thoughts about dying

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by wren38, May 13, 2010.

1. so a thing that interests me a lot is the thought of dying.

What are your guys opinions on what happens to the non-physical human after death?

My personal opinion is that since we are just things made of atoms like every other thing, we just go back to the earth and decompose.

Also, think about this, all of out thoughts are just the reactions of different atoms coming together, i other words, our thoughts are just physical things that have a mass.

I would love to hear your guys' thoughts.

-peace

2. I pretty much agree with you on that (our memories being mass was pretty cool, btw). But yeah, like looking at it scientifically we just decompose and we arnt there anymore. What I can't imagine is, well, not existing. Having no thought. You don't know you don't exist or can't imagine it cause well when it happens you don't exist anymore! But still, it's unkown and some people are terrified of it. Personally, I don't reallycare about it. Seems to me worse part about death would be leavin your loved ones.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I believe that although your body may decompose your sole lives on forever. Whether it's another life in a different realm or a new life reincarnated remains to be discovered.

4. but then you must think, is death something that happens?

Who or what are we to say that life is different from death?

I think we, being alive are just in a realm of being, and death is just a different form. If humans actually do die on a bigger level than just disintegrate into the earth, is there another death to come after?

5. #5 radicaljonny, May 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
    Well in order to answer this you have to ask "what is this and who am i".

This physical life / ego-perspective is born out of consciousness.
    Consciousness extends far beyond the holographic universe--you could call it "multi-dimensional" or outside space / time. It is actually the thing that gives birth to the holographic universe. Physics is now understanding this -- although teachings of the holographic nature of the universe can be found in many teachings [including Jesus].

As we lose the anchor to the physical world we drop out of space and time. We merge with the higher vibrating creative energy of the cosmos / the universe [interverse would be more accurate].

"you" have lived many "lives" and will go on to reincarnate many more.

If you are more curious read up on Near-Death Experiences.
    But keep in mind our ego-mind is very metaphorical. So these people who have died and then come back remember the occurrence very "metaphorically".
    So don't get too caught up on the words these people tell but instead try and see the bigger picture behind the image they paint.

6. There is no evidence for a soul or anything else that lives on after death for that matter (apart from the individual atoms that continue to interact with their environment). To think that we survive death is absurd.

7. For how much we don't know about everything, the possibilities are endless. So why not have a positive outlook on where life goes after death? Who cares if it even is wrong, what ever keeps the mind happy is good.

Maybe we do have a spirit, but I hate even calling it a spirit, I hate calling god...a god. Once you bring those religious words it sparks controversy and arguments. I just want to say...energy. What if god is science? What if there is an infinite energy source between dimensions that serves the same purpose as life here, it just lives and it creates life.

We don't even know why life wants to live, everything just wants to thrive, perhaps we're sharing the same link to this god?

8. We don't even know what gravity really is.

You drop an apple, we know the source, but the reason is unknown.

We don't even know what lies on the other end of a black hole, or what even goes on in there.

9. I like the idea, but i just find one flaw in our thoughts becoming mass. they way i see it is that the mind sorta acts like a memory card. Where everything that we remember, our characterstics and so on, gets saved onto our so called "memory card brain."

My point with this is that when you look at a memory card, even though something really important might be stored on such as documents or music or what not, it doesnt get heavier. It has a weight at the start. A 80 Gig music player will always weigh the same as it did when you bought it. And imagine how much shit you can store on there!!!! you could have like 100,000 songs on there or whatever. But the weight doesnt change.

I see it that the brain works the same way, It can register 100,000 memories or whatever, but it will never gain any weight, hence amounting to not beign mass.

And anyway, even if you would survive death and have your memory or thought atoms continue interacting with the environment, it reminds too much of Avatar where the dead go back to the earth, and they Live in Eywa or however it is. (you guys know when he plugs into the tree and hears the kids laughing and all that stuff)

there you have my thoughts :)

But yes, i think that after death, its just nothingness. :)

10. I believe these thoughts of what happens after we die are just a waste of time but thats just my opinion.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

11. it is gonna be the best thing in the world friend:hello:

12. I like to think about what happens after death occasionally, if only because I do a lot of thinking.
    And I don't mean that in the way you think I do.
    What I'm saying is that, personally, I over think everything, and not in a negative way (usually.) I often come up with situations inside my head and have to wonder if I can continue these thoughts after death.
    Its the same with growing older: I can't really imagine myself as an adult, full time worker. Currently I am a college student. However, back in high school, I couldn't imagine myself as a college student. I made it, didn't I?
    As far as a supreme being being involved in the after life, I just don't know. I don't like to make assumptions, I just like to think, "What if...?"

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

13. The way I see it, the Universe has existed for billions of years before I was born and before I had memories; I'm sure it will continue as if I had never existed at all.

There is a grandeur in this view on life; it means that we must cherish the brief time in which we exist, because in the blink of an eye it's gone.

14. I believe our conscious aka our memories and experience will become ultimate history. I believe when i die i die, my body will decompose (like you said) and that is it. My only purpose here in life is to know we exist, that is it.

my opinions though

15. I know, eh? Sounds fucking lovely right about now, aha.

16. well actually thanks to einsteins theory of relativity, we do know what gravity is, its the warping of space/time. think of a trampoline, with its smooth flat surface, roll a marble across it and it will go in a straight line, well if you could, while the marble was moving across the surface in a straight line you add a bowling ball to the middle, the surface would then warp down causing the marble to curve in towards the bowling ball.

this in some sense captures the nature of gravity, or at least allows me to somewhat give you an idea of what gravity really is. and keep in mind, this example is only showing you how something like a star would warp space only in 2 dimensions. not the 4 dimensions that einstein says exist.

the more mass an object has, the more of an influence it has on the warping of space/time

as for black holes (i dont know too much about them) theyre just an enormous amount of mass packed into a very small size, the gravity they produce are so powerful light cant even escape. i believe that for earth to be considered a black hole, you would have to compress ALL of the earth into the size of a marble.

another crazy fact, realized once again by einsteins theory of relativity, if you could hover a couple of inches above a black hole, time would go i think like 7,000 times slower for you than someone far away from the same black hole.

idk dont quote me on any of this, im sure ive mixed up a couple of things here and there,

if you all want a good read i would highly suggest you pic up "the elegant universe" by brian greene. excellent book, a bit difficult though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. i kinda think, ur mind is so powerful that if u think ur going to heaven or hell before u die then u will, possibly?
    or if u think u will be a ghost that might happen?
    watever u believe u will achieve...:confused:

18. i would like to believe it a heaven where i could fuck all the bitches i wanted, but in all honestly i think we just rot in the ground. You got one shot so you better make it count.

19. For what it is worth. Here is what King Solomon had to say about life and death. He is known in the sientific and religous worlds as one of the greatest rulers. So enjoy life. Because we all die and go to the grave. The Bible even says that not even King David has entered the Kingdom of Heaven, yet. I am not a religous man, but I do read and think that it is ALL about LOVE. Just like Bob says.

Ecclesiastes 9:9-11 (New International Version)

9 Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun- all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun. 10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, [a] where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. 11 I have seen something else under the sun:
    The race is not to the swift
    or the battle to the strong,
    nor does food come to the wise
    or wealth to the brilliant
    or favor to the learned;
    but time and chance happen to them all.

20. Duncan MacDougall (doctor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I remember my Physics' Teacher in HS told me about him, just do a little reading.. Seriously the first paragraph is really all you need to read.