Thinking about getting my first bong

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Frösty, Feb 11, 2013.

1. So I am thinking about getting my first bong sometime soon, I have owned three pipes, one of which broke the other two I got rid of because I am not really a pipe person, I have always been into rolling my own stuff but now I am thinking about investing in a bong.

I am looking to spend $80-200, obviously if I can find something with good quality at a good discount I would take the 80 side but I am expecting it to be more in the 150ish range.

I really like bongs that have several percolators (especially the tree percs). I have been looking a lot around online, and wondering what brands people think I should go for in the under 200 dollar range/stay away from or any suggestions? There is two head shops close by but since they are the only ones within 50 or so miles, I can imagine their selection is hugely over priced, or at least from what I have looked at, but overall any suggestions on good brands? So far I've looked at the weed stars and I am not really looking for anything too small like bubbler sized, also my buddies awhile back had a ashcatcher on it, worth it or no?

2. I would either look at something Sheldon black in your price range or the shorter Dave Goldstein Rooster tube (~13"). It's going to be about +$100 but it'll be exponentially more enjoyable. As well as arguably cheaper considering you're going to buy your first piece, get addicted, and want to upgrade. The Goldstein will save you at least one upgrade the way I see it.

3. It sounds like he wants something simple. For 120 you can get a zob straight tube, another 60 for a gridded sov downstem. You can order both online. A simple tube with a great downstem would be great for a first peice. It would be durable and easy to maintain.

4. Yea, you're right when it comes to simplicity. Sheldon Black, Zob, Syn, all good companies. They will probably all come with a decent downstem too (def the Sheldons). I would either go beaker bottom or for less drag a straight tube and get an ash catcher. These options both give you good volume and smoke temperature.

5. I have heard of SYN before, I am looking for something simple, I was already thinking an ash catcher for sure, but yea overall I love the straight tubes, I tried searching grass city's shop (have looked other places as well, but grass city seemed the most reasonably priced with biggest selection), did not see Sheldon Black or Zob though, tried searching but didn't look too hard, could you point me in the direction to those?

As far as durability goes, I am super careful with pipes and bongs so I am not worried about it falling too many times so super durable isn't really a must but obviously accidents happen so I was thinking 5mm was a good thickness, any comments on that?

6. If you google aqua.lab who knows what you might find... 5mm should be fine as long as its quality glass (all the above brands use quality glass). I used to have a medicali ashcatcher with a circ in it that worked really well ($100) until my tube tipped and it broke. Also you should try googling "everyone does it".

7. ya everyone does it I am familiar with, didn't really like a whole lot on there, but I'll take a good look again, is there specifics I should look for when it comes to qualities of good glass, or does it solely depend on the company and just finding out if that particular brand uses good glass? If that makes any sense..

8. 5mm + for thicknesses

9. I would say that Apix Designs would be a pretty good option. You said you wanna spend around $150, and I think his gridded stemline is like $140 plus shipping. Just google Apix Designs.

I think a gridded stemline would be a good choice because it's simple, but still has great diffusion. Then all you'd need is maybe another slide.

10. CHEECH GLASS 16

simple, attractive, 3 percs, ice pinch and 7mm.

idk about that seller but it's a good buy if it's legit

11. 3 percs=\=simple. I can't imagine cleaning 2 honeycomb percs. Three is out of the question. I don't know about cheech glass, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was low quality glass.

12. Yaaaaa I'm trying to stay away from sellers that aren't reputable or possibility of being low quality, I'm not stringent with my money, I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars but if it means spending 200 for a good glass than I am for it. As far as multiple percs go, one maybe two simple percs is what I am looking for, I have hit bongs that have three tree percs and more and really to be honest I don't notice a difference, I'm sure there is one, but I really don't care enough..

Black leaf any good? I liked their flaming skull bong a lot, with maybe a nice ash catcher?

13. #13 SpyVSpy, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
    If you want something with multiple percs etc, there is the Blaze tower bong here on grass city and it is 7mm. It's at the very top of your budget though.

Edit: Hmm, it was $200, now it is $299. Nothing a discount can't handle though.

14. naw name get zob, syn or apix. black leaf or cheech are cheap bullshit. if you want real glass at a good price, those three would be the best imo

15. This is also a very nice choice. The gridded stemlines seem to be very effective yet simple percs. Although the only difference between this and an Apix is the size, because they cost almost the same.

16. I ended up going with the Apix gridded stemline, and I also ordered this ash catcher: Frost - Glass Perc Precooler - Blue - Ashcatchers / Pre-Coolers - Spare Parts - Smoking Pipes - Grasscity.com

Thoughts on ash catcher? My roommate has had an unfortunate few days and broke two pieces :( so looks like I have to come in with the clutch and get this bong sooner than I expected but I went with the cheaper ash catcher because I definitely have no idea what I should be looking for here, I mean I'm not an idiot and I can figure sizes and junk but as far as good quality vs bad I don't have any idea where to begin, so I went with the cheaper ones on grass city, I do plan on upgrading though if this one doesn't seem to work out well but does anybody have any opinions on this ash catcher? By the way I really appreciate the help!

17. I just ordered the Apix shower-head piece for $180 yesterday.
    I asked him about ash catchers and he told me it was not necessary.
    I don't know why he said that... maybe cus he knows his airflow/diffusion is great enough?
    I thought ash catchers only prevents ash from getting into the bong?

18. Like I said I have barely any experience with ash catchers personally, so im sure someone with more reputable information could probably tell you better, but my understanding is an ash catcher basically catches any ash that comes from sucking in the bowl or whatever, but on top of that it also adds as another way to cool down the smoke even further and possibly even filter it?

Then obviously it helps keep the bong cleaner as well, I guess the reason he might have told you not to get the ash catcher is because it would cause too much drag? Just a thought, like I said I have zero idea too I'm just guessing at probable reasons:p

19. Apix designs, type that in on google and check out his website, you can email him too about what you want If something doesn't interest you on the website.