.

J