Through the Wormhole: Time

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by chronik5, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Okay, so I was watching a new episode of "Through the Wormhole" and a professor from CalTec was describing how time, could essentially be multidimensional, what becomes confusing for me is that once time exceeds a linear 1 dimension model and becomes 2 dimensional doesn't it not essentially enter a greater, measurable, spacial dimension, because it is ending...

So essentially he was trying to explain how an infinite non-measurable sequence with no possible future could in fact fit within 2 dimensional boundaries or so on possibly 3 dimensional etc.., would that not mean that time is finite and has already happened, but since we can only ever experience the present and measure the past how could this be possible within our own universe?

Isn't time just a measurement of spacial effects (gravity) and distance?

So isn't time essentially just a measurement of change, the affects of gravity on space, and wouldn't the matter that, because everything in the universe isn't in the same place as it was yesterday result in a new sequence of events, ie. gravity pulling on the earth in the most minute of differences relative to the sun at a different angle...or something of the like, a spacial difference. Wouldn't that allow for a sequence of events to take place known as "time" but without time at all, just space? One of the ideas brought up was that without time, you would continually perform the same tasks in different orders

The reason I bring this up is because many of the professors were arguing that time is an essential part of the laws of our universe, when in fact it seems as though everything can take place and continue without it...

So why does time even have to factor into the equation when it is just a measurement of space relative to the experience of gravity, or am I missing something important?

2. Time is just a representation of the physical limits of our universe.. ie: the speed of light. We derive time because our existence depends on light and energy. The speed of light is the limit in any reference point. Because it is not instant, we derive our concept of time from the fact that our reality is formed by this measured discrepancy between instantaneous and actual speed of light

3. We figure time into equations because, even in its most minimal proportions, it is valuable information in the world of physics and calculation.

The reason they're purporting that time is one of the governing properties of the universe is because it most likely is. We understand it well enough to assess that, but there's still work to be done as far as seeing how great the influence of time - and alas, what time really is - can be.

4. i saw this episode. yes, what the FUUUCK is time. a linear path?

5. Time doesn't even truly exist, the concept of time is created because it cannot be displayed at once. The "past" is occurring now, and the "future" is as well. Time is the limitation of the speed of light, and events that will happen will be represented as soon as light catches up with said moment. Well at least that's my highdea of it.