Thinking about growing northern lights

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by amsterlanta, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Indoors, worried about the smell. Has anyone grown this strain indoors? How strong are they aroma wise?

2. Northern Lights is one of the oldest and most stable plants out there right now (not too mention good smoke)... Excellent for beginners because they're very forgiving... Yield is very nice and the smell isn't ridiculously strong but just get a carbon filter, put it on your exhaust fan and poof, no smell! Hope that helps!

3. ok, thinking about using the attic ;)

4. how much yield can i expect from 3 plants? generally..

5. Attic's get very hot in the warmer months, heat can be a big factor if there isn't enough ventilation, think out your setup completely before jumping in, it could cost you more money and work in the long run! Let us know if you have any other questions. Good Luck!

6. It all depends on which Northern Lights you choose. There are a some which smell really strong, other which have a very light scent.

Yields would be dependant on the same factors. I can asnwer most of your questions once you make your selection known and the breeder source.

7. It depends on the strain and how much it yields... Some plants yield more than others, but if grown without any problems, you can get anywhere from an oz. to a quarter pound each plant. Keep in mind you want all female plants... Male plants don't yield anything worth wasting the time on them.

8. #8 amsterlanta, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
    Thanks for the help everyone, i plan to build a box in the attic floor to ceiling. Temps are in the 50's here for the next couple months so that's an issue i suppose. I plan on ordering fems from nirvana these:

http://www.nirvana-shop.com/en/feminized-marijuana-seeds/white-widow-feminized-2.html

(Says white widow but is n lights on page..)

Looking to flower them as soon as possible, not looking for a long grow. I don't really need the yield all personal use. Tried many in amsterdam and this was the fav. I'm going to start collecting things to build the box, get the seeds ordered etc.

Ventilation and electricity are no problem, also not really on a tight budget. maybe if boxed in the heat from the lights would help bring up to proper temps?

9. Not sure which one nirvanna carries. When I said "depends on strain" I meant that there are 5 Northern Lights varieties. Although they are similar in genetics, they are all different in their own right.

My guess it is the #5 version, since this is the most available today. It was a good potent plant, very dense flowers, and does not have a strong scent when compared to the #1 & #2X5. I think the NL 35 gives the best yields, but that the #2X5 is the most potent. However this is just my personal opinion.

I have flowered them at 12 inches and end with a very good yield. However if yield is a big concern, I would go a little more toward the 24 inch mark before flowering. I have also seen some 12/12 from seed grows with the #5 which came out very well.

It will be a matter of personal preference and your own personal expectations of what you want out of your grow. The #5 is very easy to grow, very forgiving, not very picky. It has been said it is the most perfect plant ever created for indoor growing.

I do hope you do a grow thread.

10. #10 amsterlanta, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
    lessismore,

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain more about the genetics. I picked it up at hunters coffee shop while i was there. I'm quite sure it wasn't labeled as any kind of cross just straight northern lights. Now, on the bag it was labeled NLx, so idk. It had almost zero taste, i mean completely neutral. Strong clear happy head high, very clear.

Here's a few pics from my trip a few weeks back, featured in the pics:

Big Buddha Cheese
    Hunters Haze
    Northern Lights (NLx)
    Silver Haze
    AK47

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Def will do a grow thread

11. only worry is that cultivation laws in GA are horrible even for personal use...:rolleyes:

12. It was probably #5, it is the most common. As long as you keep it simple, do not attract attention, and be stealthy, I would not worry much. NL grows small and compact, it can get good size, but it flowers well even at shorter heights.

Ga. laws are strict, but as long as it is just a couple plants, I do not see where it would attract much attention.

13. yep i'm going to do it, probably going to do 3 plants. One n. lights and 2 other strains. Should i just start 3 n lights incase it doesn't make it?

Big Buddha Cheese was pretty great too, fluffy almost.

14. #14 amsterlanta, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
    been thinking and thinking about the other two, looks like the lineup is going to be n. lights, blue mystic, undecided on the third.

Maybe idk..maybe i should post a vote for the third, that'd be interesting

Bubblelicious
    ak-48
    ak-47
    master kush
    jack herer
    black jack
    big buddha cheese

Ideas?

15. I'd go with Super Skunk... mmmmmm.... Good stuff!