this maybe a stupid question but......

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jayjay5396, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Do socket timers still use any electric during the off period?

i have a 400w HPS the timer is set for 12/12 but im curious to know if these timers still use power on the off period

the timer i got is just a cheap 1 with the dial and pins on it yes it works well i know im using power while the light is on but while the light is off i can hear noises like an electric noise coming from the timer apparently this is normal but is it still using power

2. It will use a very little bit to keep track of the time while the lights are off to know when to turn back on. But I can't imagine it's much energy at all.

3. sounds like i got nothing to worry about then ive also found out that me pc uses near enough the same as my light thats shocked me so im using my pc less so i can grow my plants stupid as that sounds but i not got alot of money

4. The timer itself will. But it acts like a fuse, when you think about it. While the cycle is on, the circuit is complete, when it shuts off, it disconnects the circuit, just like a fuse being overloaded. Except this is controlled haha.

5. Not a stupid question.

The timers will still need a little juice to keep going, but it's so little that it's not going to cause any alarms for anyone.

6. thank you its just i have to ask questions i dont know about since im very new to this some growers seem to think i should know everything im just a smoker really with the growing am just starting out i gotta ask stuff i need to learn about things that most on this site already know about thanks tho i appreciate it

7. Check the amperage of your 400 w Hps. Guarantee its gonna be 15 amp. Now check the amperage of your timer. If its a cheapy its probably NOT 15 amp. Pony up a few bucks and buy a 15 amp timer so the next post we get from you doesn't begin, "Well, I went to flower but then my fucking house burnt down".

Just want to keep you safe, man!
    :rolleyes:

8. A 400 watt light is not "gunna be 15 amps".

A 400 watt light draws 4-5 amps. So even a cheap 10 amp timer is ok for a 400. A 1000 watt light draws 10-11 amps, so you need a 15 amp timer or better a 20amp. Also most cheap timers are 15 amps.

So no you wont burn your house down, your actually your safe with that 400 and timer, just don't expect it to handle any more.

9. And that's why I told him to look at it, yes? All 'I'm saying is that he should follow the manufactures guidelines. If it IS a 15 amp light then he should be using a 15 amp timer. Period. You don't mess around when it comes to electricity. Seriously...

10. No! If it is a 15 amp light (which is a 1400watt, doesn't exist) then you would need a 20 amp timer and circuit. You should never use more than 75% of what the circuit is rated. So if you have a 1000 watt light a 15 amp circuit is barley enough. I run 240 to keep the amps down which really helps reduce loss in the wires.

I recommend 240 to everyone, it is better in every way for your ballast..

11. Holy crap that's cool. I thought it was was gunna be crappy. It really is secret and well concealed. All you need to do is get the temps down. Invest in a 4" inline centrifugal blower and you can get rid of half the computer fans and probably keep things much cooler.

12. Agreed. Unfortunately 240 isn't easily run to your average, garden variety (no pun intended) grow room. :D

13. That's what I used to think too. But it really just as easy as 120V. Its not really 240V its just two 120V lines and 1 ground.

So you get a a breaker that has two 120V breakers linked with a Bar, then the outlet has two 120V screws and one ground screw. The real problem is spending the money, you also have to buy a new timer, and cord for ballast, outlet, wire nuts, electrical box, cable(sometimes).

If your ballast plug gets warm even a little then I think its worth it two switch. But its not important all two switch.

14. You would never notice a difference on your bill. Maybe a couple kwh a month or less?

Yes, it has to in order to keep track of time and be able to turn lights back on

15. Just got my first electric bill with all of my indoor grow stuff on it. I was really surprised to see that it only went up a little less than $60.00 a month considering i'm running 1500 watts of lighting, two circulation fans, a vent/exhaust fan, an Ona Power Bucket and a humidifier that pretty much runs 24/7 (I'm in Colorado and its DRY here). Was also running at least some lighting 24/7. Eight days into flower now so it will only go down from here. Well, until I start another grow that is!

:D