This can not be legal...

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by toHiGh420, Dec 8, 2011.

1. tHello Grass city i have a question for you! (I know GC likes everything summed up so here)

Question: Is it legal in the state of Texas for high schools to administer random drug test's to a student who is not in an extracurricular activity?:confused:

Story/Reason: I was recently talking with my friend's sister who lives out in Katy, Texas (Very Wealthy and over funded community) asking about her son and how he was doing for he is a child hood friend. She begins telling me about how he repeatedly keeps failing his drug tests. And if he keeps failing he will have to go a drug counselor (who is not cheap might I mind you) and if that does not work he will get kicked out of school.:eek:

After asking her why she would ever could them consent to do this she claims they no longer require it! I was and still am astonished, has this ever been taken to a higher court!?:rolleyes:

Thank you for your time GC, lord knows we have nothing else to do with it haha:wave:

2. I can't speak for the legality of it, but if they tried that shit on me in high school I wouldn't have lasted long.

3. drug testing students.. ffs

shits so ridiculous

4. If its a public school then id tell them to show that piss cup up their ass....but if its a private school then its a whole other story.

5. #5 toHiGh420, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    The only court case I was able to find on this matter was,

Vernonia School District 47J Vs. Acton (1995):
    The court upheld mandatory suspicion-less drug tests for all students participating in interscholastic athletics.

But nothing on the matter of drug testing random students. Unless... It falls under the category of "clear and present danger" for the students attending the school. I am not sure, I just am personally thankful that I never had to go through that, my highschool was under re-construction(as in they tear down the old school and build a new one, while we are still attending the school) so there really was no extra money to be wasted on pointless drug testing. Let that be up to the parents to decide.

6. If your kid is not in any activities where physical performance is a factor they have no business testing the child. Also, why the fuck are they testing kids for weed? It's no fucking performance enhancer.

7. I actually don't live very far from Katy in another upscale city of Houston. When we were in high school, four or so years ago it was a sports only type of thing. They sent a permission slip home for the parents to sign. Now, it extends to music, drama, band, any group that requires off campus UIL activities. I remember some of the parents getting upset because it always seemed like the same group of kids getting tested...sometime they would just set up a table in the hall, and pick students walking by that looked the part...

It's Texas..

Sucks.

8. I couldn't agree more, this is just another opportunity for the gov and drug companies to leach more money out of the tax payer. For fuck's sake not to mention the irrationality these people have to do this to these kids. :(

I am not sure about you guys, but I am not sure that I would have made it through high school without Mary Jane. :smoke:

If I were the parent I would put my foot down and challenge this directly to the Supreme Court, I am pretty sure this directly violates some Fundamental Rights. :mad:

9. We as citizens should not stand for this, it makes me noxious watching our freedoms crumble in front of us...

10. It's funny. I NEVER had that happen to me.

I think it just depends on the school. I was in some extra-curricular activities and not once did I see anybody tested.

11. I went to private school and EVERYONE had to be drug tested once a year, regardless if you were involved in EC activities or not. They also randomly selected students. I was drug tested twice in one year and I didnt play any sports. My school also did hair tests which trace back three months.

12. Yes but you were enrolled in a private school, private schools are much stricter and are able to write their own rules and regulations.

There is no mentioning of being able to drug test students not participating in interscholastic school activities in a public school. Even after the parents and said student refuse consent. No...

This is just unconstitutional,

13. You want to talk unconstitutional? What about a students right to protection from illegal search and seizure. I personally believe it's unconstitutional to charge students for the use of lockers, while its contents remain unprotected by the law.

14. ^ I've always agreed with that.

On the note of the OP, I do know that the Federal Government doesn't get involved with drug testing regulation, that's left entirely up to state definition. So, Texas is legally testing students.

But, that doesn't make it right. It's absolutely absurd that we're testing students, what is this coming to...

15. Why the fuck is your dumbass friend taking the tests

16. cause weed makes you think outside the box and politicians hate that shit,

hs is the perfect time to make them perfect sheeple

17. Not in my case. I'm far less articulate in my speech, and my ideas are far crappier when I'm baked. Sober me is smart, stoned me is mellllllooooowww.

18. 1 I'm glad they never tested me I would have been kicked out in 8th grade for sure.
    2 Schools are full of Closed-minded idiots, anyone Remeber Dare or the Great Program. I do, I remember a cop coming into school with a bunch of weed saying that one hit could kill you passing around a locked (Believe me I tried opening it) container with blunts, buds, hitters, and showing us what a bong was. They even gave a description of a stoner Having glassy eyes, Being a constant Procrastinator, and using other drugs. And told us to tell them if anyone was using the Deadly Marijuana. Their scare tactic didn't work. All I could do was laugh Hysterically at the closed-Minded pig. Later that Night, I built my first homemade Bong (Thanks for teaching me the parts of, and how a bong worked) And I got Ripped.
    3 Weed is great.

19. Keep smoking herb fuck that. Why are you going to change your way of life for the shit ass government. Keep smoking and enjoy the visions they try to keep from you. brb og kush

20. wow. i woulda refused that shit not a chance id let that bull shit happen to me. this just seems wrong, no way in hell would i let them drug test me randomly walking down the hallway. id tell em to fuck off or just keep walking lol. makes me glad i aint in high school nemore having to deal with all those rules and bull shit.