Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Thinking about moving to Canada

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by derpyhooves, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Alright so when I finally graduate with my Bachelors, I've been thinking about moving to Canada. No, not just because they're way more chill up there about everything, including weed, at least I've been told. But because I believe the US is becoming a police state. Long story, not relevant. Anyway. I know the immigration plan for moving up there (permanent resident ID card > The 5 years later apply for citizenship). What I want to know is what should I know, as an immigrant and as a toker, before I move up there?

2. I've been considering this myself for the same reason you are. My girl is into the idea too so it can be a real possibility.

3. I already have 2 people wanting to go with me so were moving together.

4. I plan to move to Canada as well, but believing the US is becoming a police state is idiocy

5. and by the by you can't just move to canada for no reason, you'll have to have some qualification, some skill that would be useful.

6. [quote name='"ddog7x"']I plan to move to Canada as well, but believing the US is becoming a police state is idiocy[/quote]

Or is it?

7. It is.

8. [quote name='"wuidd420"']

Or is it?[/quote]

Yeah.

Canada ftw.

9. I'm thinking the exact same thing, as soon as I'm done with my Bachelor's. Same reason as well, I love this country beyond words, but there's a growing evil that cannot be ignored.

If the U.S. goes haywire though, who's to say Canada is safe? The two are very intertwined, especially in terms of oil trade. Anyone have an opinion on this?

10. sheeple is cute when being propaganda puppets for the state...

11. This. You can't just up and move to Canada. It's actually quiet hard to do.

12. please, you or anyone else, explain to me why the US specifically is becoming a police state

13. Just curious as to why you consider is opinion "idiocy"? Have U.S. citizen rights not been violated in recent years? Isn't there more government control than any other point in our history?

Just trying to understand your reasoning

14. Don't let them get you riled up.... it's what they're trying to do.

Let them go if they wanna go.... who cares?

I'll continue trusting that I'll be just fine here in the US. Everyone else can keep whining about how bad they think it is, while I go on knowing how good it is.

15. it's becoming a police state because the people are waking up. sometimes it takes a recession for people to see what has been happening.

16. I do not trust any government that can detain, in jail, its own citizens it deems terrorist threats, without charge, trial, or access to an attorney or any due process (National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 {NDAA})

17. [quote name='"Miyagi"']

Yeah.

Canada ftw.[/quote]

Canada FTW!

18. >US citizens rights being violated

rights get violated literally every day. that's what the ACLU is for. the government cannot hold you indefinitely unless you are a suspected terrorist. we have the right to free speech, free press, free religion, free assembly, free petition, life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, etc. not to mention some of the most advanced health care in the world. policies and people are becoming more liberal and less conservative. drug policy is slowly becoming rational and legalization of marijuana and other drugs is very likely to happen within our lifetimes. the US government is inefficient and bought and sold, but we have superb quality of life here.

>more gov't control than any other point in our history

not sure what you're referring to, and it's not necessarily a bad thing for the government to have a lot of power.

19. I trust that the government is not going to go around arresting political activists and anti-government speakers calling them terrorists. and I am absolutely certain that if something like that started to happen, there would be a revolution on the scale of the american revolution of the 1700s.

by the way they don't just arrest them and leave them to sit in jail for the rest of their lives, they actually do put them on trial/investigate and charge them if they're deemed guilty.

20. Yeah, what they said.

Immigrating to Canada

If you want to apply as a skilled worker/professional you have to:
    * have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
    * be an international student enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet certain criteria.

If you want to apply under the Canadian Experience Class you need two years of authorized (like with a work permit, which has it's own requirements) work experience in Canada, or be "a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada."

Then there are other requirements if you want to apply as an investor, entrepreneur or self-employed.

There are fees too. Applying as a skilled worker/professional will cost ya about $560 USD.