Thoughts on a basic no downstem Ashcatcher

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Jimmy Ray, Feb 4, 2016.

1. #1 Jimmy Ray, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
    Hi there. First post by the way, been reading and learning lots from here, great community!
    So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on a basic ashcatcher with no downstem. basically one that just catches the ash and doesn't filter through the water. looks like a little jug, add water till its about a quarter full, so when the ash hits it it stays. I added a link to one that is similar to mine to give you a better idea about what I'm talking about.
    http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/frost-basic-clear-g....
    My thoughts are this, I have a 12 inch beaker bong. Diffused downstem, 4 arm tree perc in the tube. Ice catcher above that. I actually use the ice because it makes a good splash guard because since it's small I can get splash from the perc without the ice. So originally I wanted a small ashcatcher because the bong is small. I wanted a water diffused one but all I could find in small was the jug type. I was skeptical it would actually catch the ash but much to my surprise it catches it all. Now that I see it catches all the ash I've come to really like it. with my diffused down stem, tree perc and this basic ashcatcher the hits are extremely smooth and fun to hit. I'm thinking not only do I not need an extra perc or more diffusion in the ashcatcher, it might be too much. basically I love this simple little ashcatcher, although I'm a 20+ year smoker I've only recently gotten serious about bongs, so I wonder if I'm missing something because it seems hardly anyone uses this basic type of ashcatcher.
    Any thoughts or input would be welcome. Thanks

2. That is nice! Way better than mine. My bong is NG, I'd like to find a place with lots of NG to choose from.

3. There are so many to choose from really, its kinda hard to say 'here, go buy this' when there are so many options.

I would find a good website - grasscity is a start - go to the glass bong section, then sort them in price order.
    These bits we are talking about are fairly inexpensive so you should find them on the first few pages.

Have a browse!