Thou Shalt Not Swear... ?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by stevecash83, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Why do people associate 'cussing' with 'sinning' in a religious sense? I had someone tell me recently that I cannot call myself a 'Christian' if I swear. What the fucking fuck are you talking about?

Where in the Bible does it say "Thou shalt not say fuck, shit, cunt, ball-licker, assface or cockmouth." ??

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. I think South Park already covered this.

"Leave it to Americans to think that "no" means yes, "pissed" means angry, and "curse word" means something other than a word that's cursed!!"

3. i think they call them curse words for a reason, you are putting out a lot of bad emotions and vibrations when you swear so they call them "curse" words.

havnt you heard of "good vibes"? "good vibrations"? i sure don't think any swear words are god vibes but i still swear, its just one of my bad habits.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. I curse like a fucking sailor... it's bad. Haha. :D

5. There is no such thing as sin..
    Sins were invented by church leaders to keep you in your place..
    its like the 10 commandments.. by following these you are following someone elses morals.. while most of them are a good basis to live your life by, they are controls..

free yourself from this control. you know right from wrong, do you really need a book or some guy in a pulpit to tell you this..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. #6 Slake Moth, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
    It has to do with modern Christianity's confusion of an "oath" and a "swear word."

When the Bible forbids the taking of oaths, it has to do with making a religious vow that was to a god other than Yahweh, or making a vow to Yahweh that you don't intend to keep. For example, in the Ten Commandments, "Do not take The Lord's name in vain" doesn't mean "Don't say 'Oh God!'" It means "don't make vows to God lightly." Likewise, when Jesus says "Do not swear," he's not saying, "don't say shit." Instead, he was saying that we shouldn't only do what we say we'll do when we make an oath, we should just do what we say we're going to do. So when he says, "Don't swear," he really means "Don't say you'll do what you won't do." In fact, if you do a proper translation of Jesus' sermon on the mount, he says the Aramaic equivalent of "Damn you, hypocrites" instead of "cursed are the hypocrites." So even Jesus might have used swear words.

Profane swear words like shit and fuck, on the other hand, are just interjections. Lots of religious texts from back in the day contained words we'd consider obscene today. Chaucer and Dante both use "shit" or their language's equivalent of the word in religious contexts, with little to no controversy. Again, the type of swears that were culturally taboo at this time were religious swears, not profanity.

But today, we don't really have a cultural distinction between taboo religious oaths and profane swear words, so they all get lumped into the same category. So when modern readers see Jesus say, "Don't Swear," they think "Don't say shit," when really they should be thinking "don't be a hypocrite." Funny how that works.

Personally though, I've gotta agree with smokinp.

7. hahaha

i think its a respect issue.. Christianity has been around for a loooong time.. over time swear words became more acceptable, but back in the day they were serious shit

8. Good point. So if we already know right from wrong, than why do we need the Bible?

Better yet, if the Bible states exactly what is right and what is wrong, than how do we already know what is right and what is wrong? I mean, if we were just Godless creatures living organic lives on some rock floating in space, than why do need right and wrong? Nothing else in this universe gives a fuck about right and wrong or good and bad, why do we?

9. "You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not acquit anyone who misuses his name."

This is quoted pretty frequently as the piece of scripture that forbids swearing.

10. #10 Zylark, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
    Unless someone confuse fuck with god, I don't see how that bible verse is relevant.

What it really comes down to is moralists, be they religious or not, that are so easily offended that they try to stop adults from speaking their mind. Even when that includes a healthy amount of explecitives.

It's just childish egocentrism really, "I don't like it so make it illegal!". But it do have some annoying repercussions. For one thing, I really loathe that "BEEP" sound effect they edit in on US shows. Like grown-ups don't get what word is used in the context. Who are they trying to protect from such "foul" language? Children? I can assure you, children old enough to by their parents be allowed to watch evening shows, know just about any swearword that is, and use them outside of their parents earshot all the time. They think it is cool, and makes them more mature, because it is supposedly forbidden.

It's just a phase. Eventually they'll learn when swearing is appropriate and in what contexts it is not all that appropriate. No amount of moralists hurt feelings for hearing "bad words" will change that, so why the hell do they bother with the censorship bullshit?!

11. Ohhhhhhhhh-

Shit.

12. Ephesians 4:29- "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

I'm not even a Christian and that's great advice. I swear too much, but I've been working on it as of recently

13. A curse word is just a word that is frowned upon in our society. I don't think you would be condemned to Hell if you used a few too many curse words. If i believed in Hell.

14. Only fucking retards with no sense of right or wrong need a fucking book to tell them what to fucking do. Good day.

15. Right and Wrong are, for most, derived from rationality; if I do this, that will hurt someone, and that is bad, and vise versa.

But years of experience in rationalizing "right from wrong" only leads us right back to where we began: what parents, teachers, and books told us.

I can only hope that people who cannot rationalize right from wrong, for whatever reason, listen to the advice.

Thats my two cents, I'd like to have a discussion too.

16. when i was younger i used to curse like a sailor but then i grew up and out of that stage. when someone is talking to me and they are cursing every other word, i actually look down on them. cursing a lot is not a sin, but its immature

17. Back when God gave Moses the ten commandments, one of them was "Thou shalt not swear." But people don't understand what He really meant. The cuss words we use today did not exist back then and they were invented by humans after God told us to not swear. Saying the word "Fuck" will not send you to hell. If you use it a lot in a sentence. However, if you call someone a "fucker', a "bitch", etc., that is sinning because of the way you use the words. It is just as bad as if you called them a "dog turd", or a "crybaby", for God also said, "Love thy neighbor as thyself," Also, just judging people is a sin for He also said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." There are so many ways you can sin, people mix up the meanings. Back to my original point. When God said, "Thou shalt not swear," He meant that it is a sin to swear an oath. "Don't swear an oath on Heaven, for it is God's throne; on Earth, for it is His footstool; or by Jurusulem, for it is the city of the great King." Our so-called swear words do not fit anywhere into that equation unless they have ill meaning towards another.

18. You have no idea what you are talking about. But I guess you will find out when Jesus comes back and all people who haven't accepted Him gets left behind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Fuck religion I will swear like a mother fucking god dammed fucking sailor all I want, shit!

20. because this is the only life we get, and do we really want to spend that life being assholes....just... because we can? with our 1, our single, limited life? That's how you want to spend it and be remembered? Go for it. I think there's plenty of reasons why you should still be good in a Godless world, even if the reasons are selfish, they can still result in good things.

And I mean anyways, I don't need that. I literally have moral bounds, things I cannot do, will not do, and I do not need a set of rules to tell me that. It's just....common sense to me. I do not believe in any God, at least any mainstream one. I mean, it should be simple.... Just don't do anything to others that you wouldn't do to yourself... Live by that principle and you'll be good. Unless you're a self-hurting maniac. Then I wouldn't recommend that principle.

Other people are going through similar things to you, some even worse than you, and everybody just wants to get by. I don't see any point in being a shub or making it harder on other people.