Think im ready to grow 1st Crop

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chefcraig, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hi

just wanted to make sure i have got everything i need for starting my 1st crop. I have got:
    Grow tent
    Fan
    2x 600w lights
    Extractor fan & Carbon filter
    8 pot Wilma hydro system
    Timer
    Ducting and clips
    Jiffy plugs
    Seeds
    Canna Coco
    Hydro pebs
    Ph test plus up and down
    Nutrients and booster

Before i start im unsure about one main thing. After the seeds are germinated, i will place them in the jiffy plugs, but want light should i use before they are ready to go into the hydro system????

2. it depends ...are your 600 watt lights hids? metal halide or hps? if so do not use those as they will fry your seedlings...i would go for a set of t-5's or if you want to get away cheap with still good results id get a couple of 23 watt daylight cfls...those are the 6500ks i believe ...it all depends on how many plants your going to be doing...if your doing multiple id get atleast a 125watt cfl with a reflector to get them growing nicely then once the first set of leaves turn into actual pot leafs then you can throw them under a higher power light system ..make sure to keep that light a good distance from them untill they are more mature tho...hope that helps

3. I do a small portable T5 fluor light not sure on the wattage, i will check......... ha, its only a 8w

how many hours of light will they require wiv a 23w lamp??

4. how many seedlings do you have??? and ur going to want to keep them under the cfls 24/7 untill they start geting a decent size then you can back it off to 18/6 or 16/8

5. I have 8 seeds, fully aware only half will be any good to smoke. Think i will need a 125w, gutted local supermarket is selling 23w bulbs for 10p

6. You dont need much light when they sprout. Reason being they are creating there root system at this point. A have a small 24w t5 humidome that works great for the first week or so.

7. #7 love2grow87, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011
    ya what blutis said if you only think four of them will make it through ur not going to need such a big cfl...as you stated earlier you already have a light setup for when they get bigger and develop their root system so all you need is something to just keep them growing untill they reach that state ...a couple 24 watt cfls (daylight 6500k) should do the trick ...or a small t-5 setup or if your on a budget even some shop fluros will work to get them started...i have 12 plants right now about 7 inches tall underneath 3 250 watt cfls with reflector hoods each bulb pushing out about 15,000 lumens so 45,000 lumens total...and they thrive...but for the set-up you have and what your trying to achieve i think a high watt cfl is over kill...