This light too powerful for seedlings?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Chinity, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Absolutly not. I have mine under two six hundred watt hps. It's funny I saw this thread cuz I was wondering if maybe they'd do just as we'll under one six for the first couple weeks.
    But I do know the light your looking at is fine. Think of the sun it never kills seedlings they do just fine
    Although I have had plants do just fine under one cfl each but the only did was growth rate. They deffinitly grow thicker and faster under stronger lights

2. Numbnutts nailed it.

3. thats odd cuz I read a book on mj growing and they said the seedlings cannot be expose to strong lights since they are still young.

4. I have a non dimmable 1kw hps on my plants, only 4-5, from seedling to finish and never seen any signs of "Too much light"

As far as I've discovered in my brief year of trying to grow is, there's no such thing as too much light unless it causes heat issues. Even if it does somehow end up being too much, just move it further away.

5. Well, with HID you don't want to drop the lights close to newly germinated seedlings, but if you start at 30-36" & drop 6" a day they will harden by the time you get the light to it's normal growth height.
    But the 125W CFL will be fine, it's not strong enough to cook them. It WILL get hot; test with the back of your hand at the same distance as the top of your seedlings.

6. Hey Numbnutts, havent seen you around for awhile, hope all's well.
    And I bet one of those 600's will keep you busy for a few weeks:D

7. I have my seedling under two 42w cfls when they rise above soil,but they keep sinking and bending :( help!

8. You need to move them closer to the light. The plants should be literally an inch or so away from the light.

9. Yep, what the cute little Indian Princess girl sez....;)
    Hey In the Garden, there you go giving good advice again!!!

10. [quote name='"InTheGarden"']

You need to move them closer to the light. The plants should be literally an inch or so away from the light.[/quote]

Okay, I've tried this. I am thinking my problem is I'm putting them under light too soon...? Maybe because it just was a white pod above soil just barely. And now it doesn't look like its getting better after I started the lights today..

11. Thanks Olde School, I do my best :smoke:

12. I germinate,plant with plastic over top until I see it break medium,then light and then kapoot! Every time they have problems or just die, never get the green color

13. When you say "they just die", do they sort of shrivel up from the base of the plant up? Like the base of the stalk gets real thin and then they die?

edit: And there's no such thing as putting them under the light too soon. Once the seed goes in the soil, put it under the light.

14. That happened to the one I had yesterday,it was green with the two small leaves and next time I checked on it,it was slouched over like it couldn't hold it's own. Dead now. This one I have now was just white and just above soil about a few cm and now it looks like its not going to grow,otherwords dying. It broke ground this morning and I read to give them light a soon as you see anything.

15. Alright, I just don't get why they die as soon as I give them light, unless I let them grow a little with no light,thn I let the seed sprout til the two tiny leaves come out,give it light. That's the only way. :(

16. As soon as you put the seed in the pot you should turn the light on. It sounds like you have damping off fungus. This is a pathogen that attacks the seedling at soil level. Go to google images and type in "cannabis seedling damping off" and tell me if that's what it looks like. If so, we can fix that.

17. No, my plant isn't even showing the pods as green,it's just white. And it looks like it was going to be turning green but since the light it seems to be stunted. It's like white on top of soil.

18. OK. Are you having seedlings that emerge, and then die, or they just don't emerge at all? How long has this been going on and how many seeds have you gone through?

19. here it is, i finally watered it again. its been about 6 days.

Attached Files: