This part of the forum needs to be more active

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by cheechjr, Mar 16, 2008.

1. You think it would be the most active. It seems everyone is losing hope. Even if it's not legalized in your lifetime think of your children! Every little thing helps. I live in a town with a population of 3,000 and we have small rallys all the time. Marching through town and then going and camping on private property and smoking.

Think of some slogans for us and give all the information you can. Every little piece of information and every idea can put us one step closer to legalization.

2. did you know ralph nader is actually for the legalization of hemp and marijuana. he acknowledges that these are victimless crimes that end up hurting America. putting those in jail for small amounts of weed? how the hell is that justifiable?

just my 2 cents

3. We don't have any rallies round where I live so I search for marijuana-related news on the net as much as I can through the day, most articles allow you to post comments so I always post a reply to prohibition-supporting articles.

Also, if an article contains marijuana-bashing comments from lawmakers I email them directly pointing out the errors in their way of thinking. I plan to start emailing all their colleagues as well soon which hopefully will mean they'll feel a direct negative response to voicing their support for the prohibition. ;)

4. I agree, there is too much apathy. Most marijuana smokers always complain how it is illegal, but they never bother doing anything about it. As sad as it is to say, the posts that get the most responses are "mom/pigs caught me" or "omg im high". I have no problem with these posts, they fit perfectly into this type of forum. My problem is these posts are way more popular and plentiful than activist posts. People love to hate on the police for marijuana related issues, but they put no effort into trying to change the laws.

I also think the problem goes further than the lazy stoner stereotype, it is more of a lazy generation. There was a recent post in another forum about everyone's age here and I believe 90% were under 28 years old. I've seen apathy in more than just legalization: the Iraq War, patriot act, even youth voter turnout.

Last year I saw someone that decided on her 18th birthday, instead of partying all day long and whining about not getting enough gifts or attention, she would fly across the country to help host a rally to encourage youth voting and made her first act of being an adult registering to vote.

She inspired me to become an activist too. I always impress upon people to learn the issues so their vote will count meaningfully. Her activism also inspired me to join SSDP (Students for Sensible Drug Policy) and become active in various environmental groups.

My point is, lead by example. If you are a well-spoken person, you will be respected, change people's minds and encourage more people to take up the fight, whatever your cause may be.

5. I was going to mention the age thing myself, but I don't think it's a lazy generation I just think for most people the willingness and ability to voice their opposition to government policies doesn't kick in till they're in their thirty's or forty's. Like you say, most people here are a lot younger than that.

What you see here in the City are the activists of the future. Twenty years from now a lot of the people here today will be putting serious pressure on the government to end the prohibition. That's why I try to post as much information as I can about marijuana and about the harm caused by the prohibition. I also tend to spend a lot of time on LEAP's site where people are a lot older and have no problem arguing with the government. ;)

6. yeah, i agree. i mean, i donate to norml when i can, and i educate, and further educate myself on the topic of not only recreational marijuana use, but also medical marijuana use, the use of hemp in industry, and these "consipiricy" theories, but its hard to actually take action.

7. "When did you get so interested in voting?"
    "The very instant I became old."

I would like to donate to norml, and I wholly intend to give my fair share when I get back stateside, but here's a "fund-raising" idea I had. For every set amount of green purchased (say... $10 worth as an example), just throw a little extra, like a dollar or 50c... something, aside and every so often donate this money that you have collected. It doesn't seem like much but if everyone did that... well that'd be an asston of funding for NORML, haha. I am going to start doing this and my friends will also. I also intend to start a norml chapter at my university if I can find enough people (no problem!).

And to the guy who posted before me... long live metal!