Things are getting F***ed up in San Jose

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by purple grapes, Sep 14, 2011.

1. http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_18886780

San Jose votes to curb medical marijuana industry

The Associated Press
    Posted: 09/13/2011 03:13:18 PM PDT
    Updated: 09/13/2011 07:43:47 PM PDT

SAN JOSE, Calif.-San Jose lawmakers took a major step toward downsizing and regulating the city's thriving medical marijuana industry on Tuesday, adopting a package of zoning regulations and laws that will sharply limit how and where pot collectives can operate and initially cap their number at 10.
    Two years in the making, the new rules given preliminary approval by the City Council with an 8-3 vote are among the most detailed among the various frameworks local governments in California have adopted as they attempt to tread the thin line between complying with the state's medical marijuana laws and inviting intrusion from the federal government, which does not recognize pot for medicinal use.
    Along with restricting the number of dispensaries, San Jose's regulations also will require licensed collectives to grow all the medical marijuana they distribute on-site, to maintain logs detailing every amount they sell and to whom, and to package their wares in child-proof containers that list the name of the recommending doctor and the patient.
    City officials estimate that San Jose, the nation's 10th-largest city, has about 140 cannabis dispensaries and delivery services, only 71 of which are paying a local tax on such services the council adopted earlier this year.
    "It seems to me we have a lot to learn as we roll these things out, and it's probably better for us to make those mistakes in a smaller fashion instead of letting the genie out of the
    Advertisement

bottle," Councilman Sam Liccardo said. "Although I think we all recognize the genie has run amok."
    A handful of residents who use medical marijuana or work for the existing clubs complained that the policies were too restrictive and urged the council to license at least 25 dispensaries. Dispensary operators also vigorously opposed the on-site cultivation provision, saying they would have to plant huge gardens that would make them targets for federal drug raids.
    "There are those of trying to do things the right way, and we feel attacked," Ace Salvatore, director of CV Care collective, said.
    Craig Beresh, director of the California Cannabis Coalition, warned the council that he would sponsor a ballot referendum to overturn the regulations if they were adopted. Last week, his group successfully stalled a new law that would have prohibited pot clubs in Kern County by submitting enough signatures for a referendum.
    "Well, now I know why many cities banned it altogether," Mayor Chuck Reed quipped as the council was urged to delay its vote.
    If the council gives the regulations final approval on Sept. 27, clubs would compete for the 10 operating licenses through a first-come, first-served registration process starting in November. Those that do not win a slot will be ordered to close.
    The ones allowed to operate under the new regulations would be required to close by 8 p.m. and prohibited from having any on-site ingesting or occupying street-level storefronts in areas that get a lot of foot traffic.

2. That shit is fucked....

3. This is happening all over California we need them to stop before they try to shut it down completely.

4. Shit like this already occurred here in Montana, SB423 fuckt us... 26+ dispensaries raided so far too. And they just burned a 3,000 plant grow in Lolo National Forest. There are only a few advertising caregivers left in my area... not even sure if it's worth getting your card now. :rolleyes: (i know patients so im good to go ;))

5. I think it would be important to see which 10 are allowed to distribute and what ties they have to the City Council. I smell kick backs and collusion.

6. The worst part is about on site growing. How is that not asking for trouble with burglaries? Also, clubs will only grow indoor strains. I don't see how the town has any right to stop a collective. Maybe they can stop cooperatives, non-profits, or dispenseries.... but collectives?

7. US: Lawmakers in Calif.'s 3rd-largest city take step toward limiting medical marijuana industry
    WashingtonPost / AP / 09,13,2011

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Lawmakers have taken a big step toward downsizing and regulating the medical marijuana industry in the nation's 10th-largest city.

San Jose's city council gave preliminary approval Tuesday to regulations that will sharply limit how and where pot collectives can operate and cap their number at 10. Officials estimate San Jose has about 140 cannabis dispensaries and delivery services.

If the council gives the regulations final approval on Sept. 27, clubs would compete for the 10 operating licenses on a first-come, first-served basis. Those that do not win a slot will be ordered to close.

The rules also will require licensed collectives to grow all the marijuana they distribute on-site. Dispensary operators say they would have to plant huge gardens that would make them targets for federal drug raids.

Big business has probably noticed the profits available and we will probably hear a lot more about this as they try to regulate out the competition. Ten dispensaries taking over where 140 have already established customers will take some huge grows.

8. Or, like New Mexico, you will have shortages and people go without. Sometimes people here have to wait weeks to get any kind of medicine. We aren't even allowed dispensaries. Just producers. No collectives, no cooperatives, just producers. Most towns don't even have a producer. When you finally do get some you have to pay a 20 - 30 dollar delivery fee on top of the cost of the Cannabis.

9. Luckily though, since it is Cali, we can just go to Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, across the bridge, up to SF, over to Berkley, etc etc etc. It just sucks because there are some very good clubs in San Jose. Also, anyone who donates to clubs in San Jose will be screwed by the new rule making it so the clubs have to grow it on site.

10. This is just more evidence that we should all stop working toward these mmj programs and quit fighting to save the ones we already have, imo.
    If all activists decided that from now on, the only acceptable outcome is legalization for all adults, I believe that results would be quicker and better in the long run.

With the systems as is, it's apparently too easy to keep fucking with the patients like this.
    Legalize and patients have no worries about getting meds.
    That's what I think, anyways.
    This kind of shit pisses me off.

11. That is when you buy the generic mmj from the guy in the park!:smoke:

12. city council? what the fuck, why are they running shit?

13. Here we go again. The city will shut 'em down, then the dispensaires shut down will file lawsuits and off to court they go. This bullshit cost my city about $1 million in lawyers fees and the outcome was that the dispensaires were allowed to reopen.

It's time to legalize and put these politicians back to work at something that is a benefit to society. We have too many major problems to even be dealing with this bullshit - and fuck these these city council bitches who think they can sit there and spend their term trying to control a harmless plant.

14. It's time to get it legalized already so this crap won't even be an issue. Until then we're just gonna keep getting bs like this where our politicians blatantly ignore the wishes of their constituents.

15. Support your local grower dont buy at dispensaries anyway. The one puttin in the work needs to be makin the cheddar not somebody that hires some cute chick to stand behind a counter......

16. Its not like local growers advertise themselves where I am. Other than the people I see in clubs, I have, for the most part, no idea who grows let alone who is medical patient.

17. I'm one of the lucky ones. I have a grow license. I grow my own. :D

18. Even if weed was fully legalized the government would still control its sale - just like alcohol.

Everyone should just grow their own and screw the government.

19. So do I,,,but I carry it one step further,,,I don't sell marijuana,,,I don't buy marijuana,,,,no market = no violence.

20. Which is still better than what we have now. Not everyone can grow their own and even if you do there's still big risks involved. We shouldn't have to put up with this silliness.