This Day in Music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Spiritinthesky, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Fancy a daily music happening?

How about this to start with.

25th Feb 1943, Born on this day, George Harrison guitarist and vocalist with The Beatles, the world's most successful group. The all-time bestselling album in the UK is The Beatles' 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', with over 4.5 million copies sold. Harrison wrote the 1969 US No.1 & UK No.4 Beatles single ‘Something'. As a solo artist he had the 1971 US No.1 album 'All Things Must Pass' and the 1970 worldwide No.1 single ‘My Sweet Lord'. He was also a member of the Traveling Wilburys with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. Harrison died of cancer on November 29th 2001.

More on George: George Harrison

2. Keep this going please

3. Thanks and I will. Here is another for today!

25th Feb 2006, George Michael was found slumped over in a car in Hyde Park, London. A concerned person spotted the singer and called police who after being checked by paramedics was arrested on suspicion of possessing drugs and then released on bail. Michael made a public statement about the incident and said "I was in possession of class C drugs which is an offense and I have no complaints about the police who were professional throughout." He also said that the event was "my own stupid fault, as usual."

George Michael

4. 26th Feb 1932, Born on this day, Johnny Cash, US country singer, songwriter who had a 1969 US No.2 & UK No.4 single with ‘A Boy Named Sue’ plus 11 other US Top 40 singles. He had the US TV Johnny Cash show in the late 60s’ early 70s. Cash died of respiratory failure on September 12th 2003, aged 71. More Johnny Cash

5. #5 Mr. Mojorising, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
    Nice cross post!

This Day in Music

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhWJF35Q81k"]Johnny Cash Burning Ring of Fire [/ame].

6. 27th Feb 2004, A worker in a supermarket in Aspen, Colorado alerted the police-after seeing a man shopping with his face covered by a mask. Police arrived on the scene and identified the man as Michael Jackson who was in town on holiday with his children.

7. 1st March 1944, Born on this day, Roger Daltrey, vocals, The Who, (1965 UK No.2 single 'My Generation' plus over 20 other UK hit singles, 16 US Top 40 singles, rock opera albums 'Tommy' & 'Quadrophenia'). Solo, (1973 UK No.5 single 'Giving It All Away'). My Generation

8. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2h1MY70uag"]The Who[/ame] - The Real Me

9. 4th March 1966, John Lennon's statement that The Beatles were 'more popular than Jesus Christ' was published in The London Evening Standard. "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. We’re more popular then Jesus now; I don’t know which will go first, rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity. Jesus was alright, but his disciples were thick and ordinary." Christian groups in the US were outraged resulting in some states burning Beatles records. Lennon later apologised.

Audioboo / This Day in Music 4th March

10. Chris Squire bassist from Yes 3-4-48
    and
    Jason Newstedt bassist from Metallica 3-4-63

11. 5th March 1983, Michael Jackson started a seven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Billie Jean', his fourth solo US No.1, also No.1 in the UK. And on this day Jacksons album 'Thriller' went to No.1 for the first time on the UK album chart, it went on to become the biggest selling album of all time with sales over 50 million.
    Audioboo / This Day in Music 5th March

12. March 6th 1982, Tight Fit were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of The Tokens hit 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight.' It was first recorded by its writer, Solomon Linda, and his group, The Evening Birds, in 1939. In 2004, the song became the subject of a lawsuit between the family of its writer Solomon Linda and Disney. The suit claimed that Disney owed $1.6 million in royalties for the use of 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' in the film and stage production of The Lion King. A settlement was reached for an undisclosed amount in 2006.

Audioboo / This Day in Music 6th March

13. David Gilmore of the Floyd was born today in 1946

1973: With "Cum On Feel The Noize," glam-rockers Slade become the first band to have a UK single debut at #1 since the Beatles with "Get Back" in 1969.

2000: With his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist, Eric Clapton becomes the first person inducted three times. (His first two inductions came as members of the Yardbirds and Cream.)

14. Also this song was released...classic

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_aYibUx1B8]Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon [with lyrics] - YouTube[/ame]

15. 1945, Born on this day, Arthur Lee, guitarist, songwriter with US group Love who had the 1966 US No.33 single '7 And 7 Is', and the 1968 UK No.24 album 'Forever Changes'.

1946, Born on this day, Peter Wolf, singer with The J Geils Band who had the 1982 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Centrefold'.

1969, Led Zeppelin appeared at the Bluesville 69 Club at the Hornsey Wood Tavern, Finsbury Park, London, England. The venue was a function room at the back of the pub, and was so small that the stage was only just big enough for John Bonham's drums, and the rest of the group had to stand on the floor at the same level as the crowd.

1970, Simon and Garfunkels album 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' started a ten week run at No.1 on the US chart. The duo had split-up by the time of release.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_a46WJ1viA]Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water Studio Version - YouTube[/ame]

1976, Elton John was immortalised in wax at Madame Tussauds in London. The first rock star to be so since The Beatles.

1985 - The song "We Are the World" was heard on the radio for the first time.

16. March 7th 1966, Tina Turner recorded her vocal on the Phil Spector produced 'River Deep Mountain High'. It went on to make No.3 in the UK but only No.88 on the US chart.

Hear more at Audioboo / This Day in Music 7th March

17. 8th March 1973, Paul McCartney was fined £100 ($170) for growing cannabis at his farm in Campbeltown, Scotland. McCartney claimed some fans gave the seeds to him and that he didn't know what they would grow.

18. Ron (Pigpen) Mckernan dies today in 1973

RIP Pig.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APaHglOeEcg]Grateful Dead ~ Easy Wind ~ 01-16-1970 ~ Springers Inn Portland OR - YouTube[/ame]

19. NEW MUSIC FOR YOU SOCIAL OUTCASTS!!!
    check this out, the studio is under construction for now
    but i wanted to put out a new song so here is NSOM
    #NarcoticStateOfMind #AFTA #DIG
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0UXoCkYJNc]EzDig Narcotic State Of Mind Official Video - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e92KrBBcKUk]EzDig Zero Dark Thirty - YouTube[/ame]

20. Best rock album ever?

On 10th March 1973, Pink Floyd released their eighth studio album 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' in the US. It remained in the US charts for 741 discontinuous weeks from 1973 to 1988, longer than any other album in history.

More on the story: The Dark Side Of The Moon