Tim Burton Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by 4Cave2man0, Mar 12, 2010.

1. So award for best stop-motion film goes to--Nightmare before Christmas

I have always been a fan of his work and will be seeing Alice in wonderland this weekend at some point If i finish my research paper :rolleyes:

But In my top ten movies ever made Nightmare before Christmas fits in somewhere at the top next to Jurassic Park.(and to think it was originally going to just be a poem:confused:)

Just ordered the blu-ray and paid the extra 7 for saturday shipping i am fucking ecstatic about it :yay:

Going to get blazed all saturday and trip and design my half sleeve that will be getting done for cheap :D

Will Post when it is done( early-late may)

But here you can share thought and opinion on tim burtons super crazy mind when it comes to movies!!!

2. You know, I'm actually pretty sick of Burton. Him and his little dog Depp too. He makes for good visuals and all the goth kids love him and worship him but man, I just think he's over rated these days. Burton/Depp combo is getting old IMO.

He's getting a bit tired and repetitive IMO and when I see his movies I don't expect to much really. I guess you can say I've never been a huge fan.

As for Nightmare, I can see why people like the film but besides the visuals and the setting I don't see what the big deal is and why everyone eats the merch so easily.

I guess I expect more from people. A *LOT* of people out there have a mind like that guy and given the chance they could show it off too but it just happens that Burton has the backing of Hollywood to exhibit his wares.

Take a look at 9. IMO FAR superior movie in itself then any Burton movie I've seen and would be great for a ragdoll merch line. You can say oh that was a Burton movie. No it wasn't, he produced it, ie had a hand in making sure it got done.

Thats just to name one example.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ^^ I agree. There are some directors who can maintain the same style and feeling throughout their careers without it getting stale (Hitchcock, Tarantino, Godard, Woody Allen), but Tim fucking Burton has run stale.

His last few movies were utter shite, I think it's time for him to retire and chill:smoke:

4. while burton had a couple bad movies lately (even tho alice in wonderland was good imo) i think hes great!

5. Agree 100%. Haven't seen 9 yet though. Plan to in the near future cause the trailer made it look pretty good

6. I'm still a Burton fan only because I like the mood of his movies I suppose. I like the darkness and weird shit. Only way I'll stop liking him as much as I do is if someone else comes along and one ups him. Overrated? Probably. Still Good? I think so.

7. 9 was actually pretty good IMO. Burton really had nothing to do with it as he was only a producer(a guy who has a hand in making sure it gets done and coordinates people). 9 I guess was a 'thesis movie' of some guy in movie school and I guess the original CGI is done and on youtube or something but as a movie its got a good atomsphere, the plot was pretty cool.

Crispin Glover baffles me though since his vocie over part was more of like a mumbling guy and he had no real meaty lines at all. I'm amazed he gets parts like that and I wonder how much they part him for simple stuff like Grendel and the guy in 9.

8. Agree with the Johnny Depp lap dog thing but I am still a fan of Alice,Batman,BEETLEJUICE,and Nightmare before christmas

1. Beetlejuice
    2. Edward Scissorhands
    3. Batman (compare with Dark Knight grrr!)
    4. The Corspe Bride
    5. Nightmare Before Christmas
    6. Sweeney Todd
    7. Big Fish
    Pretty good movie CV imo - don't love 'em all ( Willy Wonka - aaargh!) but reckon he's earned Hall o' Fame.

Gothic has been a cool, valid artistic style for 250 years now - how many artistic movements have lasted that long?

Haven't seen Alice yet; not heard good things - maybe Sick Boy in Trainspotting is right and everyone loses it eventually if they don't walk away- Rolling Stones Syndrome?

9. After Sweeney Todd I was done. I've seen it done on stage by so many high schools, and I've watched the Angela Lansbury and George Hearn countless time. It was my favorite musical. (theatre nerd!) So I guess my opinion is a LEETLE biased. I did however watch the special features on Sweeney Todd about the relationship Burton/Depp/and Carter share and it made me appreciate why the three of them stick around eachother. Ehy, we didn't critisize Sandler and Schneider! Ok completely different comparison I know...

Alice in Wonderland might... miiight grow on me. I haven't seen it yet. It appeals to my darkside.

But all in all I'm really sick of Depps repetative character since Jack Sparrow. I had faith in the guy beyond his poor unfortunate ugliness. :[ poor guy..

10. All fair points, I know what you mean....rep 4 u .....I too have been really lookin forward to Alice and am hopeful.....that darkside appeal is what I love in his work and I'm just hoping that the comments I've heard are not justified.....yeah, I quite like their whole tight knit group thing - there aren't that many people worth hangin around for long, are there?

11. some okay movies, beetlejuice is fucking amazing. but hes been making the same movie for like 10 years.

edit: i might be bias to the fact that shit like the nightmare before christmas is always compared to goth. i hate that. i fucking hate cute dead things. dead things arent cute. they're rotten and brutal.

12. Too right; if "Gothic"artists do anything useful, its when they use the brutality and rottenness to make effective points about the world - I think there are times you can see Burton both the right and wrong side of that line- in the end, the mainstream movie business makes whores of them all! Its in its nature! :(

13. Would it be considered trolling if I were to detail why Burton is a mediocre hack regurgitating the same shit his whole career, and that I totally recognized this before Trey Parker?

Just asking.

14. #15 MrF4E, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010

On the Tim Burton Appreciation thread lol!

15. I do not approve of this thread. I despise Tim Burton.

16. I'm going to have to quote South Park on this one.

I'm not saying I don't like or appreciate what Tim Burton has done for cinema history,
    he's just spewing out filth these days.

I'll never remember Burton for Alice in Wonderland, or that god awful Batman movie he made.

I'll remember him for films like Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks, Edward Sissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas.

That's just my view on the subject,
    it's open for discussion.
    :smoke:

17. So if we're mostly saying he may have had it, but lost it ( and I 'm guessin from what you say I should spare myself "Alice") then is Sick Boy in Trainspotting right and everone loses it?

Has any artist not "lost it" ever in their whole career? Should they walk away before they get stale?

What is the last acceptable Burton movie?

18. For directing and pure enjoyment wise,
    I liked Big Fish a lot, actually.
    However it's based on a book so it's not original.

His last original and acceptable film?

Beetlejuice.

Sorry folks, Edward Sissorhands was garbage!
    :smoke:

19. Beetlejuice was alright....but HOW DARE YOU degrade his best film.

These two films are actually the only films I will ever watch that has anything associated with Burton.