Thoughts on Roots Organic soil and nutrient line

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by kingkelly91, Jan 14, 2014.

1. I'm really wanting to go organic as I live in Oregon and that's just kinda the lifestyle around here. I have doing my studying and seems like everything else a million ways to go about it. I'm intrigued buy that fact the Aurora is based here in Eugene and would love to keep my money in state and give it to a local company. I just want to know if I bought the entire line of liquid organic nutes and I mean all of them not just grow bloom and swell. And then the roots organic soil with some more perlite would I be fine. Or would I need to do other stuff also. Aka teas top dress mix in other stuff to soil etc.Sorry if I rambled I'm high as shit check out my current grow let me know what you think. http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1270305-Cinex-and-block-head-starting-up-a-perpetual#entry19242460

2. In my opinion, u could do a lot better. In the pnw there are a lot of good companies that cater to organic gardeners. Those bottled bloom n swell things are not organic.

You can save yourself a lot of money by building a living soil like what exists in nature.

You can take all of your food scraps and turn it into better soil than roots organic could ever dream of making.

Let's look at what is in roots organic soil shall we?

Here is a copy and paste from amazon.com on roots organics original:

"A truly exceptional ready-to-use coco fiber-based potting soil. We begin with a base of the highest quality coco fiber/Coir on the planet which is repeatedly washed for an incredibly low EC, and composted for over twenty-four months, and is specially blended with extra long fibers. This soil is amended with only the highest quality organic ingredients including bat guano, premium earth worm castings, fish bone meal, feather meal, green sand, mycorrihzae, glacial rock dust, soybean meal, humic acid, and many more. Already blended with correct proportions of perlite and pumice for excellent drainage and a vigorous root system, Roots Organics potting soil encourages healthier plants and better yields."

Sounds like marketing bs to me if I ever heard it...

A) coco fiber comes from sri lanka (and sometimes mexico...rarely) and is used in place of sphagnum peat moss which comes from canada. It has a lower CEC that sphagnum peat and is xported from halfway across the world. Coco is expensive. You could buy your own coco fiber or peat moss for much less $ and it will be higher quality, less processed stuff.

b) bat guano is not the miracle that the hippies in the 60's thought it was. Nothin special plus it fucks with the bats when they harvest it. IMO u don't need guano at all but if u want it u can buy it I suppose.

c) earth worm castings are fuckin awesome. "Castings" just means "poop" lol. Worm castings are best when they are fresh from the worm. You can make them at home for free! I have a big worm bin that I feed food scraps and compost to. They turn it into the best fertilizer on the planet! Bagged castings or the ones that r in commercial bagged soil mixes are garbage. The whole reason u want them is because they r full of beneficial bacteria and fungi that deliver nutrients to plants while supressing pathogens.

d) fish bone meal is great!

e) feather meal is a byproduct of the poultry industry. So u can rest assured that it is chock full of growth hormones, antibiotics and other nasty things. Their feed is probably all gmo corn that's drenched in pesticides.

f) greensand has its benefits, but it's not a necessity. Takes years to really do anything.

g) mycorrhizal fungi and glacial rock dust are great. There are certainly better inoculants on the market for mycorrhizal fungi.

h) soybean meal.... soybeans are a massive gmo crop that is heavily sprayed and round-up ready. Ain't no fuckin way that's organic lol.

Sorry for the rant..... but if u really want to go organic, this is not the way to do it at all.

Oregon is probably one of the best places to live for organic gardening. U can build a way better soil for way less money. You could use it for years and years and it will only get better with age.

3. He nailed it ^

4. #5 jerry111165, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  5. [quote name="phlatbeats" post="34" date="981275400"]what a perfect opportunity to share my experience as a child of pot smoking parents, and a child who was fresh in the elementary school system when DARE was ripe. my parents have always been open about their smoking habits, and i think that that's where it ought to begin. i wonder why people wait until their children are twelve (i don't mean to attack anyone's decision making). but, seeing the opposition of my situation in my parent's friend's children, who have taken unbelievably dark and twisted paths with drugs, i am grateful of the knowledge my parents have shared with me about pot.why are your kids eating up what DARE is teaching them? becuase DARE is there to inform them about marijuana more than parents seem to be. best of growing and learning with your children, i only hope to have the same opportunity to be able to have kids one day as well.[beth][/quote] well I'm going to go a different route now that I have thread the above posts. Even though it doesn't really matter since I'm not going to use them the nute line I was talking about is the roots organic line. How could they not be organic? The Buddha line I believe.check out my current grow let me know what you think. http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1270305-Cinex-and-block-head-starting-up-a-perpetual#entry19242460

6. [quote name="thomasmfjefferson" post="19339115" timestamp="1389722919"]In my opinion, u could do a lot better. In the pnw there are a lot of good companies that cater to organic gardeners. Those bottled bloom n swell things are not organic.You can save yourself a lot of money by building a living soil like what exists in nature.You can take all of your food scraps and turn it into better soil than roots organic could ever dream of making.Let's look at what is in roots organic soil shall we?Here is a copy and paste from amazon.com on roots organics original:"A truly exceptional ready-to-use coco fiber-based potting soil. We begin with a base of the highest quality coco fiber/Coir on the planet which is repeatedly washed for an incredibly low EC, and composted for over twenty-four months, and is specially blended with extra long fibers. This soil is amended with only the highest quality organic ingredients including bat guano, premium earth worm castings, fish bone meal, feather meal, green sand, mycorrihzae, glacial rock dust, soybean meal, humic acid, and many more. Already blended with correct proportions of perlite and pumice for excellent drainage and a vigorous root system, Roots Organics potting soil encourages healthier plants and better yields."Sounds like marketing bs to me if I ever heard it...A) coco fiber comes from sri lanka (and sometimes mexico...rarely) and is used in place of sphagnum peat moss which comes from canada. It has a lower CEC that sphagnum peat and is xported from halfway across the world. Coco is expensive. You could buy your own coco fiber or peat moss for much less $ and it will be higher quality, less processed stuff.b) bat guano is not the miracle that the hippies in the 60's thought it was. Nothin special plus it fucks with the bats when they harvest it. IMO u don't need guano at all but if u want it u can buy it I suppose.c) earth worm castings are fuckin awesome. "Castings" just means "poop" lol. Worm castings are best when they are fresh from the worm. You can make them at home for free! I have a big worm bin that I feed food scraps and compost to. They turn it into the best fertilizer on the planet! Bagged castings or the ones that r in commercial bagged soil mixes are garbage. The whole reason u want them is because they r full of beneficial bacteria and fungi that deliver nutrients to plants while supressing pathogens.d) fish bone meal is great!e) feather meal is a byproduct of the poultry industry. So u can rest assured that it is chock full of growth hormones, antibiotics and other nasty things. Their feed is probably all gmo corn that's drenched in pesticides.f) greensand has its benefits, but it's not a necessity. Takes years to really do anything.g) mycorrhizal fungi and glacial rock dust are great. There are certainly better inoculants on the market for mycorrhizal fungi.h) soybean meal.... soybeans are a massive gmo crop that is heavily sprayed and round-up ready. Ain't no fuckin way that's organic lol.Sorry for the rant..... but if u really want to go organic, this is not the way to do it at all.Oregon is probably one of the best places to live for organic gardening. U can build a way better soil for way less money. You could use it for years and years and it will only get better with age.[/quote] best answer I have ever received thanks a lot.+++++check out my current grow let me know what you think. http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1270305-Cinex-and-block-head-starting-up-a-perpetual#entry19242460

7. I don't see any ingredients...? Doesn't say much on aurora innovations website either. Just says "improves plant vigor and increases yields." Idk it might be organic I suppose. Mixture of chilean nitrate, fish hydrolysate, fish emulsion, liquid kelp etc.

I think wanting to go organic is awesome. Organic gardening is the coolest effin thing on the planet. It has totally changed my outlook on life. I really think u r selling urself short by buying into all that marketing hype.

8. Kingkelly, the advice that Thomas Jefferson & CE1122 gave you is the best you're going to get - while the Aurora products prkbably *are* organic, this is like comparing a waxed, hard supermarket tomato to a fresh organic soil garden tomato - two completely different animals. One is also very sustainable and the other is completely unsustainable. One you can continue to use time after time after time and the other will keep you buying expensive and completely unnecessary bottles at The Hydro Store as long as you keep gardening; see where I'm going with this?

There is organic bottle gardening and there is a sustainable living soil environment - gardening naturally. If you truly want to "go organic", don't want to check or adjust pH, want to be able to reuse your medium for years to come, to really be able to step up your game then listen to the good advice given above. There are many fine (real) organic gardeners here that will be glad to help.

Best of luck with whichever method you choose.

J

9. i would like to first say thanks for all the info as i am really interested in going organic. Being able to reuse the same soils sound frugal and i like that. also i have decided after reading what has been said on this forum i will not be fooled by the grow shop and use the "organic" lines as they are not that good or Organic. 

i will be starting a worm bin and atleast get the casting for my veggy garden when the time comes to plant this year, and after perfecting definitely use it in the grow room. ( dont want to fuck up any of my ladys)

I have no organic expeirence so its going to take me some time but i will get there. 

thanks GC