time for a change

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by phiegnux, Jan 16, 2007.

1. well. i do believe we've sat in our own waste for long enough. i know im not the only one utterlly ashamed of the state of our nation (US). im sure we're not the only country with problems, but, in areas of social degradation, war mongering, etc. the polls would be unanimous.

we're in a bad way, and it will only get worse. if the sixties showed us anything, its that the machine will do as it will, the courts condemn who and what they want, and the police will continue to protect (their own interests) and serve (up a steaming pile of injustice). the government was afraid, afraid of what the "hippies" were capable of. its the only logical answer. even after Leary and his buds disproved theories of LSD causing chromasomal damage, birth defects etc. (all niotions presented by the government) LSD most other psychedelics were outlawed. they were afraid for their life, for their way of life- a life of being all-powerful. they wanted it their way, no on elses.

there's a short story in Albert Hoffman's LSD: My Problem Child that describes an encounter he has with a beautiful young "hippie" girl who, somehow, shows up at Hoffman's office door, and Hoffman having no idea beforehand (this is exceptionally intriguing, for she had to pass 2 security checkpoints). she states her case to hoffman saying she MUST give LBJ acid. obviously, she came to the conclusion that some peoples mind are only changable by force. im sure we've all gotten frustrated enough with someone to see eye to eye with this young angel. her name, btw, was Joan. a crusader, perhaps...

now, im 18, with one semester of high-school left. my position decreases the likleyhood that my voice will be heard, but nontheless, i have a voice. untill i really feel that im in a position to make changes, for now, ill continue to educate myself. this may sound a little lethargic of me, but i know that i must first educate myself before i plan to put what ive learned into action.

what, in our country, are problems that we are capable and/or dedicated to making a difference toward. which problems are most pressing and in need of change, and are our goals reachable, and how.

im not planning a revolution (yet;) ) i just want to hear some responses.

2. America is a great country and has done many things over the years since the late 1800's in term of inventions. Though lately our social class has changed. Everytime I go somewhere I can't say hey to a random person or look at a person and not think he's my enemy. When I was younger I went to Vancouver Canada. A great beautiful place and very peaceful. Chinatown was the only bad part of it. Everywhere else you could just talk to people and for some reason just not have the feel that the person your talking to is your enemy. Me and my dad talked to a Arabian guy who had lived their for 6 months and he taught us all about the Asian restaurants in Vancouver was a very nice guy. This is how we are just strange. We think everyone is just a enemy or a crackhead or a junkie who has aids, or someone that might jack you. The only place where everyone is peaceful, pleasant, and nice is maybe a church or fancy restaurant. Honestly I notice this when I get high and smoking cannabis has helped me become nicer and I don't judge people whatsoever. I make my judgements when I get to them. You know how college professors say the first 5 seconds you meet someone thats what you think they are for the rest of your lives. That is ultimately untrue. Saying that makes people think the people they meet for the first time are who they were the first time. Such as mean,snobby,kind,too religious, or low hygeine. I don't judge anyone till I get to know them more. This is really how everyone should be. We gotta completely judge people on the inside of them. Egnough with the social class of our country. For the war and such we need to stop it. Just get troops out of there and leave them on carriers or move to other parts of Iraq where there isn't any conflict. Believe it or not they fight EVERYDAY. My brothers's friend is in the marines and he's already killed 7 people and everyone their is dying to get the FUCK outta there but its like hell. It is impossible unless you amazingly got money for a plane ticket and ran to packistan but clearly impossible. Earlier I heard we may be attacking Iran. This is outrageous someone is truely gonna try and put us out of our existence soon if we don't stop lying to countries and the American people about "nuclear weapons." When we invaded Iraq we never found one nuclear weapon or site to build nuclear weapons. Worst of all is we police the globe too much. This just bothers me because we control countries governments the way we want them not the way they want them. Its countercultural. That is all I have to say about the war. For cannabis in America it has to legalized it is way too beneficial to mankind to get rid of. For our own nation we need to stop acting like the kings of the globe and bringing attention to us. Hitler brought all the attention in the world to him and he put up a good fight but lost on world domination. Most of all though we need to make the government stop putting out propaganda to us. The internet is now come and its the information age. We can find anything the government dosn't want us to see and find out the trurth that is really going on in the world with war and problems and such. We need to know the ultimate truth about everything to bring us together. Anyway long long reply it has alot of good insight and such you all can evaluate and change or oppose I don't care but this is a excellent thread and made me very intrested so I guess its ok to express my true opinions on America and such. Above all i'm honestly happy I grew up in America other countries have serious economic problems and poverty and i'm very thankful to grow up here in such a great country with its little problems. Peace out :smoking:

3. Heres my thoughts,

Worry about what you can change and not all the bullshit- yea things are fucked up but there are people in far greater places than all of us that already know this and are trying to make a difference.

What we need to worry about is our own destruction we are causing- worrying about wars and politics doesn't accomplish much but added stress on our already stressfull lives. I am not saying do not educate yourself on it, and have an opinion.

Do what you can do to better things around you- the enviorment, your health, the youth or elderly in your neighborhood, homeless in your neighborhood.

4. we may not be able to change the outside world but we can sure as hell change ourselves. and i think that may be just as, or more important than changing the outside world. if we can change ourselves the outside world will change with us.

people just need to be happy and aware and have loving relationships with others without the prejudices, constraints and expectations that this white anglo saxon protestant culture has put on it. i think alot of this comes from parents, television, church and school.

how? well thats a tricky one. its rare that one person will change a society in a good way (happy matrin luther king jr day:D ) . so the most you can do is live you life how YOU want to and not get bogged down in the bullshit. be a leader, travel. you may have to sleep in the street you may have to die, if it makes you happy and it helps someone else then your life is not a waste.

5. I agree, the government is impossible to be satisfied with by definition, meaning that it will always react in a way with many flaws, because human nature is flawed, and when few people get such control, there are going to abuses of power, backstabbing, dog eat dog, wars, laws that encroach freedoms, etc. I too agree that we must focus on the environment because that is the one constant that must be stable in order for basic life to continue. Personally, it isn't the humans that I'm concerned about, it is the beautiful trees, animals, sea creatures, etc. that I would hate to see killed by the stupidity of just one species, humans.

6. The earth will cleanse itself. What is the purpose of man? Plastic. Earth wanted plastic for itself and didn't know how to make it, so it created humans. George Carlin

7. great post, I agree totally. be the change you want to see in your community. a bad attitude is catching, but so is a good one. if you are a friendly, easy to smile kind of guy, you will receive a lot of friendly conversation, and see a lot of smiles. be kind. be generous, this doesn't have to be money, your time, and experience or knowledge are all things you are able to be generous with, make the world a better place starting with you. sometimes, it will be easy. other times it won't be so easy, but hang tough. when people whom aren't generally happy observe people that are, they may at times try and see the things about you that make you happy. without knowing it, your views on prejudice issues, drugs, or lots of other things, can have an effect on the sheep in this world. oh to be so young and anticipating my broach into adulthood again. peace