Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

This May Be A Stupid Question...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Xativa, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hey GC, I got a question for all you knowledgable blades out there. Is there any way to tell a sativa from an indica without seeing the leaves or smoking it?
    For example, am I correct in thinking the all purple strains are indica dominant?

Thanks for the help, I'm a total noob :p

2. [quote name='"Xativa"']Hey GC, I got a question for all you knowledgable blades out there. Is there any way to tell a sativa from an indica without seeing the leaves or smoking it?
    For example, am I correct in thinking the all purple strains are indica dominant?

Thanks for the help, I'm a total noob :p[/quote]

No your not correct. And the only way would be by going by basic traits of sativa buds which would be a bit more airy and fluffy with a sweet fruity smell where indica is little dense round nuggets. See the thing is due to the grower that can change so it's really hard to tell.

3. A simple google search would have sufficed.

4. I don't trust random internet sites, I trust the people here.
    And thanks for the replies :D

5. #5 Rico24, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
    Purple colors are triggered by seasonal temperature changes (just as trees change color in the fall), the vibrant hues of the mature pot plant are also the result of genetics and the creativity of the cultivator or breeder.

So basically, purple means nothing man. Simple temp drop and that shit gun turn purple bruh.

6. Okay, that makes sense, thanks!
    So does that mean that Caramelicious (for example) is so brightly colored because of what the breeder did?

7. Not a freakin clue. Alls i knows is whats i said

8. Haha, fair enough :p
    Do you think that question would get answered on the cultivation forum?

9. caramelicious has pink hairs due to natural variations in strains.. the only thing you can affect as a grower is purple/limegreen colorwise.. and you can harvest early to affect pistil transparency but thats hardly noticeable to most

10. Lime green?
    Is that when the temperature increases?
    Since purple is from a decrease in temperature...

11. no brighter greens are indicative of a more utopian growing environment, i.e. nutrient levels/pH/water/light being just right. Darker greens indicate one of the nutrients being too high/low, cant remember which specifically. But, then again, some strains are simply darker or lighter green. Most variation is either strain dependent or nutrient dependent (i.e. grower dependent)

12. like somebody else said, you could differentiate them, but its too hard because minor factors can affect the weed.

generally:
    sativa- light, fluffy nugs. smells fruity
    indica- heavy, dense nugs. smells strong(no recognizable "flavor", just very strong smell)

13. So due to the fruity smell, is it easier to grow sativas stealthily?

14. No, because they tend to stretch requiring more room. As far as stench goes, you just get a carbon filter exhaust, it takes the smell out of the air

15. But seriously man, a 30 second google search will link you back to this site and answer all your questions. Not trying to be rude, I'm just saying asking if sativas are more stealthy because they are fruity is a very answerable question in this day and age. Self sufficiency ftw

16. Im pretty sure no one can give a definite answer because in my opinion theres way too many variations out there to say that a sativa is blah blah blah only and a indica is blah blah blah and not blah.

for example: Ive seen purp strains (dark purp at that) grown indoors and the temperature is no where near cold. This seems to contradict what everyone is saying about purps only being grown in the cold weather. total bs in my opinion

hopefully I made sense but I'm blazed

17. Low temps are not the ONLY thing that produces purple buds..... There are several strains that are naturally purple.

But I agree with your first statement 100%

18. without smoking? not really. you could try asking the dealer if he knows, or if he is stupid and has no idea what that means ask him what the high is like(sativa-active high, muchies, things are funny, etc, or indica-body high, couch lock, just wanna chill sorta high) most weed these days seem to be hybrids though,

19. Can't really tell....the only indication that I've noticed is that indica tends to be way denser than sativa.