Thinking about taking a break from college.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by camondrums, Apr 2, 2013.

1. In September of last year I moved from Southern California out to the desert of California just north of California City. I live with my aunt, a professor at the college in town. My parents pay for me to go to college out there and I work there a few hours a week as a tutor.

First things first it was my decision to move here. I did not want to live with my parents anymore. My aunt asked me if I wanted to live with her My parents pushed me to go to the community college that my aunt works at instead of going to a university i got accepted to. They were worried that my mediocre grades would carry on into college Eventually, I decided community college was the best option for me. The first semester went by great until the end. At the end I began dedicating my time to my relationship. I started doing less and less work. I still ended the semester with the best grades of my life.

Second semester comes around and the classes are 10x harder. I fell behind early in my physics class and never caught back up. I had to drop the class last week. I'm not doing well in my calculus class but this one was all my fault. I though just because I took the class in high school that I could not do some of the homework and do well. Was I wrong. Now I am behind in that class too. I fell behind in English also but defiantly not as far as the others. I have no motivation to do me work anymore.

I've gotten to the point where I don't want to leave my room. I lack the motivation to go to class on most days. I just sit on the computer and watch the hour waste away. I have no real sleep schedule either. Sometimes I just sleep so I don't have to think about failing. I feel that I am putting all of this stress on myself for my parents.

I would be content if I could stop going to school after this semester. I could get another job this summer and save up money with my girlfriend. When we move out I would not be able to afford to go back to college because I highly doubt my parents would support me after I pull this shit. I mean I wouldnt if I was them.

I just want to be happy for a little bit. I want to take control of my life for a little bit. Then when I do have the money to go to college, I will. I feel that this experiences will motivate me. Do you guys think its possible to be successful if I drop out of college and return at a later date with my own money?

Thanks for listening.

2. I think that school is the most important part and is what u should focus on. Either power thru your courses and if that means doing all your homework and even studying in your spare time finish your course; or alternatively switch to an easier course because maybe this isnt what your in to. pick something your passionate about cus ur gunna be doing it for the rest of your life

3. I too believe school is most important but this isn't a recent problem. If I do power through the classes then I slack off and ruin all my hard work. I try to stay motivated but I get overly optimistic. I can only seem to stay motivated until I get a bad mark or someones says something discouraging. After that I run myself into an even bigger hole.

My work ethic when it comes to school is awful. I want to find something to really motivate me. I can't think of anything better motivation than using my hard earned money to go to school.

4. I have faced the exact same situation, in my second semester last year, and this semester again. And honestly, its normal and you should just realize that there has to be a lot pressure on you from multiple aspects of your life. I think all that psychological pressure is what makes you unmotivated for school

You should ask yourself, and try not to be biased by anyone or anything, just think from deep down inside: What would you be doing if money didn't matter? What would you do with your time on earth if money simply did not matter?

If you answer that question honestly (you can't always) then that's what you should pursue and try to figure out a way of living off of that.
    Now some people may say "i wanna go to the moon" or things like "just get high all day cause I wouldn't have to work for money". but that's not what the question is asking.

If you spend your time doing something you like to do, you will be motivated, and with years you may gain enough experience so that people will recognize you and will pay you to do it.

5. If you can make a living from doing what you are passionate about, then that is being successful, to my eyes.

6. Sounds like me awhile ago man. School wasn't cutting it for me, it wasn't that it was hard it was just not interesting. I wasn't challenged enough in my classes. I suggest trying to get harder classes, if you are putting in hard work to get ahead only to slack off again that isn't good, a good level class for oyu will make you work at a constant pace the whole time. College isn't hard man, you obviously realize at least part of that, it is all about time management, especially if college is being paid for by your parents, don't pass that opportunity up ever. This world more than ever is about setting yourself apart from the rest of the people. What are you willing to do that they won't?

7. I am going to change my major. At first I was an Engineering major. After the first time I asked myself this, I decided that teaching would be a good profession. When you asked me this I though immediately, "I want to help people." I think counseling would be a good way to go. I'm going to talk to my counselor tomorrow.

8. I'm still getting my a** out this little college town.

9. You'll be fine on break dude. I know plenty of kids who took a break and then did way better in school since they got re-focused or got the partying out of them so now theyre on straight grind mode with school. I currently am on break along with 10 other friends because of unfortunate events that happened with all of us or for the others, their grades were too low. It's refreshing to have a break because I was always under stress my freshman year with my family but now I'm refocused and tried to help my family so I wont be stressed out from them. I got a job and I saved up for when I go back in the summer I will have extra cash and I wont have to work super hard during the semester

10. I'm going back to college in a week. A break is just fine dude, it'll help you out more than you would've ever known. I'm glad I took a break because I started fucking up in college too. Now I'm going back in with a job and an actual goal. Take your time, college is a bit more forgiving than you think.

11. Regardless you shouldn't take advice from random people on the internet about your own life.

With that being said, I dropped out of college last semester due to being caught with allot of weed and by dropping out, I didn't get anything on my transcripts/records/ arrested/ got all my money for tuition and housing back.

However, I miss school greatly and can't wait to start back up. :cool:

Engineering is a hard major man and if you don't love it, it might be best to switch majors. Take some fun classes, things your interested in. If you did do really well last semester and wanna leave, transfer out. there are other schools and the transfer date isn't over yet. Also, you aren't living on campus In other words, you are missing out on part of the experience.

12. Do what you want man cuz its wats gonna make you happy. You dont gotta impress the rents cuz thts not ur goal in life. Do what makes you happy