This is not a pipe

Discussion in 'General' started by Deleted member 506764, Mar 31, 2013.

1. I saw this painting online and just figured I'd share it here and see what you all thought of it. It's pretty cool in my opinion and it is true if you think about it.

[​IMG]

Translated into English it reads "This is not a pipe"

2. Yeah, looks like an image of a painting of a pipe.

• Like Like x 1

3. Well actually it looks like a pipe. It is an image of a painting of a pipe.

4. That's what I said.

5. Nah, see you didn't say what it is, but you said what it looks like. Appearance is not reality, which is what this painting is meant to demonstrate.

6. Rene Magritte is incredible

That is surely not a pipe. Looks like a picture to me

7. Dam thats crazy I can see how its not a pipe

8. tomato tomato, potato potato.

The fact is, it actually does look like an image of a painting of a pipe. That just so happens to be what it is as well. Don't get caught up on semantics here because we're way past this.

9. Yeah I suppose but I think the semantics of it are important in this case. If we define two sets of things such that one set has everything it looks like and the other set has everything it is it would look like this:

What it looks like:
    A pipe
    A painting of a pipe
    An image of a painting of a pipe

What it is:
    An image of a painting of a pipe

10. It is what it is and nothing more.

11. LOL it's like I am in some painting gallery and we are all just staring at a painting :cool:

12. it just is.

13. I think this is a tautology.

14. I've got to apologize, I was being rather brass. I like the point here, but you also know what I meant when I sad it.

15. Well yeah...you're a hand banana!

16. its turtles all the way down!

• Like Like x 1
  17. If you look at it at an angle...looks kinda like an oil spill...kindaaaa

18. No problem, I was being somewhat uptight about language and I did know what you meant, though it wasn't what you said.

19. I've heard that before. I forget in what context but I remember finding it pretty funny at the time.