Thoughts on this drying rack idea

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by NotSecret, May 2, 2021.

1. Hi all, I'm looking for opinions on this drying technique. I am planning on guerrilla growing, but don't have the space to actually dry. So I've come up with this idea to dry it, and want more people's opinions on it. This isn't nearly fully worked out, just an idea. (And no, I can't really do it the "proper way" or I wouldn't have made this thread, would I? lol)

Here's the sitch: I found the perfect place to put it, temp and humidity-wise. An abandoned factory near me, that has a very hidden spot up high indoors (the factory is missing whole walls/lines of windows, so airflow is heavy but this specific spot isn't hit by direct air or draughts coming in or direct sunlight). Only problem is, it's not the best air quality (very dusty and overall grimey). However, in this spot temps stay between 18-21 degrees celsius during summer where I am, and humidity is at an ideal 50%.

What I'd need:
    - A cabinet (similar to this but I haven't worked out exactly what size I want)
    - 2x 120mm fans with USB headers
    - A battery pack of some sort
    - Some racks
    - A HEPA filter cut up to match the size of both the USB fans, to be stuck on the exterior of either one
    - A carbon filter to go on the other side of the outtake fan
    - Foam or some other sort of blocking stuff for the cracks in the cupboard

The idea:
    I cut a hole in the lower side of the cabinet, and put my intake fan there, with a square of HEPA filter glued or screwed or something onto the fan, on the outside. I then do the same on one of the top corners of the cabinet, making an outtake fan with a carbon filter on the side facing the inside of the cabinet, and another square of HEPA filter on the outside of the fan. I then link the fans up and connect them to a battery pack, haven't worked out which one or what configuration I'd want yet. Then, I put a few racks in the cupboard and put foam (maybe anti-draught stuff?) along the cracks of the cabinet. A hygrometer and, depending on how testing goes if I go through with this, supplies to aid with temperature/humidity regulation.

Thoughts and ideas very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. just hang it in a tree or somethin to dry it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. an abandoned factory still has power running to it?

4. Your way overthinking it. It's a guerilla grow. Dirty, moldy, caterpillar infested. Why are you planning all this elaborate drying ? Hang it in a tree for 3 days. Then slow the dry for the next 4 days with the help of a plastic trash bag and knock the worst of the damage off and call it good.

The gardeners yard blower blasts dust and lawn clipping crap into my plants once a week no matter how many times I yell at then for it.
    It's Outside. The wind will be blowing crap through it all the time. Dirt, Dust, Rocks. Sticks and branches. It all sticks to the buds.

At least my outside backyard grow I can spray every week for the mildew and keep the caterpillars killed. Unless your going to make weekly visits to the plants to spray it'll be very low grade goods.

BNW

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Agreed, way overthinking it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. #6 realreality101, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    no fans no hepa no carbon filter etc etc, just hang it and tend to them when you can, preferably daily if you want quality

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. OP's talking about harvesting & drying, not growing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You're dreaming. When you actually have a crop then you can plan how to dry. First things first.

9. oh i accidentally wrote plant instead of hang i think