Timber 48sams vs HLG 550 V2 Pricing/Epic Extreme Flowering Under Pair of Timber 48Sams

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Or_Gro, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Just bought 2 Timber 48sams, so you know where I stand.

Do your own research but seemed like a no-brainer, basically same lights but huge price difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Huge price difference, but the same problem as the HLG550. From what I’ve read on both setups, is they don’t spread the boards out enough for optimal conditions. Many say they are too close creating hotspots in the overlapping light patterns, as well as leaving dark spots in the corners. Do you have a Par meter?

• Like Like x 2
  3. #3 Or_Gro, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Yep, apogee 500-mq, will be mapping PPFD when lights arrive.

Not going to get into whether this is the right light for anyone, but if someone is ready to buy one of these lights, decision should be pretty straightforward.

If you prefer HLG, hold off on purchase, cuz this arbitrage can’t last: their pricing and perhaps layout/design is bound to change, sooner than later.

If you want the lights now, besides pricing timber has a few tweaks that improve layout and design.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I’m in the market man, so please tag me when you do your par readings. I’m in a 4x4 and will be purchasing/ making a flower only light. I like Timbers technology

• Like Like x 3
  5. #5 Or_Gro, Jul 14, 2018
    No prob, will post here.

Putting these in new qube 4x4, for flowering, as soon as they clear customs due to new US tariff rules (btw, one hell of a bargain vs gorilla - think bogo).

[hoping to do some bigger swirling scroglines]

• Like Like x 3
  6. I follow your journal. You have some beautifully shaped bushes.

I have an Orange Skunk in veg that you would love to get your hands on to scrog. I’m pretty sure it would fill a 4x4 on her own if scrogged and vegged for another couple weeks and flipped. I’m trying to get my next cycle out of veg so she can have the space to herself but my Rainmakers are taking a little longer than I was hoping.

• Like Like x 3
  7. #7 Or_Gro, Jul 14, 2018
    Thanks

I’ll check it out. Where?

This is the thread that convinced me to go qb:
    Single DWC plant in a 4x4 with 4 x qb304 boards...

Check out that 3.5 gal block of cheese, aka a rootball. Yield wasn’t shabby either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  8. I’m experimenting with DWC in 5 gallon buckets. I have a huge tomato that just about fills the bucket with roots. Having to add about 2 gallons a day

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thirsty babe.

Have done 4,5,6,7 gal buckets; will be going with either 8 or 13 gal ez-stor buckets (rectangular) next grow, if i can net at least 6gal in the 8gal, i’ll start with that, gives me 6-10 extra inches of ht to play with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Yes, I’ve been chatting with Tbone about the qbs too. He’s in on the Clone Wars thread too

• Like Like x 2
  11. Seems to be the qb man here.

Btw, you’re a great grower, love the veggie garden, too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thanks bud. Still learning everyday. I love this place and the people I’ve met. Good to bounce ideas off each other to perfect our craft

• Like Like x 4
  13. Yeah i have no prob stealing others great ideas.

• Like Like x 3
  14. As Albert Einstein famously said "If I have seen far, it's because I stood on the shoulders of giants".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Apropos, 1 einstein = 1 mol photons

• Like Like x 1
  16. Buncha filosofers around here! Haa! Photos. Haa! DSCN6369.JPG DSCN6467.JPG DSCN6813.JPG DSCN6362.JPG DSCN6593.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Just a goof bro!

• Like Like x 2