Those who believe shootings are on the rise read this

Discussion in 'General' started by thelizardkin, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Yup, this is exactly the problem.

Take guns away and literally nothing will change. We need to learn how to treat illness rather than lock it away and pretend it doesn't exist.

2. Agreed 100%

Gun controls is a cop out to the situation at hand. Can't just sweep it under the carpet and pretend it's not there.

3. Exactly..we already have the most people incarcerated in the world, all being paid for by tax payers. Jail locks in the problem but doesn't solve it.

Criminals don't listen to laws, that's why they are criminals.

4. My morbid friend is like fucking obsessed with that dude. I pretty much know his whole fucking life story thanks to him. Sick shit...

5. How difficult is it to acquire a firearm in the US?

Now that I'm a resident of Australia, I've been looking into getting licensed here for recreational purposes, and it seems pretty straightforward. Though they're pretty strict on the type of gun. Which is fine - I fail to understand why the average citizen needs to own an assault weapon. There's no way for you to convince me that you need one for protection.

A lot of countries in Europe have had stellar success with strict gun controls. A lot of other countries have put less-strict laws in place and focussed their efforts on training, certifications, and requirements and had success (Switzerland, Norway, Canada).

Again, the current American system isn't working. Whether it's hammering down on weapon types, implementing stricter licensing, or have a look at your culture of violence... something's gotta give.

6. I want an assault rifle because it's an amazing piece of engineering, and is fun as fuck to fire.

I'm not allowed that right because it could be dangerous or used incorrectly?

If we apply that logic elsewhere, well we can succeed in nerfing the country, while the criminals can still access them and use them just as they are now.

And things are going well in the UK and Australia with their strict gun laws? I hear violent crime and gun crime has been on the rise, and the availability of such weapons is still as high as ever.

7. Just because one wants something, doesn't mean they should have it. We're clearly not going to see eye to eye on that.

And the statistics speak for themselves on gun-related crime rate. The UK is far below the US in that respect, and Australia is even further below that. From the article I linked above:

8. But how many stabbing and murders were there with weapons other than guns compared to the US?

9. I'm not the most educated person ever on this subject. And I should add that I'm pro gun-ownership, and was raised in a household full of firearms.

In 2010, there were a total of 648 homicides in the UK, 58 of which were by gun. The BBC reported last summer that killings in England and Wales are at a 30-year low.

10. Nor am I, and I'm not meaning to come off hostile either :smoke:

11. crime in general is actually on the decline but reporting of it has multiplied significantly. fear mongering at its finest.

12. Not at all, brah. It's an interesting issue and I'm always looking to learn more about it. :smoke:

Increased gun control may not prevent the next mass shooting, but it'll make it less likely - examples elsewhere have proven that. That being said, it's a real multi-faceted issue. From violence desensitization, mental health, social divides, cultural traditions... it's tricky business

13. Yeah I don't think there will ever be a legit solution for it here in the states to be honest.

We are The Divides States of America, it's rather sad.

I still feel like criminals will get there hands on the weapons they need whether they are legal or not. Just like we can get our hands on drugs that are illegal as well..

14. #34 Ẅest Čoast, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
    Here is what a lot of people who don't own firearms fail to realize. The semi-auto AR15 an average citizen owns is not an assault weapon. It is semi-auto firearm, just like any semi-auto pistol out there. It is not easy to acquire a fully automatic assault rifle for an average citizen. You need class II, III license to get a fully auto firearm. Which has to be registered with the ATF. Most states do require certification in safety before you can purchase a handgun or an AR15 style rifle. In a lot of states you also have the 10 day wait before you can pick up your firearm, that includes handguns, shotguns, rifles etc.

So my question to you is, how can you tweak our current laws in a way that will prevent a criminal from obtaining an illegal firearm to do the crime?

15. i just bought a shot gun last week, while its no assult rifle. it was pretty easy. I heard there was a huge spike in assault rifle sales in the past few weeks. Saw some AR's at the shop for around 4-8k. Highly Doubt they are full auto. I would love to own a fully automatic AK. I'd hang that shit on my wall like a Monet

16. Right? I wouldn't even use that bitch. It would be my pride and joy.

17. The local highschool in my town now requires that all classroom doors be locked during classes, this is their response to the recent elementary school shooting.

The world is stuck in a state of increasing paranoia.

18. You should need to take a gun safety corse and a test IMO not even so much for crime as to stop accidents if you're not willing to learn gun safety you shouldn't be allowed to own one it should be like cars

19. "Tweaking" the gun control laws isn't going to stop criminals from acquiring firearms. But keeping firearms so easily accessible isn't a way forward either. The whole system of gun ownership needs to be reevaluated, as does the accessibility of mental health care and the overwhelming prevalence of violence in media.

And... correct me if I'm misunderstanding here, because this sound wild to me: you can purchase a gun without having prior certifications and safety training? Holy fuck...

20. Pretty much always has been like that for me. Not enforced 100 percent but common.