Things you wish you knew as a noob?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BigD1128, Nov 6, 2016.

1. As a total noob there are things I learned from my own mistakes that I wish I knew earlier on. I hope some people with experience will chime in here to help out other beginners.

The first thing I wish I knew was how slow things will be the first 2-3 weeks. I expected explosive growth immediately. Not realizing that most of the growth was going on underground. After the roots established the growth above soil was insane.

• Like Like x 5
  2. It is not easy to keep water and room temps low in warm areas of the country

• Like Like x 3
  3. That I didn't have to buy tons of supplements to start out with. I ended up wasting a lot of money trying to get things perfect from the get-go, instead of starting off slowly and adding as I grew.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 4
  4. I agree 100%

5. keep it simple.

6. I too bought way to much shit I do not need but one day I hope to grow to need it lol

7. I started out with building grow boxes out of wood, this was way before the days where tents came along. I designed my boxes with 4ft of height so I was able to use the top as a work surface. That dam 4' height gave me so much arse ache, training the plants to keep them small was so much work. U used those boxes for many years and if I knew how important height is it would have given me tons more bud.

Also when going from CFLs to HPS was one hell of an eye opener . Not just the huge difference in yield per watt, but loads less work too

And I wish I tried hydro earlier . I had the impression that hydro is harder than soil but it's actually much easier

8. I too wish I knew that the difficulty of hydro was over rated sooner! For me at least hydro is so much easier than even my easiest soil grow and the yields...damn the yields are so so much more!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Not to be overwhelmed and take 1 step at a time. and just enjoy the pleasure and remember why i started growing in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I started with hydro. It drove me crazy. For my situation soil is way easier to manage. I wasn't familiar with how fast the plant grows and was constantly messing with the seedlings. Hydro wasted a solid 4 weeks of grow time for me. I plan on giving it another shot once I am more familiar with the basics of growing.

11. Ok so I'm a noob and you guys talking about nutes saying you didn't need as much I'm in the stage where I'm looking to start giving my plants nutes and been overwhelmed on what to get can someone weigh in?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12. I'm new at growing truly don't know shit but I have to say that I mixed up some super soil ( modified version) and I haven't had to add any nutrients yet. I'm week 1 into flowering . The girls look great! Although I did have trouble knowing the boys from the girls lol. The only thing that lm doing differently now is I've added a 1/2 tsp of molasses per gal of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Forgot to tell all the problems. Started out with one of those closet hydro boxes. Total wast of money and time. Decided to mix my on super soil best move ever at least for me anyways. Changed lights 3 different times ended up with led. Over watered a time or two. Freaking lost power for 4 days because of hurricane. It's nothing short of a miracle that they look like they do.

14. Fridges get too hot even with CFLs

Sent from my HUAWEI LUA-L02 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  15. ventilation, ventilation, ventilation, ventilation, and move some air too

• Like Like x 5
  16. Agree; I trashed the hydro box and ended up taking the tools out of the storage area and turned it into a grow room. Added a A/C and some fans.

17. I started inside late winter, then moved outside, started flowering outside (moving plants in and out of dark room every day...... What a PITA!!!), then finished under lights, and that's the part I wish I'd realised, how much light you need to artificially cover a 4.5' tall plant!!! I completely wasted 13 weeks in veg, fought off bud rot (losing some bud) for several weeks before deciding to try and finish them inside but I had no where near enough lighting and I ended up with with lots of bud, very few trichomes and such low THC I'd have been better off starting her flower cycle at 4-5weeks so I could've actually finished her.... It was really heartbreaking to make it thru all the struggles (mostly my mistakes/lack of knowledge-experience/difficult environment to stabilise), just to fail so miserably at the most critical time..... They were budding nicely, one was getting sticky but the others were a little slower, then they came inside before they got sticky (but the one that was already sticky, which finished OK) and I basically shut the lights off..... Understand, where I am there is over 18 hrs of daylight for months, then I brought them in and tried to light up big bushy plants that were used to full true sunlight and a lot of it and starved them for light. Lesson definitely learned on how important quality lighting is....

Happy smoke trails! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I am glad I listened before I bought, spend all your money on the light , you can rig almost everything else but you can not cheat light...........

• Like Like x 1