Thinking of putting a grow tent in a cold attic..

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by McStrats, Oct 31, 2016.

1. The title says it all...I have outgrown my 2' x 5' closet and would like to move up to the attic...but its really effing cold in the winter. I could tap into the HVAC and run a duct but I would be exhausting into a very cold attic. I am a carpenter by trade, so framing something out would be easy. I also have a 4'x4' grow tent that I haven't unboxed yet. 110V heaters scare me. I have always believed that you should supply 220v to electric heat for safety..tapping into a HVAC duct and returning the exhaust (through activated carbon) back into the house is another possibility.

Anyone else run into this?

2. Yes I live in a cold country, our house temperatures fall very low and I live in the attic of the house that has been converted to a room. What are your ambient temperatures in the attic and what type of lighting are you using? If your attic is around 14-18 degrees C, then your lights should provide adequate heating for your plants.

3. The lighting is LED and gives off a little heat but not much. I have thought about running the lights at night when its coldest but during the 6 hrs off it will still be in the 40's during the daytime.

4. .if you can, find a heater designed for a grow tent/room.. or find one that wont give off light, you may have to spend alot of money for somethign like that, but a heater that has a thermostat would definately be a must. also close off some of the ducting thats ducting out of your already existing roof somehow, to block the heat in and the cold out.... i would also constantly have my attic door open with fresh air intake, theres alot of dust, and probobly bugs up there, mites and such, you are going to have to keep the tent closed mostly and clean air intake.... also remember heat rises, so you could possibly block off any out/in in the attic to keep heat in and cold out.. i hope this helped.

5. 4 degrees celcius is very cold, id add an hps in your tent and try trapping heat but then you have a air circulation problem. Ultimately you have a serious problem because your ambient temperatures are too low. If i stick a tent outside my plants will also have heating problems

6. I might frame out a grow room and insulate it. I will most likely pull a tap from an adjacent HVAC duct and then run it through carbon before exhausting back into the heated living space. I went with LED in the first place because 110/1/60 is too hazardous for electric heat or for HPS type lighting...I believe that because of high amp draw they should all be 220v or 3-phase.

Anyone try a set up like this?

7. When it snows you will have a big melted spot on your roof unlike the neighbors. There is nothing more hazardous about 110v heating compared to 220, just get a good quality toekick heater and stick that in the bottom somewhere, add an afci plug if you are really worried.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. No where close to fire hazard man you will be fine. Worst case you trip a breaker

9. Just keep the space around the room the same temp that's all that way if they Flir you it all looks uniform ...thanks to the God of ganja I live in Boston where it's now LEGAL WOOHOO

• Like Like x 1
  10. Exhausting warm air into a cold attic would concern me with condensation ultimately leading to mold and mildew.

11. I live in a cold part of the uk and I'm growing in my attic which is converted into a very plain simple room. It's never had insulation added so it's freezing in the winter.
    I have a cheap oil radiator which just plugs into the mains.
    I've got a switch timer on it so it comes on when the lamps go off at night.
    Keeps it above about 18 degrees Celsius during night.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum