Thinking about using a 150w HPS? Don't bother- Here's why...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by CFLweasel, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ^^300 watt cfl for $15...I need a link or more info on that for sure, Are they in HD just with all the other cfls and bulbs? I hate to be skeptical but that sounds too good to be true..:smoke::smoke:

2. #102 Metalace, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
    Its just a huge CFL bulb, but still uses the standard lamp socket. There are located where the CFL bulbs are, my HD had them on the bottom shelf. Its in a large box thats white/green and made by TCP. I just picked one up earlier today. the bulb is about 4-5 inches long and about 3-4 inches wide. Apparently this is for industrial and the likes.

TCP Expands its 289 Series CFL Product Line
    Power - 300 watt equivalent, using 68 watts / 120 volts
    Color - White
    Range - 2700k
    Output - 4200 lumens
    Life - 10k hours
    Warranty - 18 months
    Price - $14.95

3. Aaaahhhh, that clears things up. Thats not a 300 watt bulb its a 68 watt bulb...go by actual watts rather than equivalent. Not trying to sound like a know-it-all or anything just trying to help and keep things accurate as well ;)...big difference between only having 68 watts and thinking you have 300+.

The "equivalent" is just the fact that the cfl will put out the same amount of light as roughly 300 watts of incandescent, while using considerably less power, only 68 watts.

That being said the price seems pretty good for that wattage. Not familiar with your grow space but check out some of these different wattages too. 2 to 200 Watt Compact Fluorescent CFLs | 1000Bulbs.com

I'd really prefer to have 60,65 watt cfls but I just can't find any at a decent price. If you jump down to the 30-40 watt range bulbs start at less than $3 a piece for 2700k, so the cost is reduced greatly versus the total wattage you get..plus obviously more bulbs means more points of light- better light distribution. Or if you wanna jump up to the 80-100 watt range, bulbs start at less than $20 a piece! Still pretty affordable.

I still haven't decided if I wanna go with fewer, higher wattage bulbs or more, lower wattage bulbs..I'm assuming the 80, 105 watters would put off a decent amount of heat thats the only thing steering me towards lower wattage and the price of the lower wattage bulbs...120+ watts, 8000+ lumens, for less than $10 plus shipping...sounds good to me :D.

Sorry if I rambled...wake n bake will do that to you. :smoke::smoke:

4. I JUST GERMINATED 2 SEED THER IN MY CLOSET WITH 150W 120V LIGHT ND A 26W CFL WILL I B ABLE TO GROW SOME NICE BUDS OR WAT????:confused::confused:
    PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME ADVICE:cool:

5. turn off caps

6. I've read multiple places that a big part of yield has to do with genetics and quality of environment.

What kind of 150watt light is it...hid? I'd get a few more cfls as well, make sure to get a mix of color temperature if you can..2700k, 6400k, full spectrum, just for good measure :).

Read through some of the stealth/lower wattage journals and threads and you can get an idea as far how much bud you can get based on how much training you apply, space you have, and light wattage/plants. The best way to learn about growing is to search through all the journals and read them from start to finish, learn from the success/failures of others and apply all the knowledge you can.

Keep asking questions too, just turn the caps off :D. :smoke::smoke:

7. 1rst full grow just got my 150w hps set up and have been flowering for 2 days then i come across this :( wish i would have done a little more research, but trial and error is a huge part of becoming an experienced grower, thx for the thread

8. Dont worry, i read the thread tonight too and im still pretty sure i can fit more dense buds 1- 10 inches away from my hps then i can 1-3 inches away from a cfl or a t5. Lumens per watt are only 1 side of the story, You cant foget about light intensity when it comes to flowering! Hid , High INTESITY discharge.. It penetrates stronger that is why we dont have giant cfl street lights lol ( you wouldnt be able to see ! ) And as far as i know we are not here to grow leaves so its all about intensity for the flowers... I believe the primary reason why most people use cfls is because either 1 they are on a budget, 2 they cant fit hid in their space. Or 3, they are new to growing and think hps/mh is dangerous etc.. and they know cfls will work because they have seen other people use them online., they are readily available everywhere so they go cfl crazy..

cflweasel .. i read alot of your thread but did skim some. Im wondering what kind of yields your pulling in relation to gram per watt under cfl?

9. My 150Watt hps does pretty good I'm happy with it

• Like Like x 1
  10. This should be stickied for sure. Great post.

11. the plants like the hps color spectrum way better though

12. Great post! Thanks for the info.

13. The start of this thread is bunk. Lumens don't sum. If you have 2 CFLs that put out 3000 Lumens each, total Lumens is 3000 Lumens, not 6000 Lumens.

On top of that, plants don't care about Lumens, since they are a measurement based on the human eye. Radiance is a better measurement.

14. I agree with last post. Par is the real measure for a light and hid has a way better par value than cfls. Also as stated above your not taking into account the color spectrum. Most cfls r in the 2700k range, while most hps's r in 2100k range. Thiis is a huge difference bcuz more of the hids light is actually being used by plant; which brings us back to par values.

In veg its ok for cfls, but in flowering even the smallest hps is better lighting for plant, notice i didnt say most effiecient. Thats another story. And by the way all ive been using so far iis cfls, so i do have some experince. Also an 150watts hps will probably run cooler than 8-10 26watt cfls. So when looking for lights if u can go w/hps...if not cfls will grow respectable buds too.

15. check out my 150 watt and 96 watts of t5 grow.

16. Can you expound on this a bit please? Im a CFL grower and was thinking about upgrading to HPS. Im still in limbo though because I already got a bill that is higher than I would like. I currently run about 316 true watts of CFLs. I was thinking about going with a 150 watt HPS because the energy cost should be approx the same when you add the ballast (if I am correct) but I have also heard elsewhere that just going to 150 is sort of pointless but I cant really go with a 250 watt due to the higher bill for that light and ballast. I literally cannot go anymore than $5 more or the wife is gonna kill me:D.

17. Anybody??:confused:

18. Hey guys,

This will be my first post here, but I've been doing a proverbial f*ck tonne of reading.

I have 5 sativas, which I've been growing for about 7-8 weeks. They seem to be ready to begin 12/12 so I've set up a dark room in my house to cater for this.

I have an osciallating fan for ventilation and just ordered two 130 watt CFL reflectors + bulbs. One at 2700k and one at 6400k (I know 6500k is ideal, but the pack they came in was a bargain). I plan to also use a third bulb, of the same wattage (2700k also) and position it closer to the undergrowth of the plants to induce budding.

I have a few main questions.

Has anyone had problems, converting an outdoor set-up into a CFL, just for the flowering stage?

Is it worth buying mylar for something this small? (i.e. will in increase yield significantly?)

Am I missing anything significant in my setup? (e.g extra lighting, ventalation etc.)

19. Thanks Syphex. Im currently just shifting them from indoor to outdoor every 12 hours, but obviously this isnt ideal due to the small amount of shock the plant undergoes from this. I have a journal thread now if you'd like to see how they are looking.

20. #120 SmokeyDingo, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
    Cheers man,

They are 2700K spectrum 30 watts each, for flowering. I should have two more 130Ws at (2700k & 6400K) positioned a little higher as well as a second 130W 2700k at base height to increase coverage.

Just deleting previous posts for security reasons. Decided its safer to keep a private journal. If you would like to see my progress just throw me a pm. :)

P.S Thanks for the tip on super cropping. Just did a heap of reading and im going to give it a try. :cool: