Thoughts on defoliation

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Thatguy89, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Just wondering if anyone ever defoliates the top of there plants to uncover smaller tops in hopes they come up to the canopy, I think this only makes sense if you have dense plants and it won't be decreasing the size of the canopy since I would leave the ones on the outside. Anyone think there would be any bad effects like slowed growth?

First grow

2. You can I would do it day 21 flower day 42 flower and then the last two weeks of flower before harvest it will increase yeild but make sure you don't over do it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was wondering the same thing. I've got a couple of short busy plants that look like they could use a hair cut. My concern is that cutting off leaves is trauma and the plants will have to focus energy on that to recover. I'm not gonna be your best point of reference though cause this is my first grow. Good luck and I hope you get the answers you need ( for both of us)

4. What do you think about doing it in veg? [​IMG]have a lot of small tops under water leaves in the center of the plant, thinking since it won't decrease the size of the canopy it would be a good idea. Would it shock the plant at all?

First grow

5. No point to do it in veg just scrog it if ya wanna give it more light and get bigger bud before you flower fill a screen up 75% full and it should finish filling up in flower watch a video if you wanna really max your yeild scrog is the way to go

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm currently experimenting with this. I stripped one plant like that one guy from 3 a light. One is bushy and natural. I just removed the leaves that were rubbing hard to prevent mold. And the third has a medium defoliation. All from the same mother plant and trunk girth. I gotta say, the plants with the leaves are doing much better than the one that got defoliated. And it's kinda funny too cuz the nugs on the bottom are actually bigger and more developed than the ones on top and they're being covered by fan leaves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I won't know until I weigh everything out but so far I'm beginning to call bullshit. One thing for is that makes everything easier. Less time trimming, easier to find bugs, and better foliar spray penetration. Less chances of humidity too. Easier yield, not bigger yield is what I'm starting to think. Also looks pretty which a lo of people actually care about when showing off on IG or youtube

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. No one wants to see a room filled with leaves lol. Looks nicer with flowers everywhere

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Me personally I'd rather see a room full of nice perfect fan leaves with the colas poking out lol I'm just thinking for veg to take off fan leaves that are blocking the smaller tops below from reaching the top of the canopy and getting light. Another option would be tucking them which I've already been doing but it's a pain in the nuts because you have to keep tucking every day

First grow

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. I want to say that it def helped in veg. More bud cites. Otherwise you'll just have one big nug and if bugs were to ever attack it could be catastrophic to yield

11. Take the leaves off during harvest. Taking healthy leaves off during flowering is not recommended. Leaves don't block light, they are that part of the plant that converts light to energy.
    Yes, the plant will still live if you do it, but you will not see it's max potential.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. I was talking about during veg to expose little tops to the light that are hidden by the fan leaves

First grow

13. Tie the small bottom branches down to where they are near a right angle to the main stalk if you can.
    It will curve up towards the light from where it is tied or hooked at, it will grow up and become a main cola/top depending on if it gets enough light

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

14. Some plants require pruning to thin them out for better air circulation in order to combat mold. I remove leaves almost everyday during the grow with no ill effects. Some growers use the "solar panels" argument and they're entitled to their opinion. My argument to that is: Why do lollipopped and scrogged plants grow so well with 1/3 of their growth removed?

• Like Like x 3
  16. Strain dependent of course, but I chop the shit outta my plants in veg, and a couple major defoliations in flower
    People will say no no no leaves are solar panels blah blah blah,
    I take leaves directly above flower or top sites , expose them to light, shit explodes.
    Been doing it for a while, great results

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. #17 Rumpleforeskin, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Scrog is a form of low stress training that produces more tops. Has nothing to do with removing leaves. Below is one of my single plants that I use the scrog method:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have used lollipop grow method off and on for years. It is taking bottom branches off before flowering (noting to do with taking leaves off at bud sites). I get no more grad "A" yield from lollipoping the plant, it is just a lot faster to trim and harvest. Our yield does suffer because we get much less bottom popcorn bud. Normally a non-issue.

One of the plants we trimmed before flowering (only bottom branches)

[​IMG]

??"Strain dependent" ?? Please tell me what strains need to have the leaves cut off and what ones don't?

Most the fan leaf trimming advice was generated and passed on from micro-growers and under powered rooms struggling to find way to avoid proper upgrades. Some will follow this advice and have a very nice harvest, not knowing the true potential of their plant. After a good harvest folks will think the results don't lie. This plant can give you nice quality yields despite poor grow methods and techniques. Because of this, we have all sorts of conflicting advice.

I tell new growers to find a grower that is wiling to show (not just text) you results that you want to mimic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. The only argument I could see being valid with the solar panel thing is if you were actually reducing the size of the canopy which I wouldn't be unless I removed the outside fan leaves, I'm thinking of removing the ones in the center to let the new tops get light. Good to know about the no ill effects though thanks for the comment.

First grow

19. Ah that would be why, mine is white widow x big bud