Time does not exist

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Maryed Man, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Now as humans we all grow up to believe in, and run our lives by the idea of "time". We even have internal clocks that run on a more or less 24 hour clock. Scientists as renowned as Stephen Hawkings have studied and theorized about time. But the fact is time doesn't even exist! It's a benchmark made by humans, in essence an idea, to help us understand how the world works. There's no way to time travel because there's no such thing, or number, as time. Things just happen; they cannot be undone.

For example, in theory, a number can be infinitely divided in half. So on a countdown timer, if you were to watch it and it had infinite decimal places you could watch 4 seconds go to 2, then 1, then 1/2, then 1/4, so on and so on of a second. If you had a setting for a timer, you could make it show every number as it was divided in half. So in theory, this HAS to happen. The number must get cut in half in the countdown, but in reality, the timer DOES run out, while the number of times it can be cut in half is infinite. It's a big fallacy in what we have always thought to be the "law" of time.

:smoke:

2. Nice
    I can feel it now

3. Hahaha tell us something we don't know

4. Time is just a tool.

5. Ive seen time... i know it to exist

6. I like this! Thumbs Up!

7. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN4KC_zlW4g&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

8. Time was just a human invention to help our survival, basically the measurement of change. We found we could use it as a tool to help our survival.
    What we did not foresee was the negative impacts it had on the very experience of being. With this knowledge of time we can see everything around us must at some point die, we then see that we must at some point die also. This genereally instills a sense of fear in us, where do we go? do we cease to exist?

9. #9 Rayban, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
    time does exist.
    what you're talking about is just "time" in the sense of a system of measurement, which i grant you is a human construct, but that does not mean that what we call time does not exist. but "time" is a rather ambiguous word with a lot of possible uses and if you fail to clarify what you mean, things can get complicated and you will start forming non sequiturs

10. [quote name='"Rayban"']time does exist.
    what you're talking about is just "time" in the sense of a system of measurement, which i grant you is a human construct, but that does not mean that what we call time does not exist. "time" is a rather ambiguous word with a lot of possible uses and if you fail to clarify what you mean, things can get complicated and you will start forming non sequiturs[/quote]

i agree with this guy time totally exist... im looking at a clock right now :3 lol

11. Time is based off of the earths rotation.

Also if u were in the 4th dimension you can manipulate time

12. I'm still not convinced that time actually exists though, I mean isn't it just things changing like an ever changing now. We measure the change with regular moving instruments and call it time, the sun doesn't rise because it's 6 am it just rises, we have measured how long it takes to rise and fall and have built a 24 hour time frame around it.

Edit: Nevermind I misread a post, yeah saying it doesn't exist is probably a bit much, calling it a human construct makes sense.

13. I think you are talking about the special theory of relativity. Time exists but just not as we thought to be, 24 hours a day. It very complex so check it out yourself online, I'm not sure I can explain it well. Basically time passes relative to many different factors, like your velocity, gravitation, etc.

14. Smoke a 1/4 a day for ten years and time will pass by yr very eyes and soon a bloke named Justin Beiber appears and you know it's time to get off the weed and go on a Beiber bashing spree.

15. Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day...

16. #16 Malvolio, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
    If time does not exist, then why does gravitational time dilation exist?

If time does not exist, then why does relative velocity time dilation exist?

Eat my physics

Edit:

What I said probably makes no sense to you, so here's some wikipedia:

In the theory of relativity, time dilation is an actual difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from gravitational masses.

An accurate clock at rest with respect to one observer may be measured to tick at a different rate when compared to a second observer's own equally accurate clocks. This effect arises neither from technical aspects of the clocks nor from the fact that signals need time to propagate, but from the nature of spacetime itself.

17. Neither of these prove time, they just show different perspectives of time as seen from a human mind, and show the way the science of earth interacts with clocks and time keeping devices that we use.

18. You know you refer to atomic clocks, right?

These are based on some of the most constant and fundamental values we can track. We measure time by the change of their state. This duration effect is actually what defines time.

Also, you don't need something as non-pedestrian as time dilation.

Basic kinematics, that you can go out in your backyard and try for yourself. Based on accuracy of your measurements, they can reliably predict the outcome of an event.

19. But that's just it, you must base time upon the occurrences of this universe, not the other way around.

20. That is literally exactly what an atomic clock is.