This may sound dumb.. but! do i have to dry or process castings?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Inthedirt4good, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Like i mentioned there right in the title...

I gathered up a bunch of worms, in the spring for fishing. Some from under a compost pile of leaves and grass clippings, and some from under a pile of mostly dry horse manure and a couple big juicy ones from under a pile of wood chips. I completely forgot about the bucket and just bumped into it two weeks ago.

Fortunately, i am nice to all creatures, large and small... and left some manure, and partially decomposed yard material in the bucket for worm food. Since i found the bucket, i've punched some small holes in the bottom sides, added a some dry eggshells, some stuff from the crisper and buried some fruit-skins.

Now what i have is a bucket with healthy worms and what looks like 2 gallons of particularized mud. I guess those are the castings.. Do i have to treat, or dry the castings, or screen that material or can i use it directly as a soil amendment... tonight... for some clone cuttings (minus the egg balls)

2. seriously if this really Is the dumbest worm casting question ever posted... please tell me.. i can take it :D

3. use them straight up. I Imagine you have looked into the "Vermicomposting" thread that is stickied at the top of this forum already

4. Hey P_Snickers, Thank you for the reply.

Yes i've read a fair amount on vericulture threads, and a little on organic soil recipes, and searched out a ton of great information. Red Wigglers vs. African Giants, Maintaining good pH, micro-culture organisms and their relation relationship with root systems... Even a little something called.... umm.. Hibachi composting. . ( somethin like that ) ( the organic material npk breakdown charts.. etc. etc.) There's so much information out here its awesome. Anyhow. Thank you for the reply.. i hadn't stumbled over anyone directly saying something along the lines of... Yes just add it right into your soil recipe at 10-30% and plant directly into it.

5. i believe the word you're looking for is "Bokashi"

6. "Yes just add it right into your soil recipe at 10-30% and plant directly into it."

There you go. It's a very forgiving ammendment. Make sure that you still have good drainage, it can weigh down your soil a bit.

You'll love the results, if you haven't already been using homemade composts. The differences between good, naturally fed wormcastings/compost, and the cheapo mass farmed newspaper/chicken litter concoctions are outstanding.

7. Screened castings are just that, sifted through 1/4 mesh so they don't lose any eggs and to keep chunks out. I use un-screened and get all the trimmings as I am building an organic army or microbes. More is not better when using castings any more than 25 to 30% is being wasted. It won't harm your plants but they will not use it. I use 50 lb mixed in 32 sq. ft. Love the stuff, my wife uses it too couple hand fulls then water in. not my wife her plants.