Three weeks - and a sad little leaf :(

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by forgeteden, Apr 1, 2014.

1. I posted a topic a couple weeks ago and got some advice about the stretching of my plants. I transplanted them into bigger pots and the stretching on two of them hasn't seemed to stop (probably due to the lack of light - those two might end up growing outside if we don't get a new grow bulb soon. I can't let them stretch anymore than they already have (5 inches from soil to top leaves - they were already transplanted up to the cotyledons the first time and stretched from there as well. May need to be transplanted again...)

HOWEVEVER, one of them seems to be growing at the appropriate rate after I transplated it, so that's the one we're gonna be talking about the most for now. They're about 3 weeks from the time they sprouted from the soil (took them about a week to germinate, but once they got going they've been growing pretty fast) I only have a 60wt gro-bulb until I can get a new one (should be in the next couple days) so this smaller/less stretched plant is getting the direct hit of it while the others are about 2 inches away.

10152673_1420368791550367_1639207536_n.jpg
    This one is about 3 inches from the soil to its top leaves. Does it seem a little stretched out?

I think this plant may have touched the bulb at some point, because she has a little dry spot on one of her leaves! I noticed she was looking a little close to the bulb this morning, so I moved her back about half an inch from where she was. Do you think this little burn will affect its growth in any way? It seems to be fine everywhere else.

1604900_1420368328217080_1007260086_n.jpg
    7005_1420368738217039_1628621899_n.jpg

You can see the little burn spot on the tip.

Any advice for this newbie grower on how to keep these plants going? This is a learning experience - I do not plan to distribute what I grow. If I do happen to get some buds out of it, its all for personal use :) I'm doing a few cheap runs before growing good quality bud.

2. Damn bro, my first grow i totally half assed it and had a bush within your time span, try a bubble ponics system? Ive never used soil ever

3. There not getting enough light so growing slow, the burn will be fine as long as it's not nute bure or anything and spreads.

4. @[member="mmallday99"] haha yeah, well I wasn't expecting to even start growing - it was kind of just spur of the moment. Been waiting a couple weeks now to be able to buy a new grow bulb - hoping that solves the slow growth issue. I haven't started adding nutrients yet (also due to not having cash the past few weeks) but they seem to be pretty healthy although slow and a little stretched (they're not dead yet, so thats something!)

@[member="Skunky Monkey"] nah, no nutes or ferts yet, its gotta be from the bulb. I'm hoping to see faster growth once I buy a new bulb.

Should I be adding anything yet for how small they are? I should be able to pick some stuff up tomorrow if money comes in on time.

I think more light is more important than nutrients at this point, but if you can afford to buy both, I think it's about the right time to feed them.

6. @[member="IslandHippie"] sweet. sounds good. I heard using african violet plant food will work for cannabis plants - do you have any other suggestions or know much about using that?

Anybody else?

7. #7 IslandHippie, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014

I do not know anything about that plant food. I am using Advanced Nutrients products on my grow. Any fertilizer can be made to work if you are checking pH and PPM level. You want something with a high nitrogen content at this point. Around 800 PPM in the feed and no more than 1500 PPM in the run off.

For fertilizer at this point, a 3-1-2 ratio should work. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

8. Fox farms grow big 6-4-4 works as well. Or go organic old school and use Alaskan fish fertilizer 5-1-1. Good shit for veg, great for a beginner.

knives heated dull red
    release sweet smoky nectar
    I am lifted high

9. Okay I made a note of all that and I'll take a look later tonight when I go out to get my bulb :) thanks!