Thoughts on "Super" HPS Bulbs

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jesuschristo, Oct 20, 2009.

1. So I just ordered some 15 seeds and am trying to get started on the room. It is going to be 5x5, and I have been reading that I should have about 3,000 Lumens per square foot.

Can all of this light come from one HPS bulb? I am looking at getting this - www.dchydro.com

Can anyone vouch for these? I was looking at the SuperBlue, which is a MH/HPS combo bulb, which I had my eye on, but it only comes in 1000w, which is a bit high for my grow size, and would be expensive to run. I plan on running this from veg to flower, any thoughts on this?

Am I better off getting a few 6400k CFLs for vegging and saving some energy cost along the way? How many would I need for this room size and roughly 10 plants? I still want to flower with the HPS of course, just thinking the power savings may be worth the investment, but I am only in veg for less than 20 days, so not sure it is worthwhile.

All thoughts and opinions warmly welcomed. Thanks.

2. eye is reputed by growers as making some of the finest lamps available,some controversy as to whether eye lamps fail prematurely when using the new electronic ballast

some growers would recommend to pay less and buy a standard HPS lamp like sylvania as the price difference doesn't amount to a large enough harvest increase to justify the extra price

I am currently using Sunmaster with electronic ballast but no long term testimonial available from me,just a few months use

Ushio,Solarmax and Ultrasun also make some well accepted lamps

3. I went with something like this and it's doin' me good for my first "real" try a few months in.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KP0IH0]Amazon.com: 400 Watt MH/HPS Switchable Sun System VI Ballast with Cord Set: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Just need the bulbs. I went with a regular MH and a super HPS for now.

Best wishes!! :smoking::smoking::smoking:

4. Thanks for the replies so so far. Can anyone help me on how many lights I may need, if this bulb will do ok during veg, or if I should be looking in to CFL tubes instead. If that is the case, how many?