Thread about space

Discussion in 'General' started by HelloFriend, Mar 29, 2012.

1. From time to time I find it pretty interesting to think and discuss, are we alone in the universe, what might be on other planets, what would be cool in your opinion to have on another planets, if there was life found. This thread is basically, to let your fantasies and thoughts, ideas go... and also, how did universe was born ?Out of what? but how? do u think weed might be legal on some planets? maybe people walk on their heads ? or perhaps they are millions of years infront of us in technology ? etc... write here all your ideas, thoughts, questions :)

2. Well, the universe is not infinitely large (probably), but it might as well be to our ability to comprehend its size. In a universe that size, I find it highly improbably that we are the only life forms.

Does that mean I believe people have seen "visitors?" No. We can be fairly certain that there is no intelligent life, other than ourselves, in our own solar system. Because of the nature of space travel, how difficult it is, how long it takes, I don't think aliens would come around, just to screw with the heads of some farmers.

Which brings another matter entirely to the table. If there is other life, how would we ever find it? We can't travel that fast in space. Though Star Trekesque travel ideas make for good TV shows, I really don't see how we can travel faster, or even as fast, as light speed. I don't think this is just an issue of technology; technology can't get around the laws of physics.

What would aliens look like? Meh, I guess that really depends on the atmosphere they adapted to. If a species, or ecosystem were to develop, similar to our own, I would expect the life in that system to be much like life on this planet. If it were different, I think we'd see some similarities, like how things function basically at the cellular level, and that all entities consume something and produce waste. But if a life form were to adapt to an atmosphere where they breathe arsenic gas, I think we can expect life that looks very different than what we're used to.

And that even begs the question, what are we looking for? Are we so sure that life can only exist in the carbon based make up? Our world is, but does that mean it would be impossible for life to exist otherwise? Are we so sure life can't develop in what we call in inhospitable environment?

Lastly, do we even want to find other life, other civilizations? I'm not so sure we really do. There are things to think about; hostility, culture shock, and let's not forget disease.

3. If I were an alien, I would never come to this planet.

4. [quote name='"nascarfan"']Well, the universe is not infinitely large (probably), but it might as well be to our ability to comprehend its size. In a universe that size, I find it highly improbably that we are the only life forms.

Does that mean I believe people have seen "visitors?" No. We can be fairly certain that there is no intelligent life, other than ourselves, in our own solar system. Because of the nature of space travel, how difficult it is, how long it takes, I don't think aliens would come around, just to screw with the heads of some farmers.

Which brings another matter entirely to the table. If there is other life, how would we ever find it? We can't travel that fast in space. Though Star Trekesque travel ideas make for good TV shows, I really don't see how we can travel faster, or even as fast, as light speed. I don't think this is just an issue of technology; technology can't get around the laws of physics.

What would aliens look like? Meh, I guess that really depends on the atmosphere they adapted to. If a species, or ecosystem were to develop, similar to our own, I would expect the life in that system to be much like life on this planet. If it were different, I think we'd see some similarities, like how things function basically at the cellular level, and that all entities consume something and produce waste. But if a life form were to adapt to an atmosphere where they breathe arsenic gas, I think we can expect life that looks very different than what we're used to.

And that even begs the question, what are we looking for? Are we so sure that life can only exist in the carbon based make up? Our world is, but does that mean it would be impossible for life to exist otherwise? Are we so sure life can't develop in what we call in inhospitable environment?

Lastly, do we even want to find other life, other civilizations? I'm not so sure we really do. There are things to think about; hostility, culture shock, and let's not forget disease.[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

5. my incredible contribution to this thread:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbeutFkN8I]Pineapple express: Saul saying space - YouTube[/ame]

6. I'm mean logically were not the only "human" or living things in this world its to big for us not to be and i would love to just float and or fly in space for a min and just enjoy its beauty of infinity of everything, stars comets ect, it would be the most magical and amazing thing to ever experience in my life.

also i think it would be dam near amazing to get so stoned and go to the very limits of our atmosphere to the very near limits of leaving the earths gravitational pull and just free fall back to earth watching the stars ect drift away to another dimension and the clouds and big blue sky come to are vision and then be back to earth. i would kill to experience that.