Time and Light, the same thing?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by trevorjohnson32, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Is time related to light? If something is far away and we see it as it was, does that make its light or its time giving a incorrect coordinate of its location? Or is it both light and time that are off? As you approach light speed you experience time dilation, how are the two related light and time?

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. exceeding the speed of light is supposedly how you go back in time but that assumes time and light are correlated which i do not believe they are. just like going faster than the speed of sound- creates a sonic boom but nothing like time travel actually happens.

3. If Light is a wave it may have properties that other waves don't have, time dilation as one approaches light could be an effect on the electron be slowed down similar to when its in a gravity field, where the gravity field it sort of choked by the squish of atoms creating it and squishes in on the electron shell which slows it down.

4. let me know when the prototype is ready. dont forget the flux capacitor and Delorians are getting scarce so hurry up.

5. Time is a duration as we understand it, distance is a length. Takes light 8 minutes 20 seconds to reach earth roughly. If your referring to light years thats the distance light travels in a year and is used to make the math easier.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Time is just man's attempt to understand and control light, movement, and forces as we travel thru the cosmos.

7. Time is a measurement just like a foot or a meter. The speed of light is the fastest thing humans can perceive.

If time is light then distance is light.

I don't believe time dilation is real. It would be an impossible thing for us to test. Even though some say they have tested it.

We "see" time dilation because our eyes can only see light. Our devices only use light. Imagine if our best sense was sound or smell.

There's still a lot left to discover in the universe. Perhaps we need a different sense to understand it.

8. Time is not a physical length. Its the perception quantified by humans to express a duration of existence. Light cant be the same as time because you can measure the speed of light by dividing a known distance of travel by the time it takes to cross. Also blackholes can bend light meaning its velocity will change which means it takes longer or shorter depending on perspective to transverse distance.

9. A meter is not a physical length. Its the perception quantified by humans to express a duration of distance.

10. Yes it is even more so a meter is the same on earth as it is in the heavens.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Light is created by stars , time is man made , if neither is eternal then you can say both are under limits of time . Time doesn’t exist outside of any living creature because inanimate objects do not have lifespans , imo just existing is a curse , it seems no one will get to experience heat death of the universe, or Big Crunch .. sadly
    Black holes will absorb and bend light … can’t say anyone understands space 100% Hawkings .. rip was a genius tho.. shame no one has found a cure to aging … Einstein tried to figure this stuff out . I cannot even fathom there intelligence wow ..
    Plus more hidden objects could exist we don’t understand that mess with light speed ,

12. An hour is the same in any frame of reference. If you say that's wrong due to relativity then a meter is not the same everywhere.

13. Light is created by radiation. But that's all we can see. Perhaps something exists that does move faster than light, but we have no way of perceiving it.

14. The speed of light appears to be a universal constant. Even when we are travelling at fast speeds (relative to the speed of other nearby objects) light _still_ travels at the same speed. This is because the rate at which time passes actually changes. This is what Einstein's special relativity explains. The force of gravity also changes the rate at which time passes. All of this has been experimentally confirmed. We have even applied this knowledge to modern technology - our GPS satellites would not work properly if not for being programmed to account for differences in time dilation which is caused by this phenomenon.

15. Now that I consider all of your responses, I conclude that time is probably a function of the electron in the atom, the more pressure you put on the electron from a gravity field or movement through the universe, the more stifled the electron becomes, slowing its process of functioning. So although light IS space and so is the electron, time is just a function of light.

16. #17 gumbygrow, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    The shutter on a camera ties light and time together. What we percieve instantly looks much different over a 2 hr span.
    Stars showing rotation of earth.
    View attachment 2960305

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. My brain hurts.

I read somewhere that darkness is faster than light.

• Like Like x 1
  18. On a shutter
    Less time = darker photo

19. Something which I have wondered too is, could time also be a perceptual phenomenon? Because if nobody was there to perceive it, would it even really exist?