This is terrible.

Discussion in 'General' started by KundaliniRising, Dec 5, 2009.

1. #1 KundaliniRising, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009
    Alot of people say out of all disabilities aside from being paralyzed, they would never want to be blind. Well, imagine that you only have one eye, and you have to have surgery to save your life, but the catch is, you'll lose your other eye and be completely blind. Knowing that your about to be blind, it's like knowing the date of your death. I think I would choose death over becoming blind. It's one thing to be born blind, you never know how beautiful the world is, but to have sight, and know your going to lose it would be devestating.

Heres the video of this boys story. It's very touching, my eyes started to well up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX0ovhkgR7s&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Jake Olson: A True Inspiration[/ame]

2. Awh, poor kid. That must feel so awful. The world is such a beautiful place, and knowing that you'll never see it again...that's heartbreaking.

3. Perhaps without his sight the World will seem even more beautiful- more beautiful than we could imagine having eyes.

4. Hows is looking at a blank screen beautiful

5. Losing one sense can sometimes heighten the remaining senses. Imagine smelling and hearing the World in a brand new way, judging people based on how they speak to you- not how they look.

6. I couldn't even bare to hit play.

7. Well on that note maybe everyone should be blind, not judging people on how they look (yes its impractical, but it would interesting)

8. Being blind is pretty terrible, but I would jump on it in a second over death. Or probably even deafness.

9. #9 Tyro01, Dec 5, 2009
    Yes but we have that skill because all of the successful humans have used that, survived, and then had the ability to pass on their genes. But then again does one naturally look as an "undesirable" or does society create them?

Still it is an amazing story, and i would totally hit a blunt that kid (when hes older of course :rolleyes:)
    I was sad at first, but when i saw how it came out i felt good ya know. Kids so wise too...

10. Have any of you guys ever thought of blindfolding yourself, like taping gauze over your eyes and then putting a blindfold over that, and staying like that for a week to see how much your other senses heighten? I wonder if you did this for like a month, if your other senses would permanently heighten, like being on some kung fu type shit lol, or the karate kid where they throw gas in the girls eyes and she's still able to sense and fight them. I'm sure if anything it would give you a whole new appreciation for having sight. In highschool the AP psychology class (I wasn't in AP) had to do something like this, they were either blindfolded, or only have one eye covered, or wearing glasses with vaseline smeared on them, or having earplugs put in, or having their arms wrapped up like they didn't have any, and then writing a report on what it was like. Alot of blind kids got ball tapped that day lol.

11. Shaolin monks blindfold themselves during training.

12. I wonder if blind people still have visuals on psychadelics(sp?).

13. People who are born blind do not have visual dreams while sleeping, so I would think that they do not have visuals while on psychedelic drugs.

14. #14 Occultivator, Dec 5, 2009
    Well if closed-eye visuals are possible, I think they would. Especially if they had sight before blindness- like memory visuals and flashbacks.. I've never met a blind person who has used psychedelics tho..

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bonnet_syndrome

15. Helen Keller said that deafness was a worse handicap than being blind.

Jake is young, and medical science may one day, in his lifetime, be capable of restoring sight for people like him.