Thinking of trying to learn to blow glass...

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by tobymac420, Oct 20, 2011.

1. So i am thinking of trying to pick this up as a hobby. I know im not going to be blowing roors or illadelphs anytime soon just more something I want to do for fun. Does anyone know of somewhere to get a glass blowing at home starter kit or even dvds. I might take a class at my local college but i prefer to self learn at my own pace if you know what i mean. If anyone can help i would appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    Toby Mac :poke::poke::poke::poke::poke:

2. That's something I definitely wouldn't teach myself

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'm pretty sure thats not an at home activity. You can take classes for glass blowing. Just google around for some places in your area. I can't imagine it cost more than $50 for a lesson.

4. DO NOT attempt to teach yourself glassblowing. It can be extremely dangerous. You can incinerate half of an arm in a millisecond. And burn your house down.

The single problem with generic "glassblowing lessons" is that they focus on objects such as beads, plates, drinking cups, paperweights, etc. The art of creating functional glass pipes is entirely different. You will be doing yourself a disservice by taking one of these generic classes and thinking that you are then a capable glassblower.

Think about it. There's a reason not everybody blows glass. It's a very "underground" scene. And it's extremely difficult. Every glassblower that works for RooR has a scientific glassblowing degree and most reputable heady glassblowers have been doing it for a looooong time. Your best bet if you are SERIOUS about getting into it is:
    (1)Join a glassblowing forum [i.e. GlassDistrict]
    (2)Look for glassblowers near your area
    (3)Browse their work, pick your favorite artist
    (4)Do your best to get in contact with him thru forum,
    let him know that you're interested in blowing glass, tell
    him that his work is your favorite style, and see if he'll work
    with you. Set up a price for lessons.

If you go any other route, I sincerely wish you luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. See this is what i dont get. People make statments without researching anything. yes you can blow glass at home. You dont use a furnace you use a hot head blow torch instead. Classes for glass blowing where i live at least are VERY expensive. For 8 classes it is $1,250 and that the cheapest in Chicago. I am not trying to be rude but i was asking a question and feel people are giving me a rude remark in response.

6. Also i would like to state i will be doing this in a barn outside of my house. I dont mean i will be blowing glass in my living room. :)

7. Also Smokey i will be trying your option. Thanks for the advice.

8. I wasn't trying to be rude bro. But you are incorrect in your statement "People make statements without researching anything." I've done extensive research my friend. I've blown glass before, several times. I am just trying to give you decent advice, and that's the response I get...

And a hot head blow torch? You could use one but don't expect great results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sorry, you posted this while I was typing the last one. No worries, friend :smoke:

10. That is not a good route, glass district is not what you want, you want talkglass.com. I wouldn't just go around "picking you favorite artists" and just asking them for lessons, its just not gunna work. I started online with no help whatsoever besides a book and online resources.

Search lampworking. Glassblowing is not what you want, everyone calls it glassblowing but what you want is lampworking really.

Its expensive though, you need a kit which is around 600$ plus tanks and gas and a kiln and supplies, it gets super expensive fast.

all you really need if you are interested is talkglass.com

11. I beg to differ. GlassDistrict is how I found the guy that apprenticed me. I'm not going to go throwing his name around because I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate an influx of stoners trying to get lessons. Sure some people can be assholes. There's just as many cool people on that site. Also, I'm not putting down your suggestion like you did mine. I'm just saying there are multiple routes for the OP to take.

12. Ok yes see that it what i was talking about. I see online it is called blowing glass but yes I wanted to learn lampworking. What books did you use for a resource if i may ask?

13. Go for it man. Make sure you do research and have a proper setup with proper safety precautions such as adequate ventilation etc, and you will be gtg. Keep in mind it will be an expensive hobby, but with enough time and patience and hopefully a little artistic ability you will be able to start to recoup some money eventually. Just remember you will only be able to get out of it what you put into it.

14. Just out of curiosity Smiley can you make things other than bead using lampwork. I just ask because EVERYTHING i see about lampworking now is talking about bead making.

15. talkglass.com

16. Lampworking imply the use of a lamp, or torch, to work with. Make whatever you want bro.

Start off watching some basics on youtube, then once you learn some terminology then you can narrow your research down looking for technique, Fillacello, retticello, Millifiori, etc. Its alot of fun just doing research. I am personally also in the process of setting up a studio in my garage. I have pretty much everything setup, but am just making sure i save up all the funds to get my torch/kiln/misc other supplies. I want to try to get as much as i can in one time. Makeing sure i save up and do it right. But the studio is basically set.

17. yea talkglass is where you wanna be bro.

18. I registered but i am waiting on my email from a Admin. Says can take up to 24-48 hours :(

19. No disrespect man, you're obviously much more skilled in glass than I am, but it almost seems like you work for that website. Just the way you talk about it...

20. Dude smokey, im sorry bro but you just sound ignorant. Smiley is trying to help this guy out by referring him to the best glass artist reference on the web. Point blank period man.