thinking about giving it all up...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by flashlight, Mar 11, 2011.

1. i just turned 26. i have a great job that pays a lot. i bought my dream car 2 years ago. im single.

sounds pretty good...

Im just not happy doing what im doing or livin where im living. I am about 98% sure I am going to sell my car, cash in and backpack the world. One of my best friends left last June in the same fashion and has never looked back. Every day that goes by I question why I am not doing the same thing. Im young, single, have the money and time to see the world or atleast agood amount of it. Why not? Bc society says I should work my ass off every day, saving for a house and kids and car and retirement lol...screw that.

Anyway, I will be deciding in the next 2 weeks and going from there. Its a big decision. I would leave myself about 10k to come home to so Im not totally broke at the end of it, and also I have a lot of experience and a great resume right now so i could get back into business if i still wanted to when i returned..

What do you think? Would you, or have you, given it all up to go travel the world? What is life if you dont enjoy it? I also think this trip would change my life for the better, forever.

2. given your conditions, i say its a no-brainer-especially seeing the way you feel...id say do it man

3. Hey, if you're needlessly skipping through an existence you haven't appreciated since you were 15, then why do you think it's all going to get better by going on some crazy trip and getting into all sorts of debt?

Nobody wants to tell you how to live your life, your ideas are not acceptable nor wise at the relatively young age of 26, seek therapy.

4. well really i have felt this way for about 2 years. who said anything about debt? i have enough to go for 1.5 yrs and have 10k saved for when i return.

my ideas arent acceptable? lol. like i giv e ashit what society thinks is acceptable. i guess i should live like all the other robots of the world

5. Dude, do it before you hit 45 and feel the same way again, wishing that you had gone out there. Because by then it'll probably be too late.

6. if that's what you're vibing, i say do it man :hello:.

7. ^^ quoted for truth

8. You must sacrifice everything in your twenties (especially your earliest 20's) to gain the marks and stripes of academia (college) and manual labour (construction, mcdonalds, flight attendant) - all very taxing and low-paying positions as early as possibly in life so that growing older involves more leisure trips, more time spent with loved ones and better opportunities to meet better, prettier women once you reach 30 and beyond....all of this coming from having a wonderful job where you just wake up everyday and smile, this is the American Dream and it is totally attainable for anyone!

You are doing nothing but deferring your responsibilities for 'later' or 'the future' which we all know what that really means.

Save your money and go back to school, or take your money and go work in Europe for the next ten years, you're worth nothing to nobody right now but you can turn that all around, all it takes is the will to make it so.

9. How'd you get the great-paying job?

10. Did you read his first post at all? He already has the "dream" job and had the dream car at 24!!

11. The best time to travel and see the world is when you're young! You'll come back to your 10k and be able to settle down, get another similar job, and then start saving for retirement and everything. Travel and gain the life experience while you can, before you have family obligations and such!

12. See if you can take a one year leave from your job lol. No but I would talk to your friend and see if you could meet up with him. So you dont end up alone in a bad situation or something. And I would also want to ,make sure that when you come back everythong would be able to be as it is now, but the 10k sounds like itll do that.
    So in other words Do it enjoy best of luck:hello:But try to keep a log or something and report your trip to us when you get back:wave:

13. ^^ that

14. Turning 45 in 8 days and its not too late, but you will feel a ton of regret if you don't follow your instinct on this.

Don't let fear keep you from living your dreams man.

15. I can totally understand you OP.

I've had bad wanderlust for as long as I can remember and one day I'm going to just up and leave. I would already be gone if I had 10k in the bank tho.

16. Go..........Immediatly

Enjoy it to the MAX.

Dude I'm 48 now, and because of health reasons I cant travel....not abroad anyway.
    One of my biggest regrets is not seeing the world.

peace B

17. Definatly do it, I once stood at the same crossroads you are at.Best decission I ever made was getting all my shit in order and once that was done I did not think about any "what ifs" I just dove in and booked a plane ticket.You will find another great job when you return.

Best of luck to you, now go live your life!

18. If I had the money, and I was single, I would definitely travel the world. I plan to if I'm in my early 20's and still single, with a good paying job of course. I would put up a little more money than that, just in case some bad shit DOES happen, you still have a nice sack of cash to lay back on.

19. I'd definitely travel the world in your position...I hope to be in the same position 4 years from now.

20. You kidding me? Dude, go!! That's a win-win situation.

Fuck saving up for a home, wife, kids....go out, live life & see the world. It could change your life. Plus you'll be able to come back to 10k so you will be on your feet.

There's nothing to lose, if I ever had a similar situation I would be outta here so quick :smoke: