Thick, black, sticky buds

Discussion in 'General' started by plastique, Jan 19, 2013.

1. #1 plastique, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
    I recently got these strange looking really thick and heavy black buds with big black sticky chunks that almost seem like resin but it isn't that.

What the shiz is this? Pic attached. Edit: Attached better photos.

Attached Files:

2. No one here can tell you what strain it is with 100% accuracy. Maybe its a chocolate strain of some sort, or a super dark purple strain.

3. #3 plastique, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
    Sorry, my question was rather if it is safe to smoke? I've never seen anything like this and was wondering if it may be mold or something? These buds were mixed in with 'regular' buds that we usually get.

There is very thick black tar-ish resin-ish parts only seem to cover some parts of the bud (visible on the left of the bud in the pic) that definitely don't seem like any kind of bud any of us have ever seen.

4. Yeah only the grower can tell you for sure what the genetics are. It actually does look black though (instead of a dark purple). What does it smell like?

5. The fact it was in a bag of regular green looking Bud I would be sketched and up to you what ya willing to do with it.

6. It has a pretty strange smell that I've never smelled before... Kind of damp smelling.

7. Some of the smaller buds are basically like a solid ball. I will try and get better pics later of some of the other buds.

8. There were quite a few of them though... More than half of the buds actually, considering they are substantially heavier than the others. I just don't want to smoke it if its black mold or something.

9. like mold? Eh. Idk man.

Only real way to find out is smoke it. Have you tried breaking a piece off and taking a tiny rip to get any effects?

I will admit it does look strange, especially the color. and you saying it has a "damp" smell does not indicate a necessarily good outcome.

10. maybe its covered in bud rot. does it feel moist and sticky?

11. Yer, when I pull it apart inside it is quite brown and moist and gritty/stringy.

The black thick tar stuff seems to be just on the outside of the buds, not through them.

12. I just had a rip and it seemed alright, but was really damp and seemed to take about twice as long as normal to burn and pull through, and pretty bad after-taste.

13. Mainly the fact that some buds have thicker, blacker parts and that it only covers the outside of the bud in certain parts is what concerns me.

14. yeah i wouldnt smoke it, if i question the quality i wont smoke it

15. I think DavidTokeHead is right and its bud rot. Either that or some weird form of mold or other degradation. I would put those buds aside. How does the rest of the batch look?

16. That is enough info for me. I would not smoke that.

As a matter of fact, I have never in a long ,long career of smoking weed, have I ever seen anything like that.

17. Tell your dealer, try to have them replaced or get a refund. If possible, tell him you'll meet up to show him whats wrong.

18. The rest of it seems fine, nice and green and dried well and pulls through easily.

These ones are really brown and stringy and moist inside and not green at all.

There is quite a lot of it though... About half an ounce. Should I mention it to my guy? I've been getting off the same guy for years and he's a good guy, never had an issue before, maybe he doesn't even realise?

I'll try and get some better pictures of all of it later.

19. In fact you can actually see some of the green leaves from the regular buds stuck to the black crap in the pic to notice the color difference.